Destiny 2: Vex Obstruction Hour/Week/Season/Infinitely Recursive Time Loop

Just now, Broker said:

Nice, how’s the new season? Where am I on the scale of how long it’s got left? 

You've got 19 days so if you cane the living shit out of it you miiiiiight make it.

I've really enjoyed it. The battlegrounds are a nice new addition, the seasonal weapon is all kinds of hilarious, the seasonal cosmetics are garbage but tbh it's worth it for the exotic Presage quest, which is one of the greatest pieces or content Bungie has done for Destiny ever.

This has been the best season for ages IMHO.

Battlegrounds are a lot more fun than Hunts, the new Strike is great and Presage is one of the best things they’ve done.

I forgot about Ticcu's - finally got the Catalyst completed a couple of weeks ago and it's a great weapon. Still don't have the Catalyst for Dead Man's Tale. Must do the Master Presage at some point. My mate and I can fly through the standard level really quickly now but need a third to do Master I suspect.

I had a quick go on the Guardian Games at lunchtime, and managed to get the Heir Apparent quest within 45 minutes. I haven't done it yet - you need to get 100 combatant kills with a machine gun in the focused playlist, and given that it's Crucible today, that would have taken a while.

This season feels like one of the previous Destiny golden ages, like post-Taken King D1. All the planets seem to have aligned in terms of there being lots of stuff to do, lots of fun gear to try out, and little-to-no grind. Stasis in the Crucible feels like the only real poo in the ointment, and even that I haven't found too annoying, to be honest.

I should really learn to fucking read. First strike I didn't collect the quest, second one I didn't equip the new class item.

The new weapon sounds right up my actium war rig street.

Agree with all that, I'm still playing, on and off, with only a couple of weeks left of the season. For me, it's the Grandmaster Nightfalls that have kept me engaged. I know it's not everyone's cup of tea and I had previously written them as unfun overly hard content.

Getting together with a regular group though and working out strats and team builds has been seriously good fun and really opened my eyes to some of the nuances of Destiny's gear and mod system that gets a bit dismissed as most of the content is a breeze in comparison. The GM Proving Grounds started out as seemingly impossible but we nailed it after about 4 or 5 tries and was the best feeling of accomplishment since Skolas in D1.

Are they developing the feature under protest or something? It's possibly the most begrudging, convoluted cosmetics system I've seen in a a game.

Most of the busywork is whatever as you'll make progress by playing the game normally, but limiting the number of cosmetic items you can unlock each season – unless you want to pay real money – is pretty brazen.

Man, it's simple.

Synthstrand is to synthcord what synthcord is to synthweave - duh. Get x kills = 1 synthstrand, 150 synthstrand = 1 synthcord, use the loom to convert 1 synthcord 1 into 1 synthweave, use 1 synthweave to make 1 Universal Armour Ornament, max 10 synthweave per season per class so 3 * 10 = 30, except for season of the [REDACTED] where you get an extra 10 per class = 30 per player, so (30*2) 60 in total, so the maximum amount of armour ornaments it's possible to create per season is...

Look, it's simple, right?

Thing is you know this is going to be a big feature of the next season when really it should just be a massive apology for the clusterfuck of a system shaders has been for the last 3 years. 

They should be giving ME glimmer for all the time I spent dismantling the cunting things since D2 launched. 

New Guardian Games shaders are pretty sweet though. 

Saw this coming a mile off when they first announced they were introducing a transmog system but even I didn't think they'd fuck it up in quite such an egregiously greedy fashion as this.

You can feel them gritting their teeth and the begrudging reluctance of the whole thing in the way they're whacking up the cost of shaders from 40 to 300 bright dust into the bargain as well.

Max gear power is 1310 currently but you can only get gear above your current average from Pinnacle drops once you reach 1300 (ignoring artefact).

So the only way to get the last 10 power levels is from Pinnacle drops which are either +1 or +2 your current gear level (although powerful gear will still

drop at your current gear average so you can use that to push up any slots that are below your average).

1 hour ago, MardiganX said:

'Pinnacle Gear'

Is that just gear that is 1 point higher than your base average power? Like without the artifact boost.

If only it were that simple!

Unfortunately it goes by each item, meaning you'll inevitably end up with something lower than the rest as it refuses to drop:

Screenshot_20210423-121451.thumb.png.794f79222fbc9675830eb84dafc1df02.png

13 hours ago, pinholestar said:

Saw this coming a mile off when they first announced they were introducing a transmog system but even I didn't think they'd fuck it up in quite such an egregiously greedy fashion as this.

You can feel them gritting their teeth and the begrudging reluctance of the whole thing in the way they're whacking up the cost of shaders from 40 to 300 bright dust into the bargain as well.

It's such a stupid, overly complicated decision I'm convinced it has to be something to do with limitations of their dumb game engine. surely they have enough self-awareness to see how daft it is?

Transmog doesn't seem that bad to me. You have to shoot enemies (which you're doing already by dint of playing the game) to get bounties (which I expect everyone is also doing), and then once you've done enough of them, you can transmog a piece of armour. Doesn't sound that complex; it sounds quite boring if you're focused on just doing that, but it feels like something that would happen in the background while you're playing the game. You can create up to two armour sets per season, which doesn't sound like a huge amount, but at the same time I can't really imagine myself doing more than that.

They're also jacking up the cost of shaders, but anyone who's played the game for more than a few weeks must have hundreds of them already. I can't see myself buying many more of them either. And it seems reasonable that a permanent unlock would cost more fake in-game space money than a single-use item.

I have to say I stopped bothering with Shaders from the beginning of D2 because they made them so tedious and fiddly (as compared to D1 where they were an item that you just used and changed your colour) so anything is an improvement on the current system (and boy am I glad I don’t have to recycle 5 billion more of the damned things because the inventory is so small).

So pootering on after starting SoC for an hour and stopping.

Lots to do and confusing, but Battlegounds (especially the later ones) are nice intensive fights and I like the bow.

May have bought the Ornaments for dust after seeing they change colour with shaders. SO PRETTY

14 hours ago, dreamylittledream said:

I have to say I stopped bothering with Shaders from the beginning of D2 because they made them so tedious and fiddly (as compared to D1 where they were an item that you just used and changed your colour) so anything is an improvement on the current system (and boy am I glad I don’t have to recycle 5 billion more of the damned things because the inventory is so small).

I kind of like the weapon shaders (to the extent where I might spend 2 mins finding one I like for a weapon I love) but I have no interest in armour shaders when I spend 98% of my time in first person. So I can safely ignore all this stuff. 

• Gorf King changed the title to Destiny 2: Vex Obstruction Hour/Week/Season/Infinitely Recursive Time Loop