rllmuk
Gorf King

Destiny 2 Shadowkeep: the Undying Grind

Just got to Level 25 on the Season Pass, which is as far as I am going to get this time (started pretty late). Rather chuffed though as the Exotic Engram it gave as a rewarded ended up being Orpheus Rig, which given I'm a Nightstalker is pretty handy.

On 07/12/2019 at 13:07, moosegrinder said:

We tried the 950 and got absolutely pasted. That shit just isn't fun for me.

I got lucky with the LFG and got 2 guys in a similar boat to me.

It took us about an hour and genuinely had a nice time as a we panicked, screamed, won, lost and joked together.

It still shits mad orbs with top tree if you fire it into the middle of where the waves of enemies spawn during the Escalation Protocol final boss, and if you fire one in front of an altar enemies are currently spawning from in Altars of Sorrow, you're all but guaranteed to get your super back before it runs out. With bottom tree you get a few extra shots.

My guardians are all colour-coordinated with their emblems for season's eve, and my non-mains each have 62 completed weekly and daily bounties on them ready to turn in for season pass XP (plz no wipe bounties, Bungie) :ph34r:

tiger_release_final_20191204_030024.thumb.png.f292bb43d9c18fb165536b296ddd038c.png

tiger_release_final_20191204_030029.thumb.png.3b915523ad18191263e4bbfc720c863f.png

tiger_release_final_20191206_013455.thumb.png.252e430e4c17772b49f9b518632e5f91.png

• Upvote 2

The seasonal exotic not having an inherent anti champion ability like Vow or Bow feels like a mistake 

PC issues again. https://www.bungie.net/en/Forums/Post/254628542?sort=0&page=0

Graphics settings being changed by the server or something and not saving, so every time you load the game up its reset.

Never seen the game be so badly optimised as it has since Shadowkeep launched. What a mess. Couple that with the Eververse issues and the pinnacle/rewards problems, The future of the game's not looking that bright to be honest.

• Downvote 1

Pinnacle drops (960+ this season, 950+ last season) being only from the same 3 activities (plus raid), whereas Gambit and Crucible get nothing, as well as nightfall ordeal being the only source of prisms/shards. Crucible and Gambit rewards (armour especially has low stat totals) are not up to par with the other activities. Nightmare hunts feel underused, being that they are pretty tough (sometimes as hard, or harder than master nightfall ordeals - Crota especially), only giving a pinnacle drop, and the mods you get from the activity are mainly useless (have a look at the mods and what they do).

The other thing is there are only 2 activities (at present) that require higher than 950/960 power, and the artifact can get you up there regardless of drops. Also having to get another set of armour this season just to be able to use this seasons mod slot (Season of Dawn) is proving unpopular, as a fair few people have masterworked the previous seasons armour, and now feel it was a waste of materials (I havent done so, but know at least one person who has, and he wasnt pleased).

• Empathy 1

5 hours ago, Hexx said:

The seasonal exotic not having an inherent anti champion ability like Vow or Bow feels like a mistake 

it does by the way - alt fire staggers unstoppables

And you don’t seem to need to have equipped to progress catalyst 

4 hours ago, Mr Ben said:

having to get another set of armour this season just to be able to use this seasons mod slot (Season of Dawn) is

bullshit that's what. I'm out Bungo.

• Empathy 1

They really need to give you some encouragement to play Crucible and Gambit. There's not really any need to, bar XP from bounties and the pinnacle  each season.  

The ranks also mean absolutely nothing too, so why not give out a pinnacle reward or that ascendant shardy thing, when you reset your rank? 

I like playing Gambit and Crucible just for fun, but when the game has other parts which are grindy, laden with loot, quests or items each season, it's very easy to put them to one side and do stuff which has "progress". 

6 hours ago, Parksey said:

They really need to give you some encouragement to play Crucible and Gambit. There's not really any need to, bar XP from bounties and the pinnacle  each season.  

The ranks also mean absolutely nothing too, so why not give out a pinnacle reward or that ascendant shardy thing, when you reset your rank? 

I like playing Gambit and Crucible just for fun, but when the game has other parts which are grindy, laden with loot, quests or items each season, it's very easy to put them to one side and do stuff which has "progress". 

