rllmuk
Gorf King

Destiny 2 Shadowkeep: the Undying Grind

Ha. I read your comment and immediately thought of D1 vanilla, and all the great weapons from VoG that got left behind as light levels increased in the following DLC, then Bungie relenting and allowing infusion - in a particularly horrible partial way - to bring stuff back up. And then capping that off and raising power again to leave them behind again. And then finally reintroducing those same raid weapons but as exotics from the Y3 challenge raids. And then I read this:

Back to 2014: The Vault of Glass weapons could be memorable because we knew they weren’t going to be in the ecosystem for things like Trials, Nightfalls, and Raids forever. They’d naturally fall by the wayside because Power (Attack/Light in those days) would make them obsolete. [...] Legendary weapons will have fixed values for how high they can be infused. Those values will project the weapon’s viable-in-end-game lifespan and we think that lifespan is somewhere between 9 and 15 months. [...] Changes like this also mean Legendary weapons (or their talents) that would be “shelved” could be reissued at a future date. Or could be brought back in fun ways by involving our community.

All seems a very familiar story. Is there anything new under the Traveller, I wonder sometimes.

The fact they're thinking about problems with the game and not resting on their laurels and addressing things that don't work is encouraging. It's what they SHOULD be doing but in a world where developers rarely communicate their intentions it feels novel.

I'm casual as fuck when it comes to this game, and I don't really know the implications of what these changes will bring but seeing as I stalled on this season pretty hard any changes that give me a reason to come back is alright.

My main issue with all this is that is screams "We have nothing new to add." Moving away from season activities to adding stuff to existing playlists?  Some of the faction stuff to be added as drops?  Even the trials armour shown is old.  Having a shelf life on weapons to encourage engagement or whatever the term is doesn't seem to fit Destiny.  I don't think they release enough new weapons for a start.  Starting from scratch works in Path of Exile as they usually introduce some crazy shit each season, having a slightly refreshed strike isn't going to cut it.

Plus Mr Smith might as well have stuck a D3 logo at the end with the constant Destiny 2 cannot last forever spiel.  It certainly feels they have barely anyone working on D2 at this point or the game is so unwieldy to manage they can barely produce content for it.  I've only just thought the new maps for trials are also...old maps.  Play how you want seems to have gone out the window, now it is play what you want within a 9-15 month window assuming we don't nerf it due to usage stats.

But hey, at least the shooting still feels good, right?

I don't think he was implying a Destiny 3 will come along. If anything, I thought he was implying the opposite. I do agree that he seemed to be saying they're shovelling rewards into existing content rather than making new stuff like Sundial every season, and mixing up the way the existing stuff works.

17 minutes ago, Moodmon said:

My main issue with all this is that is screams "We have nothing new to add." Moving away from season activities to adding stuff to existing playlists?  Some of the faction stuff to be added as drops?  Even the trials armour shown is old.  Having a shelf life on weapons to encourage engagement or whatever the term is doesn't seem to fit Destiny.  I don't think they release enough new weapons for a start.  Starting from scratch works in Path of Exile as they usually introduce some crazy shit each season, having a slightly refreshed strike isn't going to cut it.

Also struck me as a little odd that Vex Offensive and Sundial activities would just disappear never to be used again. A new activity per season was never really going to be sustainable so I can see them being rehashed at some point, probably along with the Reckoning. 

There was an article on Forbes about a possible update to Escalation Protocol activity on Mars next season too, prompted by the in game cut-scene of the Osiris/Warmind discussion.

Fuck all that content anyway. The real big news is that the next Twitch Prime drop has landed: the Destiny 2 Poultry Petting Exotic Bundle Drop.

Massive if true.

Surely the artifact being enabled is just to force free to play people to buy the season pass if they want to play trials? That way they can technically keep their promise that all PvP stuff will be free to play but still lock people who don’t pay out of trials. 

I really wish they would combine all the D1 and D2 content into one game.. called Destiny, and just add more stuff to it as they go along. 

• Upvote 1

Don't think I'll bother with the next Season Pass. I've barely done anything with the current one due to lack of time to grind. Think I've only hit lvl 30 and I'll be struggling to get through any of the Osiris stuff before it ends. I've only just unlocked the Obelisk in the tower!

19 hours ago, Siri said:

At the very least, in regards to the idea of 'power level matters', they haven't come up with the idea of capping the light level of most guns, meaning that within 9-12 months you won't be able to use pinnacle weapons you've spent hours to get because of planned obsolesc-

https://www.bungie.net/en/Explore/Detail/News/48758

...oh for fuck's sake, Luke

and with that, i'm finally out. I spent ages getting Recluse, then it got nerfed. Izanagi's - Nerfed. Now the other pinacle stuff i spent ages getting will be unusable in end game stuff? Nah, no thanks.

• Upvote 1

On 26/02/2020 at 09:06, Nate Dogg III said:

Have they confirmed whether 'power level matters' includes artifact levels? If so then oh well never mind.

Welcome back.

The TWAB contains some fairly significant changes too, clearly fuelled primarily by Trials' return. Vaguely-stated nerfs to some of the most popular subclass trees, including my comfortable-as-old-slippers bottom tree Poledancer (sad face). A nerf to casual use of handheld supernova, and a damage resistance and duration buff to Nova Warp to make up for it. And something about Titans.

Some of the stuff in there makes this feel even more of a walkback to D1 alongside the reintroduction of Trials. Warlocks now get a melee range 1 meter greater than other classes. That brings back some Trials vibes for sure, as does the news that trip mines are sticky again and the Unicorn returns from extinction. (Cept it's not a OHK, of course.)

