rllmuk
Gorf King

Destiny: Content Vault of Gaas

2 hours ago, mikeyl said:

I usually get on in the evenings but always available for daytime when I stop pretending I’m working from home.

theres a Rllmuk clan but don’t know the details. I’m in a toxic PC clan but they just talk about settings all day (JOKING @Lyrical Donut DON’T KICK ME)

Twat.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Lyrical Donut said:

Twat.

Future War T**ts

Well I bought the Ultimate Catch Up Edition or whatever it is in the sale. Started the Forsaken stuff this evening after a good fifteen minutes of googling how to find it. 

God Destiny 2 campaign stuff is great. 

15 minutes ago, BitterToad said:

Well I bought the Ultimate Catch Up Edition or whatever it is in the sale. Started the Forsaken stuff this evening after a good fifteen minutes of googling how to find it. 

God Destiny 2 campaign stuff is great. 

I've just finished it, superb stuff. I would recommend doing the follow up stuff after the main campaign bit too, it fleshes out the story a bit further and introduces the dreaming city nicely. I kind of want to jump straight into Shadowfall but then there'll be none left :s

I loved the Forsaken campaign so much. I was under-levelled when I played through it so it was really, really challenging and the structure of hunting down each Scorn badman is great.

1 hour ago, Spacehost said:

The first mission of Forsaken is so good.

Bungie are great at blowing their load on the first mission of campaigns and making everything after that pretty forgettable.

• Upvote 1

Not a huge one because who knows if I’ll drop off again in a week or two, but if there’s any space in the PS4 clan, that’d be good!

21 hours ago, Mafro said:

Bungie are great at blowing their load on the first mission of campaigns and making everything after that pretty forgettable.

Sometimes Destiny feels like a job I do and every so often I take a break to play the great version of Destiny embedded inside it.

So played Freeplay to try season...and that's fine?

The intro mission is fine (although the cutscene with Bray is hilarious)

The public event is nice - but it's a public event. Next to Vex Min/Sundial it feels very slight

And Umbral Engrams and targeting loot is nice...but why? I could find a group for dungeon but friends aren't here. But everything is doing the same content, same bounties, in same places to level up to get to as strong as you were before. And getting the same mods from the artifact to be forced to use certain weapons...

Not enough to put me off September, but it feels like the worst of Y3

6 hours ago, Hexx said:

And Umbral Engrams and targeting loot is nice...but why?

To get decent armor to transmog onto in Y4.

It also makes levelling a lot easier, and I'd personally hate to go into a new year underlevelled as any disadvantage to be day 1 raid ready is something I'd rather avoid.

So, I have now been back into Destiny 2 for a week and have the following to say having put about 6-7 hours into it after a 2 year break. 

1. It is still miles apart from anything that isn't Titanfall 2 "feel" wise. It's just the best. The bows should be illegal, I need an exotic bow and then I will never need another shooter in my life. That tactile feeling when you pull it back, the satisfying death brought down when you land a headshot with it, it's up there with all of the other excellent weapons in Destiny 2 as best in class. I love the different ways you have to deal with the different enemy types, the different powers, everything about the shooting is sublime. There's a reason people get addicted to it outside of slowly increasing numbers, it's because it feels fucking amazing to play. 

2. Forsaken has been cracking and it's been great to come back to after a big long break. When I left Destiny 2 a group of us were trying to get through the Raid, working everything out with a plan to do it all in one after I got back from a month in Australia. Well, everyone had moved on by then and due to a lot of the game's issues with endgame content at launch I was fairly happy to join them and just go back to playing Tites 2. Well, there's now loads of content I've not played, good content, properly new feeling story content. The numbers are trickling up as they do when you're playing for the first time in a while and that first mission with Cayde in the Prison of Elders was one of the best Destiny missions I've played. I also did this week's Nightfall yesterday and it was an amazing strike I'd never played before. Very excited to see what else I've missed strike wise. I'm unlikely to get a raid party together but am happy plodding through the stuff I've not played. 