Totally this, didn't touch gambit in the last 2 seasons and I'm not one for grinding with lesser used weapons for the Pinnacle

• Upvote 1

Jötunn | Arbalest | Jötunn | Arbalest | Jötunn | Arbalest | Jötunn | Arbalest | Jötunn | Arbalest | Jötunn | Arbalest | Jötunn | Arbalest | Jötunn | Arbalest | Jötunn | Arbalest | Jötunn | Arbalest | Jötunn | Arbalest | Jötunn | Arbalest | Jötunn | Arbalest | Jötunn | Arbalest | Jötunn | Arbalest | Jötunn | Arbalest | Jötunn | Arbalest | Jötunn | Arbalest | Jötunn | Arbalest | Jötunn | Arbalest | Jötunn | Arbalest | Jötunn | Arbalest | Jötunn | Arbalest | Jötunn | Arbalest | Jötunn | Arbalest | Jötunn | Arbalest | Jötunn | Arbalest | Jötunn | Arbalest | Jötunn | Arbalest | Jötunn | Arbalest | Jötunn | Arbalest | Jötunn | Arbalest | Jötunn | Arbalest | Jötunn | Arbalest | Jötunn | Arbalest | Jötunn | Arbalest | Jötunn | Arbalest | Jötunn | Arbalest | Jötunn | Arbalest | Jötunn | Arbalest | Jötunn | Arbalest | Jötunn | Arbalest | Jötunn | Arbalest | Jötunn | Arbalest | Jötunn | Arbalest | Jötunn | Arbalest | Jötunn | Arbalest | Jötunn | Arbalest

• Upvote 2
  • Empathy 1

I'll say one thing about Destiny 2, for a free to play game they've managed to get me to open my wallet! I'm actually enjoying this so much that I've now bought both Forsaken and Shadowkeep and I'm actually looking forward to going through the Season of the Dawn stuff.  Maybe it's because I missed all the early grind since it was released but never thought I'd spend money on this game

Should I finish the campaigns before doing the seasonal stuff?

On another note, was reading stuff about the lore and timeline and someone has just came up with this timeline infographic (spoilered for size)

Spoiler

destiyn_timeline.thumb.jpg.794c9dff4d19b79f84a1e0c17356d517.jpg

• Upvote 2

I have nothing but respect for a videogame timeline that starts with the birth of the cosmos. Now *that's* backstory.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Gorf King said:

Try this then, unless you already read it in game.

http://www.monkeyheaven.co.uk/images/Unveiling.pdf

Yes, if you have the time. It'll make (a bit) more sense that way and be a little more satisfying.

Tomorrow's lunch time reading sorted, cheers 

Still got Warmind to finish off from first DLC which I'm prob overpowered for now. I don't get much time to play so it's great to be able to dip in and out

I reinstalled on a whim after last playing it  back when it came out on PS Plus; I had got up to a bit where you’re helping a guy in a clock tower and have visited the fallen bit of Traveller for the first time and everyone’s just living on a farm. The third or forth mission I think. When I loaded it up I got a cut scene about how a bunch of stuff I’ve not done yet is going to be undone by time travel, I was skipped up to level 20, and none of my quests exist any more. And I’m in some completely different hub.

What did I miss? Am I going to have to just manually load up all of the story missions in order to go through the base game or what?

9 hours ago, Alex W. said:

I reinstalled on a whim after last playing it  back when it came out on PS Plus; I had got up to a bit where you’re helping a guy in a clock tower and have visited the fallen bit of Traveller for the first time and everyone’s just living on a farm. The third or forth mission I think. When I loaded it up I got a cut scene about how a bunch of stuff I’ve not done yet is going to be undone by time travel, I was skipped up to level 20, and none of my quests exist any more. And I’m in some completely different hub.

What did I miss? Am I going to have to just manually load up all of the story missions in order to go through the base game or what?

go to the hanger, speak to the ship seller, pick up the red war questline, go through that.

it’s really bad at hiding content from people who’ve played a bit but not everything.

