Destiny 2: Vex Obstruction Hour/Week/Season/Infinitely Recursive Time Loop

Hmm, feeling a bit beleaguered with this.  Can’t remember the last time I played, might have been a couple of years.  Loaded up the game and it pulled up my two old characters and popped a shitload of trophies.  I got dropped onto an ice planet where I got one-shotted by a group of flying drone type enemies.  Then I turned it off.  It all looked very nice though.  

What’s the best way to get back into the game after a long hiatus? I’m not precious about keeping my old characters.  Is there a fresh start option?

11 minutes ago, sammy said:

Hmm, feeling a bit beleaguered with this.  Can’t remember the last time I played, might have been a couple of years.  Loaded up the game and it pulled up my two old characters and popped a shitload of trophies.  I got dropped onto an ice planet where I got one-shotted by a group of flying drone type enemies.  Then I turned it off.  It all looked very nice though.  

What’s the best way to get back into the game after a long hiatus? I’m not precious about keeping my old characters.  Is there a fresh start option?

I pretty much had exactly the same experience. I played coop with my brother which made things easier (but still fairly frustrating) and we eventually decided to hop into crucible. Dunno if that's your thing but we levelled up super quickly whilst just casually playing, having a laugh (and getting destroyed)...and then went back to the story which was a lot more tolerable at the recommended light levels.

It is very smooth and still amazing to play but, having not played it for a couple of years (possibly longer) and time being so precious now, the traversal between objectives drives me absolutely insane. Just a few more fast travel points on Europa would mean I'm not going from A to B on a sparrow every few minutes for pointless fetch quests (maybe more fast travel points unlock later?...if not I'm going to give up on the story pretty soon).

16 minutes ago, sammy said:

They've removed the old main campaign and the first two expansions, but there's a brand new introductory portion set in the Cosmodrome from D1 they've added for new players/characters if you want to start fresh.

Tried this last night. Started on the ice planet too. Although I must have had a reasonable character and made it through. 

can’t remember anything around the game though. Hard to navigate for a returning player. 

got some “legacy mission” stuff. But no idea how to access it. 

3 minutes ago, Droo said:

Tried this last night. Started on the ice planet too. Although I must have had a reasonable character and made it through. 

can’t remember anything around the game though. Hard to navigate for a returning player. 

got some “legacy mission” stuff. But no idea how to access it. 

There's a little terminal to the left the Postmaster in the Tower. 

8 minutes ago, Mafro said:

They've removed the old main campaign and the first two expansions, but there's a brand new introductory portion set in the Cosmodrome from D1 they've added for new players/characters if you want to start fresh.

Awesome, thanks, sounds ideal.  Shame Bungie didn’t highlight that clearly.

Yeah I don't think immediately dropping people into Europa wasn't a good idea. I quit out of that straight away and went and did Shadowkeep. It wasn't as bad as I was expecting and the little "greatest hits of Destiny 1 & 2" nightmare fights were fun while they lasted. Done the first few Beyond Light missions and it seems okay so far, always good to have Variks back and the intro of the Drifter, Stranger and Eris was badass. Europa as a location looks lovely, I've only visited 3 areas but it seems reasonably big going by the map.

I managed to sort out that season pass not showing up bug by downloading the PS4 version of D2 and redeeming a season pass item, which triggered it  as showing as purchased on PS5. 

1 hour ago, sammy said:

Me too, so I quit (had to actually stop the game and then reload, as I couldn't find a way to get back to the character select screen) and started a new character.

I'm pretty new to this as well, after playing a lot of D1.

Couple of points I've been mulling on:

• The 30->60 change is barely noticeable to me. I wish there was a toggle so I can double check I'm not going mad.
  • Bungie's artistic vision and design is amazing. There are some truly stunning locations and moments
  • I love Gambit. I know seasoned D2 players might be sick of it, but it feels fresh to me. I like the mix of PvE and PvP. I'd love to see more Gambit modes, like a competitive strike or something
  • I did a strike yesterday called The Corrupted for the first time - I was really taken aback and impressed by the locations and slightly nightmarish horror other worldliness. I really like the mythos and strangeness that underpins the game as you play more
  • The Bow is way better than I was expecting, I think I prefer it to the sniper rifle
  • The swords are overpowered but great fun
  • I think I hate stasis, not just in PvP but the main game also
  • The sound design and music is fantastic as well
  • Is there a game with better feeling guns? Not sure there is
  • Still have no idea about optimal upgrading, or what are the right decisions when it comes to gear, mods and so just winging it to maximise light and and balanced stats.I'm sure in future I'll have a Crucible and a PvE load-out, but not bothering right now