3. It has never been less comprehensible. There is so much in there and so little explaining it. Everything's familiar but nothing makes sense, it's like being in a foreign supermarket, or talking to your Dad about Brexit. I spent twenty five pounds on content that is currently on sale, and had to google how to play it. Then during the campaign I was told that the next mission had a certain name. On the way out of the Spider's lair, I saw a big icon with a mission with that name. So I did it. It turns out I'd done the Adventure version of this mission and not the campaign version, so I had to do everything again. This only cost me half an hour but on top of the fact I have an inventory literally full of Umbral Engrams which I can't work out what to do with even after googling it a few times, I have no idea what any of the different bounties and reputations are for and I've just sort of forgotten everything, it's a lot to take in. And as I say, the game makes no real effort to tell you what's what. Destiny's always been something you need to do a bit of extra curricular work towards but with systems on top of systems and content on top of content it's becoming a bit ridiculous. It's why a clean break into a Destiny 3 type thing might not be the worst idea ever, but they're not going down that route so never mind.

So overall it's been a fun but frustrating week back on Destiny. If anyone could tell me what the hell an Umbral Engram is and how to use it if I'm not doing the latest seasonal content that'd be wonderful. 

• Upvote 5

I've discovered this is pretty playable over Remote Play if I attach my phone to my Dual Shock 4 via one of those clamp thingies. The Darkness will face my wrath without Iggle Piggle interfering.

27 minutes ago, BitterToad said:

So overall it's been a fun but frustrating week back on Destiny. If anyone could tell me what the hell an Umbral Engram is and how to use it if I'm not doing the latest seasonal content that'd be wonderful.

You need to go and see the Drifter to start a little mini quest thing which let's you operate the big fruit machine thing in his office. 

Took me a Google to work it all out too. 

I know what you mean about raiding, without a regular team it gets to be very arduous to go out and find people but it's doable. 

10 minutes ago, KartoffelKopf said:

You need to go and see the Drifter to start a little mini quest thing which let's you operate the big fruit machine thing in his office. 

Took me a Google to work it all out too. 

I know what you mean about raiding, without a regular team it gets to be very arduous to go out and find people but it's doable. 

So I spoke to The Drifter and I've seen his two machine thingies but the one for extracting the darkness from Umbral Engrams never has anything I can select? Is there something I have to do for him first then?

2 minutes ago, BitterToad said:

So I spoke to The Drifter and I've seen his two machine thingies but the one for extracting the darkness from Umbral Engrams never has anything I can select? Is there something I have to do for him first then?

You should have a quest step to do a specific public event. Don't need to be good at it or anything, just be in the event.

• Upvote 1

The quest should be in your log to do the contact event on IO.  Do that and you should progress it. Don't worry, it really isn't clear at all.  Do the bounties too as you need twisted energy and altered elements so you can craft the better versions of Umbral engrams. 

Yeah, Bungie really need to sort out their explanation of the entire game, it's an abomination.  

• Upvote 1

Interesting that everyone finds it a bit impenetrable. I thought it was just me!

Also found the umbral Engram thing a bit weird — if I need to do a 1050 or something public event to use them, don’t give them to me! Idled through it to eliminate waste in the end. 

Finished Shadowkeep which I enjoyed. But also discovered Menagerie which I love — a no talking required way to do something that feels a bit more involved than just shoot everything. 

• Upvote 1

Unfortunately that will be going in September along with all the relevance of any of the weapons and armour you get from it :(

6 minutes ago, KartoffelKopf said:

Unfortunately that will be going in September along with all the relevance of any of the weapons and armour you get from it :(

I need to do something like two expansions and four raids before September when they disappear, after two years of doing fuck all. I feel like fat Lee Adama having to save the Galactica but not having time to have a diet.

• Upvote 4

29 minutes ago, KartoffelKopf said:

Oh are they retiring all of Leviathan? Seems a shame. Guess I’ll not get round to doing that raid after all!

