rllmuk
Gorf King

Destiny: Content Vault of Gaas

5 minutes ago, Hexx said:

Nah it's just "there" when you look to equip mods. They're not consumables like before, they're unlocks.

If you try to equip a class armor mod the one that dropped will be there (it might be for a different element if you can't see it on the class armor you're looking at)

There doesn't seem to be a central list of every mod you've unlocked in game I can see.

No, and it's faintly annoying. There is this though:

Nee2oqH.jpg

Still doesn't tell the whole story. For example, class items seem to take different ability cooldown mods (purple cloaks for life, yo).

2 hours ago, Hexx said:

Nah it's just "there" when you look to equip mods. They're not consumables like before, they're unlocks.

If you try to equip a class armor mod the one that dropped will be there (it might be for a different element if you can't see it on the class armor you're looking at)

There doesn't seem to be a central list of every mod you've unlocked in game I can see.

Iron Banner packages gives a good rate or Enhanced Mods though.

Up to 961 now so only pinnacle gears up - gonna have to start to pick proper items/gear....IB seems to be high stat?

DIM and destinysets.com will show you what you have and what you have left to get. Why that isn't in the game I have no idea but honestly I would probably just use either of these anyway. DIM has a pretty good loadout optimiser too. 

Just started messing around with the armour mod system and whilst the elemental affinity is a layer of rng that just isn't necessary I am having a lot more fun with builds than I ever have before. 

Just specced myself out with max discipline mods, the void grenade damage mod from the artifact and the raid auto rifle with demolitionist and its raining void fusion grenades doing 25% extra weapon damage every time an enemy walks into it. Add in the enhanced nightmare armour mods and its making light work of the 950 nightmare hunt bosses. 

Really loving this expansion. 

• Upvote 1

Finally hit 950 on everything in a full set of stuff I actually use.

tiger_release_final_20191018_135952.thumb.png.45e8c772acb6cc1cdd4bc99505a53555.png

Sweet Business is a very silly gun and I love it, especially on Iron Banner/Control for shutting down ways into the objective you're capturing, or spinning it up and marching in like the Terminator when people are capturing. The Recluse is an absolute monster for rushing in once you have a first kill with something else, really reminds me of my trusty P90 in CoD4. I had what must be my best ever Iron Banner match with this set after taking the screenshot:

tiger_release_final_20191018_141741.thumb.png.d0300938f0c1753261dffcf7f70892e8.png

Really enjoying returning to Destiny with this expansion. I overdid my first go at it and noped out after paying for the Forsaken Annual Pass when I couldn't face doing the same stuff over and over again for weeks just to be able to level up to play the new stuff I'd paid for, but I'm just enjoying playing it now, mucking about with the new armour, putting sets together and trying out some of the harder content.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Nate Dogg III said:

No way they’ll nerf it before the end of the season surely. Not with all these SMG Artifact perks. 

See, I was sure they would, but then this week's TWAB hit, and the main focus is... Striker Titans. And considering people have been complaining about those for what seems like forever at this point, yeah, I'm inclined to agree that it might take a while for Recluse to get hit.

Main points of note:

- One-Two punch shotguns/Tempest Strike power combo is a bug, said bug is being squished.

- Bottom-tree striker Titan supers getting hit with the patented Bungie nerf hammer(tm). It's a three-way smack - less time will be regained during the Super for Super kills, increased Super cost for performing light attacks, and you'll no longer regen health on Super kills. Dawnblade Warlocks also getting tuned down too, but nowhere near as much.

- One-Eyed Mask will be getting attention from aforementioned hammer in a future update.

- Bunch of Steam invite functionality stuff added.