For new people I don't think using old characters or setting up a fresh one will make any difference. Everyone starts at 1050 now, though I'm not sure how that works in terms of gear on the first mission, because I started with whatever my Guardians were carrying before which might have made it easier. The Europa stuff is quite hard and not a great starting point, you're much better off scraping through the first mission then heading for the tower to do the Cosmodrome quest if you're loading up an old save. I'm guessing if you start a brand new character it probably drops you straight into that?

I started a new character and started in the Cosmodrome. I was familiar with it from D1 so it was pretty straightforward, if not slightly different, for example, one area (where the giant crab public event happens) is waaaaay more busy now with enemies.

24 minutes ago, Eighthours said:

Me too, so I quit (had to actually stop the game and then reload, as I couldn't find a way to get back to the character select screen) and started a new character.

Inventory>right to settings>down to gameplay>change character I think. It's says one thing on Xbox and a different thing on PlayStation but they're in the same place

16 minutes ago, hub2 said:

• The 30->60 change is barely noticeable to me. I wish there was a toggle so I can double check I'm not going mad.
  • Bungie's artistic vision and design is amazing. There are some truly stunning locations and moments
  • I love Gambit. I know seasoned D2 players might be sick of it, but it feels fresh to me. I like the mix of PvE and PvP. I'd love to see more Gambit modes, like a competitive strike or something
  • I did a strike yesterday called The Corrupted for the first time - I was really taken aback and impressed by the locations and slightly nightmarish horror other worldliness. I really like the mythos and strangeness that underpins the game as you play more
  • The Bow is way better than I was expecting, I think I prefer it to the sniper rifle
  • The swords are overpowered but great fun
  • I think I hate stasis, not just in PvP but the main game also
  • The sound design and music is fantastic as well
  • Is there a game with better feeling guns? Not sure there is
  • Still have no idea about optimal upgrading, or what are the right decisions when it comes to gear, mods and so just winging it to maximise light and and balanced stats.I'm sure in future I'll have a Crucible and a PvE load-out, but not bothering right now

The 30 60 difference is night and day to me, so it's interesting that you think there's no difference.  Some other people have said the same thing, so there has to be something to it.

Stasis takes some getting used to but you wouldn't take it over any other super unless the activity dictated it. And yes, bows are fucking incredible. Le Monarque is an absolute beast in Gambit.

15 minutes ago, Broker said:

For new people I don't think using old characters or setting up a fresh one will make any difference. Everyone starts at 1050 now, though I'm not sure how that works in terms of gear on the first mission, because I started with whatever my Guardians were carrying before which might have made it easier. The Europa stuff is quite hard and not a great starting point, you're much better off scraping through the first mission then heading for the tower to do the Cosmodrome quest if you're loading up an old save. I'm guessing if you start a brand new character it probably drops you straight into that?

My old character (either a few hours into D1 or a few hours into D2) was dumped straight onto Europa at his old power level, meaning that I could be one-shotted by the first group of enemies and they were immune to my shots. Not exactly a great beginning, hence me then starting a new character. Bungie should probably have thought about this.

Yeah, I'm sure I went straight into the Beyond Light campaign at 1050 or so and while it was tough, it was doable. I heard there were a few level jumps midway through, though I think I surmounted them unintentionally by doing some side activities and by playing with friends. 

Did you do any missions or Europa or wander around in free roam? If so you might have encounter enemies, public events and secrets that were higher than the base level. But I thought Bungie did set the two opening campaigns - Cosmodrome and Europa - to start at 1050. I presume the Forsaken and Shadowkeep ones start at that level too seeing as it's effectively 0 now. 

1 hour ago, hub2 said:

If you go to Google you can toggle between Vision Express and Specsavers.

