Destiny: Beyond DeeJ

On 16/08/2020 at 09:33, Qazimod said:

I'm as far as the "Magnificent" solstice set for my Titan now. \o/ You can make pretty good progress if you try and cover multiple objectives at once, and there are a few kill-farming spots for the kill-farming objectives. Not sure if I'll bother to glow up though... :P Also I recently got the Hard Light catalyst - that weapon has been pretty useful in equipment-locked situations, so the added benefit of orbs is welcome.

Is there some mechanic I’m missing?

I seem to get loads of progress for things 

eg 2 Adventures counted as 5

5 packages cleared the 10 objective 

Solar guns/Arc Super kills in Cruicible is rocketing up quicker than I’m getting kills 

But yeah the 15 load up time kills the ‘have a quick go’idea when wfh

Having jumped back on this after finishing Last of Us 2 and wanting something a little less... intense... I'm finding myself pretty addicted. I'm at about 1045 light and really enjoying the variety that's on offer, admittedly coupled as it is with playing the same content over and over forever and ever. I'm stopping myself doing the weekly strike challenges because it's literally content I've played a hundred times, but the Nightfalls offer something different and my time away from the game has meant there are layers and layers of bits that are slowly revealing themselves to me the longer I play. 

Me and two mates did the Whisper of the Worm quest last week and it was the most fun I've had in a game for a while. I mean we were all swearing at it and hating the stupid janky jump puzzles but it felt really different from the rest of the game and we eventually finished it with 3 seconds to spare... tight. Is the heroic version much harder now that everything's levelled off at 750 light? It feels like with Whisper in the heavy slot I'll be able to get through it fairly easily? 

I started playing this at the weekend on PC and it's actually quite good, isn't it? Well, apart from anything that involves platforming, which is awful (why oh why do they do it?)

I haven't got a clue about anything though because, like most MMOs to be fair, it is absolutely terrible at explaining anything. I'm only really playing it for the story missions anyway (for which I did find a guide for a sensible order to do things), so as I likely won't hang around for the endgame stuff I probably don't need to know all that much. But still.

I agree with @Broker though, I wish they'd make another story driven FPS.

Yeah, I've already done that and am working through a sensible order of all the quests, following a guide I found - so I'm fine in that respect.

I meant more all the various systems, currencies, triumphs etc. What am I meant to do with Umbral Engrams, for example? It isn't explained very well in game and I shouldn't have to look at other guides whilst I'm playing. Still, it's no different to most MMOs, as I say, but it doesn't make it particularly welcoming for newcomers.

Am I right in thinking that prior to moving F2P you had to complete all the story stuff to get access to the Tower?

Yeah if you want to decode Umbrals you need to get a quest from the drifter, go and stand near a contact public event after shooting one baddie (because you’re too low level to damage anything) then you can decode them at the machine next to the drifter. Unless you’re already full up if engrams in which case the quest will bug out and you’ll have to do it with another character. 

Simple...

On 17/08/2020 at 20:38, Hexx said:

First character - unless previous years count?

Nah, it cant be that. I'm on my first character too, and haven't played the event in previous years, as Solstice normally coincides with my mid-year break before coming back for the autumn expansion. I got increased progress on the blue armour too, though the purple set seems to be progressing at regular speed. 

To be honest, the grind hasn't been too bad, given I read a lot of scare stories about it. I think the problem is that Solstice always come in the months where there's generally malaise about the game and a bit of a lull. I split my play between the "core" modes a decent amount anyway (I don't have the aversion to Gambit or Crucible many possess) so I've found progress to be fairly natural and done in a few sessions. 

I might even go get a second or third set on my other characters, if progress is accelerated for those. Won't buy the glow for Bright Dust on anything but my main though. I wish the final goal for an event wasn't tied to Eververse, even if dust is available for free in the game. 

I don't think it's anything to do with player numbers (despite their suggestions that it will improve matchmaking) more that they want to vault as much as they can while leaving enough in those modes for them to still be viable. Some of my favourite Crucible maps are going though, which is a shame.

I can understand the reasoning behind it though. The game has become absolutely huge both in file size and content and there's been a marked increase in bugs and poor performance the last year, so I can see why they'd want to make it less of an unwieldy behemoth. Not ideal but if Beyond Light is a banger then it will probably soon be forgotten.

They could be holding back specific details but according to the TWAB, there is one new strike and one reskin......and that's it. No new crucible or Gambit maps? Hopefully they're holding stuff back but seems weird they would mention the new strike but not bother with the other game modes.

The mention of more D1 reskins and raids coming is also worrying. I get that a lot of D2 players are new and never played D1 but for those of us that did, well we get to do it all over again..... again :rolleyes:

Yeah I can see the nostalgia hit of returning to the Cosmodrome wearing off very quickly indeed. Ditto the Vault of Glass, even if they have added some Champions in it to spice it up.

I've reined in my expectations for what this game will be since they left Activision. They don't seem to have the resources (or if one were being cynical and looking to the profits they're making from Eververse these days, perhaps the desire) anymore to make another Forsaken, so I think expansions on the scale of Shadowkeep and variations on the seasonal grinds that we've seen in year 3 are likely to be the norm going forward. Bringing back Destiny 1 content is a very easy way to fill out their content schedule but it's a bit of a damp squib for those of us who spent hundreds of hours playing in those destinations years ago.   

I feel like it’s just salt in the wound after the took all that stuff away for no reason when D2 launched. Now it can all work in the new engine! But only if we give them money for the same shit again. 

The fucked up with the early seasons post Activision. They set expectations they couldn't possibly maintain. I don't think there's a company out there that could. Maybe Epic and Fortinite but that is literally the biggest game on the planet at the moment.

It's a shame and I think people seeing this as a decline of quality from Bungie is a bit sad, but what can you do? I hope they find a new rhythm, it'd be a shame for this game to shut down because people are ditching it if aren't getting the updated content they expect.

They had at least two support studios doing a lot of work back when they were with Activision, which is why all the wow just imagine what they'll put out free from the shackles of a publisher responses around the web were so dumb at the time.

I think even if you’re expecting less content the stuff they choose to put out is shit. They’ve got plenty of artists for eververse shite, but each season the new activity is painfully simple and boring compared to older stuff. It’s a shadow of D1 in so many ways. 

Fair, plus I also see that big studios are in a tight position when they’re competing with free games. I guess this is the flip side of no pay to win, now all the stuff that actually makes them money has to be pretty but functionally useless and it starts to feel like there’s never actually any new content. 

1 hour ago, BitterToad said:

A lot they're getting rid of, there. Are player numbers really that low that they're having to shelve half of Crucible/Gambit?

On the contrary, they had the highest concurrent players online ever for Destiny this year.

54 minutes ago, Broker said:

I think even if you’re expecting less content the stuff they choose to put out is shit. They’ve got plenty of artists for eververse shite, but each season the new activity is painfully simple and boring compared to older stuff. It’s a shadow of D1 in so many ways. 

They're changing the model for next year to be similar to the Forsaken one, which I would expect means more fireteam-sized matchmade activities rather than the ones based in the public spaces relying on many guardians to complete. 

• Gorf King changed the title to Destiny: Beyond DeeJ