- Some more mods and mod flexibility being added next Season for Armor 2.0, including the ability to stack the same mod (like Hand Cannon Loader) for a multiplier effect. Which is nice.

https://www.bungie.net/en/News/Article/48319

And more pertinently to the conversation above about not being to see what mods you've unlocked:

One last bit of news on Armor 2.0. When we created the system, we wanted to include armor mods in Collections, so you can see how many you have gathered, and where they can be acquired. This also presented a good opportunity to do some housekeeping on the Collections tab in general, but, unfortunately, proved to be a little more time-intensive than we’d hoped, so the changes didn’t come alongside Shadowkeep. Good news, though! In the 2.6.1 patch, coming later this month, armor mods will be visible in your Collections, allowing you to browse through all the possibilities and see which ones you have already collected. Additionally, starting next season, the armor mod Collections will get a UI upgrade, allowing them to display armor energy type and cost on the icon, just like they do in your armor socket.

Wow, you barely need to level your other characters. Transfer your best weapons, buy levelling gear from your collection for the lowest light piece of gear until that flattens out, then claim individual armour pieces from the season pass levels you've already unlocked one by one, lowest light first, then finally get the full set from the first item in the season pass. The Eriana's Vow I got in the last step was 947 light :o

You should talk to the Cryptarch last though, as he gives you a Prime Engram for reaching 900 - I talked to him before claiming armour from the season pass :quote:

10 minutes after logging into one of my other 750 light characters for the first time:

tiger_release_final_20191018_223519.thumb.png.058d18a115708bd6bd2ec09709145f57.png

Am I a bad Titan if all I want to do is run straight at enemy guardians with Insurmountable Skullfort, Seismic Strike and the new Thunder Coil class item mod which pretty much guarantees a kill?

On 18/10/2019 at 05:10, Nobuo's Organ said:

Sweet Business is a very silly gun and I love it, especially on Iron Banner/Control for shutting down ways into the objective you're capturing, or spinning it up and marching in like the Terminator when people are capturing.

Totally with you on Sweet Business. I've got it paired up with the Actium War Rig chest piece, which auto-reloads almost as fast as the gun can fire (I've not timed it, but it feels like 10-20 seconds of continuous shooting, and it's easy to add fast reload mods to another armour piece).

I'm fairly terrible at PvP, but managed 27 kills in my last Iron Banner match by just holding down fire and wandering around the map.

• Upvote 1

Been playing through the season pass content I missed over the past year.

Drifter stuff - pop element so I'm not arsed

Black Armoury - too much grindy stuff and I got fed up being paired with people who can't take down a walker so I just deleted all my bounties for that one

Menagerie - this is really fun, feels like a micro raid. I take it there's a different boss and different areas every week?

I'm at about 910 now and can't really be arsed going out my way doing all the weekly stuff to get the powerful rewards. I don't play pvp because I still think it's pretty bad, so that's crucible, iron banner and gambit out the window. For the time that needs dedicated to raids I'd much rather be doing something else so I've just been doing strikes and flashpoints.

What are the new activities like in Shadowkeep? I'm probably going to get that eventually if I see any decent deals on PSN credit around Black Friday.

If you're not going to play Crucible, Gambit or raids then the only new stuff I can think of (apart from the campaign missions) are Vex Offensive, Nightmare Hunts and the new tiers of Nightfall, called Nightfall: The Ordeal. And a dungeon to come.

Vex Offensive is good fun, 6-player matchmade with very light mechanics (if you can call them that), and some of the weapon rewards are great if you get good rolls - which you will if you play a reasonable amount, as the drops are plentiful. But if you're not buying until the end of November you might only get a few weeks at best of that, because it's a seasonal activity and will be removed when Season 9 drops (no date given, but may be in December even though Shadowkeep was delayed).

The four new Nightfall tiers are fun, but only the first two are matchmade, so you'd need a pre-made team for Legend and Master.

Nightmare Hunts are tiered in difficulty too, very similarly to the new Nightfalls, and they also only have matchmaking for the first two tiers. They're ok, but are pretty similar to Strikes, albeit increasingly difficult.