I guess it's good to mix all this up a bit for Season of the Salty, but it's fairly clear that there's not going to be much 'new' in the game this season for PvE players, aside from getting that pinnacle raid/NF loot to fuel the Trials experience, and maybe Rasputin's going to bung us a new sword or summat. Kinda like Season of the Drifter, but focused on a game mode a fair few people actually want to play a lot, I can see a lot of PvE sorts largely sitting it out. And it makes me think the structure of the rest of the Destiny year might be similar, so maybe there'll be a new raid in the summer season.

AVAILABLE TO ALL DESTINY 2 PLAYERS

• Defend the Last City from the Red Legion by powering up Rasputin
  • New Seraph Tower public events and bunker activities
  • Trials of Osiris returns every weekend (minimum Power level 960)
  • Seasonal Artifact: Upgrade the Warmind Khanjali to earn Seasonal gear mods
  • Rank up to unlock the Seasonal armor set: Seventh Seraph
  • Rank up to unlock the Exotic Auto Rifle, Tommy's Matchbook

SEASON PASS OWNERS

• Weekly Rasputin Challenges
  • Legendary Lost Sectors
  • New Exotic questline
  • Instantly unlock the Seventh Seraph armor sets for each class
  • Instantly unlock the Exotic Auto Rifle, Tommy's Matchbook
  • New triumphs, bounties, and Seasonal lore books
  • Exotic emote, Ghost, ornament, and finisher
  • All XP gains are increased throughout the Season
  • Additional Season Pass rewards to unlock
  • All free Destiny 2 content also included

Looking forward to it! Been enjoying a lot of D2 recently.

I got my Riskrunner catalyst today and paired it with Verity's Brow... :wub: it just never ends.

I also found out today that Nightfalls are matchmade - I'm sure they weren't before and the hover text for the option in the Director doesn't mention it is? Will play more of them now I know that. Did they change that or was I just wrong?

The bottom (by difficulty) two tiers of Ordeal Nightfalls are matchmade; the top two aren't. Dunno how that'll change when they add the extra tier.

The old style NFs on the right hand side of the director still aren't matchmade.

• Upvote 1

This just came up on my YT feed - some footage of various iterations of the Destiny UI, weapons and locations way before the game was released. Some of it's quite interesting if you are or have ever been quite heavily into Destiny/Bungie.

• Upvote 3

TWAB outlines previously-unmentioned aspects of next week's update: some changes to exotic armour and to the power cap, mid-season plans to improve some activities' power rewards, a hiccup with the first Trials, and some other stuff.

Some highlights:

• Powerful rewards will go to 1000
  • Pinnacle rewards will go to 1010
  • From mid-season, weekly Crucible, Strike, and Gambit challenges, and the weekly clan engram, will reward pinnacles 
  • At some point in the future they hope to fix the issue of getting several identical slot drops in a row
  • Artefact bonus power will still be disabled for Trials until they solve the problem of capping it to a modest amount, but this can't happen in time for the first weekend; so that weekend will see artefact power enabled in Trials
  • A fair few exotic armour changes, but of main interest to any truly sentient being is that they've pissed on a couple of pairs of Hunter boots, and you should never piss on a Hunter's boots, at least not when they've just polished them, and certainly not on two pairs as that suggests you've not just pissed on the ones they're wearing but have somehow broken into the Hunter's wardrobe while he was out Hunting, and even the Cabal wouldn't do that gee thanks Bungo
  • New finishers for cash, of which the Hunter's continues the Hunter trend of being better than the others, but still not as good as the last Hunter one, which let's face it was so fucking great it probably makes up for having your boots pissed on
  • Some other shit no-one cares about such as performance improvements

Maintenance begins 3pm on Tuesday, patch begins to roll out at 4pm, logins to the new season will start to be possible after 5pm, maintenance concludes at 7pm. At 7.01pm Telesto crowns itself King of Swinging Dicks and injects code which deletes all other weapons from players' inventories, followed soon after by every other game asset, these being replaced by assets from D1. Rasputin declares YUGA SUNDOWN at 7.07.07pm but is prevented from executing any further commands when Telesto pisses on his bootstrap while doing the new Hunter emote. By 10pm, the game has been completely deleted and D1 has replaced it in its entirety. 

Best update ever.

Gorf seems a little...focused...on being pissed on.

After a year off Destiny 2 since the start of Black Armory, I've had a ton of fun catching up with what I missed in addition to the new Shadowkeep stuff and have played more of it than ever, but now I'm free and clear of seasonal FOMO after an Iceborne-sized break (I was almost all the way to getting the Savior title, but now? Couldn't care less. Next season's pass? Can't be bothered doing mostly the same stuff over again for it) and am ready to uninstall it again and come back fresh in 6-12 months.

It sucks that there'll be comparatively less new stuff to come back to due to way seasons work now, though.

Trials tip and tricks, which may or may not be relevant (but probably quite relevant if they've binned off D2 Trials):

Is there any sort of known issue with Radiolarian Culture not dropping?  I'm trying to complete the Lost Prophecies and just in the last week or so I've had no Radiolarian Culture drop at all from public events or chests. I'm four Osiris guns and a nightfall away from Wayfarer so this is doing my nut!

18 minutes ago, PK said:

Is there any sort of known issue with Radiolarian Culture not dropping?  I'm trying to complete the Lost Prophecies and just in the last week or so I've had no Radiolarian Culture drop at all from public events or chests. I'm four Osiris guns and a nightfall away from Wayfarer so this is doing my nut!

Is that the blue or green one? I found one of them dropped much more from Strikes.

The green one. I'm not a massive fan of running Strikes so was hoping to get them from flying around the open world listening to podcasts.  Which was working until recently :(

Oh, I'm a moron. I thought I had a Lost Prophecy in my inventory, but I didn't. :facepalm:

• Upvote 1

I don't know why they film new dev quotes. They say the same things every season.