Luckily I’m still in the closing stages of the sub 950 or whatever power level increase. So all these items need to do is include bigger numbers!

To be fair, that’s about the depth of my Destiny anyway. 

As it stands they've said Leviathan is going so that's 2 raids, 2 raid lairs, Menagerie and Tribute Hall.

That's a lot of really good content and along with my Austringer hand canon and Beloved sniper becoming pointless, all this content and weapon retirement  are making me cautious of getting so deep into Destiny again. 

It’s always felt a bit like they let you play up to max level, then knock you back a few levels every expansion. I think that’s why it feels better if you stay away for a bit, because there’s actually a decent amount of stuff to do. I’m really jealous of the people playing Forsaken for the first time, and sad that they’ve removed and are removing so much of the campaign that I won’t be able to play it again.

I bailed out a while ago, and there’s very little in the new update that I can play, as I’m assuming dungeons still don’t have matchmaking? 

I wonder if they’ll bother with any story reason for sticking stuff in the vault, or if they’ll just cut planets with no real explanation. I guess they did that loads with D2 already.

12 hours ago, Broker said:

I wonder if they’ll bother with any story reason for sticking stuff in the vault, or if they’ll just cut planets with no real explanation. I guess they did that loads with D2 already.

It's pretty much happening now, the reason planets are getting zapped. The pyramids are visiting the planets that are going during the season, and either yeeting them off into an unknown dimension (DCV) or straight up giving them the Aldaraan treatment. The focus is Io ATM with probably Titan (due to last weeks quest mentioning doing stuff on Io or Titan) coming next.

Totally not shocking: the way Bungie have put some information out is making me very confused.

How come certain loot (from, say, Menagerie) will become irrelevant after the big vaulting?

Edit: Ohhhhh I see. Fair enough.

37 minutes ago, StephenM said:

Totally not shocking: the way Bungie have put some information out is making me very confused.

How come certain loot (from, say, Menagerie) will become irrelevant after the big vaulting?

Edit: Ohhhhh I see. Fair enough.

That's the narrative justification for removing destinations but (apologies if you were aware of this already) with regards to gear specifically it's because they're 'sunsetting' everything.

They've got a problem in that there's a bunch of really powerful guns in the game now and there's no reason or incentive for anyone to use or chase anything else. So their solution is to place a limit on how far those existing guns can be upgraded in terms of power level, thereby forcing everyone to obtain new weapons in the forthcoming expansion if they want something that will be usable going forward. There are a few exceptions to this but, for example, everything currently obtainable from the Menagerie while it's still here will be essentially obsolete come September (in terms of its viability in endgame content anyway).

It's proven to be a very controversial decision to say the least.

Just now, pinholestar said:

That's the narrative justification for removing destinations but (apologies if you were aware of this already) with regards to gear specifically it's because they're 'sunsetting' everything.

They've got a problem in that there's a bunch of really powerful guns in the game now and there's no reason or incentive for anyone to use or chase anything else. So their solution is to place a limit on how far those existing guns can be upgraded in terms of power level, thereby forcing everyone to obtain new weapons in the forthcoming expansion if they want something that will be usable going forward. There are a few exceptions to this but everything currently obtainable from the Menagerie while it's still here for example will be essentially obsolete come September (in terms of its viability in endgame content anyway).

It's proven to be a very controversial decision to say the least.

Thanks for that -- I'd seen that the 'sunsetting' was through limiting upper power limit, but didn't really understand the rationale behind it. I suppose it does make sense at that true endgame level, which I never have been overly interested in. But I really want to make the effort to get into more stuff like raids (or at least dungeons) so I guess it will become relevant to me in the end!

I honestly don’t understand what the hell they’re doing that they think they deserve money for. This season cost money and features a public event and a dungeon which locks out tonnes of people by demanding a premade team. Their plan going forward seems to be to sell us shit from D1 again until it’s been a few years, then resell us all the shit, unpopular parts of D2. Its pathetic.