There's also a dungeon coming on the 29th of this month. Obviously we don't know what that'll be like yet, but past record suggests it'll be at least very good.

Oh, and there are also several exotic quests. One for a Riskrunner + catalyst, and one for a new rocket launcher, Deathbringer, that are both in-game now. There's also a quest for Divinity, a trace rifle, but as part of that requires a raid completion, you won't be doing that if you're not raiding. A quest is released next week for a bow, Leviathan's Breath, and another for a machine gun, Xenophage, comes out on Oct 29, same day as the new dungeon.

Think that's about it.

Crept up to 899 yesterday... :doh: although the slow development is my own fault as I haven't been playing a whole lot this week. I think I've cleared a bunch of the IB bounties though.

Also along the way I had some goofy matchmaking moments in IB where there were 950 opponents who I could barely dent. Thanks Destiny. :lol: 

(Also also: do we know if the Haunted Forest will be coming back yet? I really enjoyed that in the past...)

Power levels aren't factored into IB matchmaking - it's supposed to be like that. If you're higher power, you'll have an advantage.

Festival of the Lost starts on 29 Oct, but we don't know if it's the haunted forest again or something new.

• Upvote 1

Ah, I knew about the advantage but I wasn't sure if there was some kind of hidden threshold to prevent completely broken scenarios.

Then again, it does have it's own way of dealing with this:

"We're breaking these teams up to find a better match"

:blush: 

Nah, it's always been that way - the most common thing has always been to get a couple of guys appear in the roster with blue gear a hundred levels below the norm, think 'I hope they're not on my team!', and of course they invariably are and the other lot is a six stack with flawless Trials emblems/Recluse/Not Forgotten [delete as applicable according to era]. It's part of the fun of IB.

(Though to be fair, this time round it doesn't seem anywhere near as keen to stack six solo players against a big team. I guess the experience of creating that Survival solo queue has rubbed off on IB in some way.)

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Gorf King said:

If you're not going to play Crucible, Gambit or raids then the only new stuff I can think of (apart from the campaign missions) are Vex Offensive, Nightmare Hunts and the new tiers of Nightfall, called Nightfall: The Ordeal. And a dungeon to come.

Vex Offensive is good fun, 6-player matchmade with very light mechanics (if you can call them that), and some of the weapon rewards are great if you get good rolls - which you will if you play a reasonable amount, as the drops are plentiful. But if you're not buying until the end of November you might only get a few weeks at best of that, because it's a seasonal activity and will be removed when Season 9 drops (no date given, but may be in December even though Shadowkeep was delayed).

The four new Nightfall tiers are fun, but only the first two are matchmade, so you'd need a pre-made team for Legend and Master.

Nightmare Hunts are tiered in difficulty too, very similarly to the new Nightfalls, and they also only have matchmaking for the first two tiers. They're ok, but are pretty similar to Strikes, albeit increasingly difficult.

There's also a dungeon coming on the 29th of this month. Obviously we don't know what that'll be like yet, but past record suggests it'll be at least very good.

Oh, and there are also several exotic quests. One for a Riskrunner + catalyst, and one for a new rocket launcher, Deathbringer, that are both in-game now. There's also a quest for Divinity, a trace rifle, but as part of that requires a raid completion, you won't be doing that if you're not raiding. A quest is released next week for a bow, Leviathan's Breath, and another for a machine gun, Xenophage, comes out on Oct 29, same day as the new dungeon.

Think that's about it.

I actually just got that Riskrunner exotic quest yesterday. Didn't read up on it going in so it was a bit of an anticlimax that it gave you that since I already had it, but the catalyst is nice and I got that completed fairly quickly by just abusing the first round of Escalation Protocol. Ace of Spades catalyst dropped too so I got that done relatively quickly as well.

Finally got my first Forsaken(!) exotic too! Cerberus +1 from an engram from Xur. I've had one exotic engram drop in the wild and, shock horror it was a duplicate so it's good to see that's still happening.