• Upvote 2

The Gambit ritual weapon the Python shotgun is an absolute monster! Overflow perk means that running over special or heavy ammo overloads it directly into the magazine, so if you couple it with some special ammo finder and scavenger mods you hardly ever run out and can just keep on shooting things in the face forever.

I used Lord of Wolves with the aforementioned special ammo mods to complete the quest and it didn't take long to grind out at all. Well worth it.

I think not allowing seasonal artifact mods on exotics is a glaring omission but apart from that I really like this new system they've come up with. Really delving into the mod combinations can lead to some thunderous builds and I'm having a lot of fun with it.

I got the basic version of the Alpine Dash sparrow earlier today - with a bit of help from YouTube and Google - but I'm not sure if I can be bothered with the upgrades. :P Some of the ingredient hunting for the masterworked oven was fun though, and

Spoiler

Riven's Thousand-Layer Cookie was an interesting diversion - I don't really do raids so it was a new area for me... and I was going in solo which made it even more dicey. :D 

The only slight weirdness was the occasional buggy drop, and I've heard lots of stories from people saying they've checked the criteria for an ingredient drop but it's never appeared. I kind of wondered if it's a priority thing - e.g. if I melee a Psion as a Striker Titan with my melee ability ready does it drop the ingredient for melee kill, arc kill, or cabal kill? - but I doubt that's the case.

(I do still like the old Dawning Cheer sparrow though - especially with the Noble Constant Red colour scheme I gave it. It's a shame I don't have the Glimmer Boost or Trick perks for it!)

I managed it on my titan by camping the shit out of the heavy ammo all game and plonking a bubble down on it when it popped. Then used Truth to get the ten kills within a few games.

I didn't enjoy a single second of it and it's completely ruined games as everyone is forced to utilise the same shitty selfish tactics in order to get to this utterly stupid quest done. Just horrible quest design that they have to roll back for the next one because there's no way I'm doing that on my hunter and warlock as well.

Just have the weekly Iron Banner bounties for the pinnacle gear and be done with it because gating token turn-ins behind a multi-step quest like this is a really fucking stupid artificial grind.

• Upvote 2

I (foolishily) did it on all 3 characters. All I got out of it was an arc helmet for my Titan, which I admittedly needed, that I couldnt get decent stats for anywhere else.

Iron Banner is proper rubbish atm as you cant actually get good games with people not playing the objectives and just going for kills with certain weapons, camping heavy, then just quitting if they get their kills done, or dont get the heavy at all in the match.

Also the amount of bugs/glitches/exploits happening on almost a daily basis is pretty laughable. Apparently theres an exploit right now with the card shuffle exotic emote that makes most of your character see through, and works in pvp. I mean, does any testing actually happen at Bungie? I dunno why I'm asking, as clearly it doesnt.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

13 hours ago, Mr Ben said:

I (foolishily) did it on all 3 characters. All I got out of it was an arc helmet for my Titan, which I admittedly needed, that I couldnt get decent stats for anywhere else.

Iron Banner is proper rubbish atm as you cant actually get good games with people not playing the objectives and just going for kills with certain weapons, camping heavy, then just quitting if they get their kills done, or dont get the heavy at all in the match.

Also the amount of bugs/glitches/exploits happening on almost a daily basis is pretty laughable. Apparently theres an exploit right now with the card shuffle exotic emote that makes most of your character see through, and works in pvp. I mean, does any testing actually happen at Bungie? I dunno why I'm asking, as clearly it doesnt.

You'll have to pony up for more Everver$e baubles if you want them to hire some testers. They're an indi studio now; they're not made of money! :hmm:

With the Obelisks, Dawning event and Iron Banner this has very much ventured into 'playing has turned into a job' territory for me. All the component parts require investments of time disproportionate to the reward for doing it so I'm struggling to see the point of any of it. I'm grinding away but I'm not sure that's going to last much longer. I've done the sundial once because what's the actual point?

It's bewildering how little thought they seem to put into the impact some of these quests and events might have. Unless they do want to ruin a week of iron banner with everyone just waiting to rush the power ammo game after game.

The dawning first seems like a fun little event with you travelling across the worlds delivering unique items. Until you then realise the quest progression is to just keep doing that exact same thing, but more. Oh 200 items delivered ok what's next. Do 300. Very imaginative.