;)

Seriously, coupled with the FOV slider (take it up to between 90-100) it's utterly transformative to me for a game that is based around character mobility and fast action. Even the speedier way the cursor moves around the menus removes tiny levels of frustration that make it so much more fun to play. The speed of your sparrow, the snappy gear menus, the moving between planets, all of it adds up to a very impressive upgrade for a 3 year old game.

I know the PC crew are probably lolling into their RGB peripherals but for a console experience, it's finally where the game has always needed to be.

Do they still have that annoying soft cap for levelling? I remember last time I played you reached the point where you had to do weekly reset stuff to actually level up higher and if you didn't get the right drop in the right slot to increase your overall light level you were basically screwed.

28 minutes ago, Mafro said:

Do they still have that annoying soft cap for levelling? I remember last time I played you reached the point where you had to do weekly reset stuff to actually level up higher and if you didn't get the right drop in the right slot to increase your overall light level you were basically screwed.

Yeah that’s the grind. 1200 is the soft cap, you can do anything to get to there. 1250 is the next one, you need powerful gear to get to there but it’s much more plentiful than it used to be so whilst you slow down it’s pretty easy to keep making progress (I’m around 1240 and have not had any frustrating incidents where I’m getting useless shite or can’t progress).

1260 is pinnacle cap, getting from 1250 to 1260 is limited to a very small number of weekly pinnacle engrams, will be subject to annoying problems getting things for the wrong slot and is only really achievable if you’ve got a regular team of friends for raiding, high level nightfalls, dungeons etc. 

As I only have an hour or two a day to play games and it’s always really early or really late, I can’t really do any of the team stuff. I find it helps to just think of 1250 as the end and not worry about the last ten points as I won’t be getting them.

There's really only a couple of things that require high power levels like the master nightfalls and empire hunts but they only reward higher level gear anyway so its all a bit pointless.

The whole power level grind is something that needs some serious rethinking from Bungie. It should essentially be ditched with only a modest bump each year that can be achieved through completing the campaign. Seasons should be about gear and loot and what it does to create interesting builds not a silly arbitrary number. You can still create builds of course but for most causal players, you're spending the first few weeks of each season chasing this number and it's easy to get bored and burnt out by the time you reach it.

The best content they've produced over the last year or so is that which allows you deterministically choose your rewards and their perks, whether it was menagerie, umbral engrams or the new solo lost sectors which are fucking great for grinding good exotics. They are short and fun little missions which encourage you to mix up your loadout as they can have some tough enemies in them and then you have a chance at a drop. The gear piece rotates each day so you can go in and get some arms or legs or whatever. 

Yeah I ended up doing a solo lost sector in the Cosmodrome last night with my newly created Warlock. It was good fun, challenging but not too hard. Got a legendary scout rifle (Night Watch) for my troubles too!

I decided against transferring my old D1 guardian across, and went with a Warlock as I've only ever played Hunter. I never realised the jump was so different for Warlock! That's going to take some getting used to.

As someone said earlier, you really can't beat the feel of the guns in this game. There is something so immensely satisfying about headshotting, I can't think of a game that does it better.

Looking forward to exploring Europa now and seeing some new areas, and hopefully joining up with some of you for some strikes / raids etc. @Muz I recognised your name earlier, I seem to remember us doing the Vault of Glass back when it first came out?

I remember getting Vision of Confluence from that, and then a few months (and many kills) later I accidently dismantled it (not long before they introduced the lock feature) and I was so distraught I never really played much after that! :lol:

Anyone up for some co-op stuff on Xbox, feel free to add me: Rockboy

41 minutes ago, Mafro said:

Solo lost sectors?

Yeah in fact, I was just grinding the lost sector for the exotic helmet the last day or so. Was great, tweaking mods and loadouts until I could get it down. Trouble is for new players, how long would it take to acquire all the mods you ideally want to be able to pick from to take on content like that. 

The champion mechanics and mods can be confusing at first and there are certain exotics that have the synergistic mod type built-in and it's not really obvious unless you inspect each one. 

Xenophage is the way to go for most of them though. Thing destroys everything. 

I do tend to stack ammo mods though mostly, more chance of finding it, more amounts when you pick it up and more capacity on your weapons. Sorted. 

• Gorf King changed the title to Destiny 2: Vex Obstruction Hour/Week/Season/Infinitely Recursive Time Loop