I think I'll try and get that Outbreak Perfected final mission done, and maybe Shattered Throne as well.

Me (Titan) playing the only Iron Banner match I'll probably get to play today: "I AM THE WOLF!"

I need to finish my pulse rifle kills but I can't stop skullforting people.

949.6, STOP GIVING ME ENERGY WEAPONS :quote:

The game just did one of its infrequent shitting itself things and updated infamy and valor ranks and whatnot, but also said something about Cache Anseris being unlocked? What's that then?

Lets see some builds!

Spoiler

zTep6hi.jpg

P1HMdIY.jpg

vImeCFa.jpg

xI3KofR.jpg

0qa23Us.jpg

YmPcHre.jpg

Synthoceps is the only exotic armor piece that's dropped with semi-decent stats for me, which is fine. The combination of Hammer Strike + pop Super for Synthosized hammers is still a pretty decent source of boss damage for most situations, and relatively easy to get going as long as there's a few basic enemies around. Hoping for a good roll on some Peregrine Greaves though, and would love to build something around that with High Strength, or even just Monte Carloe for melee ability regen.

The rest of the build is based around High Recovery armor, with the affinity split between Arc and Solar. 100 Recovery is just great, one of those very basic gameplay changes that you can very much feel on a moment to moment basis. Coupled with Dreambane mods and Recuperation, it means that there are a lot of outs for getting back into the fight after taking damage.

(Side note - I don't know why anyone would take any other Mark other than Solar, considering its the only one that gets Recuperation. And for what it does, 1 energy cost for it seems like a bargain.)

In terms of affinity mods, fairly evenly split between SMG and Machine Gun mods. Enhanced SMG Loader is obviously great with Recluse, but the combination of Machine Gun Ammo Finder and Machine Gun Reserves/Loader makes 21% Delirium even better than it already was. It's pretty great pulling it out to find there are over 200 bullets waiting for you in the chamber.

Pulse Rifle ammo finder is just there in case I ever need to switch back to my Blast Furnace - and even if its not being used for that, it's helping to keep Recluse fed if nothing else.

All 3 damage types are covered, which is all but necessary for some of the high-level Match Game modifiers. My hope is that Thunderlord gets a decent Catalyst - I'd more than happily trade Izanagi for a decent legendary pulse rifle and swap out 21% Delirium if Thunderlord became capable of doing decent DPS again. 

All in all, still not sold on elemental affinity as a concept, but it is what it is for now. Back to the grind for high-level upgrade components...

• Upvote 1

I'm really enjoying this expansion, I have to say. There's an absolute cornucopia of stuff to do, so that I can just dip in and out of the various modes as and when the mood takes me, but whatever I'm doing, I still make progress of some kind. The Armour 2.0 stuff wasn't of interest to me, but just a little bit of tinkering shows that it has quite a lot of impact - the weapon loader mods in particular make a huge difference to reload times. And the way that mods are an unlock rather than a consumable is a great idea; the economy in general seems hugely improved, so that upgrading weapons is relatively cheap and drops are plentiful, so that you can freely experiment with weapons and armour.

The Crucible in particular is loads of fun at the moment. I'm not sure whether it's been given a buff or not, but Crimson absolutely fucking wrecks people.

My main bugbear at the moment is the faff of picking up bounties. I really wish that they were just active when you start an activity, rather than having to drop into the Tower / the Tangled Shore / Calus' Sex Barge / etc to pick them up. I think I'd prefer it if you had to go to the Tower to hand them in, rather than to pick them up, as that ties in with the Tower as the place to go at the end of a session, to cash in engrams and to sort through mods & gear, and to generally relax after some intense shooting.

Didn't know that! I thought he was just for Raid bounties, rather than the Menagerie.

I think Werner (in the tower) and Calus bounties are different.

1 hour ago, K said:

My main bugbear at the moment is the faff of picking up bounties. I really wish that they were just active when you start an activity, rather than having to drop into the Tower / the Tangled Shore / Calus' Sex Barge / etc to pick them up. I think I'd prefer it if you had to go to the Tower to hand them in, rather than to pick them up, as that ties in with the Tower as the place to go at the end of a session, to cash in engrams and to sort through mods & gear, and to generally relax after some intense shooting.

I agree, when I think ‘I’ll just have one quick Strike/Crucible/Gambit match”, it’s always a pain to swing by the tower first.  It’s a shame you can’t collect bounties via the companion app.

37 minutes ago, Jigsaw Monkey said:

I think Werner (in the tower) and Calus bounties are different.

I agree, when I think ‘I’ll just have one quick Strike/Crucible/Gambit match”, it’s always a pain to swing by the tower first.  It’s a shame you can’t collect bounties via the companion app.

Pretty sure they said they were looking into that some time ago. Would be great though, I don't get on until late most nights due to fam stuff but would be a massive help to just pop my phone open at reset and load up the bounties for the evening.

Manged to get Divinity last night after an epic raid session ending at 2am. Didn't get a chance to try it out , I just lay down on the sofa at the end and fell asleep. Looks like a beast  though and overall the vex, Moon and raid weapons have all been pretty fun to use.

The raid pulse is amazing and the Moon HC  and sniper feel great particularly. Even though there is a lot of mumbling and whinnying on reddit (as always) about the lack of a vendor weapon reset, I'm not sure we really need one. I'm much fonder of a limited pool of new themed weapons and actually making them good and chasable rather than just dozens of new shard fodder weapons. I instashard 90% of Y2 weapons now and have done since about a month in to Forsaken. 

I've dropped back into D2 now after being well behind the curve in the last expansion, I haven't been able to do any Raids, have barely done any nightfalls etc as I've always been well behind the required power level.

I feel like they have improved things a lot, I've enjoyed crucible a lot and Iron Banner has been great in terms of gameplay but the rewards have been a bit confusing, I've ended up with a postbox full of drops, multiple versions of the armour, multiple versions of the guns and now I have to sort of sift through them and figure out which one I want to keep.

Then there's all the currencies and the upgrades and mods and quite frankly I'm not sure I can be arsed, for someone who jumps on and plays an hour at a time in the evening, once I've got past the loading screens and ran round collecting bounties I'm barely getting any game play between the admin.

I know I can move things round on DiM and look at stuff so maybe that's something I can do at lunch times or whatever but it just seems like such a faff.

2 hours ago, K said:

The Crucible in particular is loads of fun at the moment. I'm not sure whether it's been given a buff or not, but Crimson absolutely fucking wrecks people.

Like all HCs, it got a nerf to effective range, by a few metres. But it also got a Crimson-specific damage buff from 13.76/24.75 base/precision damage to 19/30.5. So as long as you can hit your shots, that's a pretty substantial increase.

I think everyone I've spoken to has enjoyed Crucible a lot more this season than in previous ones, especially Survival and Iron Banner. Even I've started playing it again, so they must be doing something right/horribly but magnificently wrong.

Just now, Gorf King said:

Like all HCs, it got a nerf to effective range, by a few metres. But it also got a Crimson-specific damage buff from 13.76/24.75 base/precision damage to 19/30.5. So as long as you can hit your shots, that's a pretty substantial increase.

I think everyone I've spoken to has enjoyed Crucible a lot more this season than in previous ones, especially Survival and Iron Banner. Even I've started playing it again, so they must be doing something right/horribly but magnificently wrong.

Weird, because even the range on Crimson is pretty good. It feels like a pulse rifle that fires artillery shells - although this is admittedly mostly on the survival maps, which feel a bit more claustrophobic than other MP maps.

That damage is nuts - plus, you get health regen when you get a kill and a reload, so it's amazing for taking down groups. The conventional wisdom was that it was only good for trash mobs - but they're all trash mobs when I've finished with them.