IGNORED

Pewdiepie Is Now Pretty Much Inarguably Racist

Comrade

I found it insane when neogaf went berserk and people we're actually buying into the "Felix is white-supremacist racist" thing. I kinda thought this topic wouldn't appear here because it's so obviously media blowing things up but here we are.

Please, everyone who is accusing Felix of being a racist - do some fucking research.

Read the articles, AND watch the videos in question on Felix's channel - if you come to the conclusion that he is either

A. A Nazi

B. A white-supremacist

C. A racist.

You clearly cannot detect parody and irony, and have some deluded fabricated view of PewDiePie that the unaware audience (who are too lazy to fact check) is made to believe.

670769.gif?b64lines=

From the article

In this face-swapping video he repeatedly uses an image of actress Leslie Jones to represent Harambe, the gorilla killed in the Cincinnati zoo last year. I shouldn’t have to explain what’s wrong with that.

That sounded pretty bad, I must admit. But then I watched the video in question.

Well I like Pewdiepie most of the time but in this case he clearly took things a bit too far with his jokes and got slapped for it. I really don't have a problem with his jokes, he deliberately goes for what he finds offensive and funny just like south park. But then he seems surprised that the media rips him apart. Yes the stories written about him are a joke but he has to accept that he's just giving them a super easy target.

Misrepresentation happens every day in the media and its unfortunate that he has been singled out. But it's really interesting to see how a guy with such a big profile is dealing with these kinds of things - with practically no staff support he's pretty much just a "normal" dude with a ton of money and a huge viewership - and so has zero experience in dealing with regular press and this is what he gets for it. The good thing is that now he's so successful he can do the fingers to the media and provide a case study for how people get misrepresented in media in general. That is until Youtube drops him for being too controversial (never gonna happen).

15 minutes ago, joe bazooka said:

From the article

That sounded pretty bad, I must admit. But then I watched the video in question.

In the paragraph directly above they also say "This 2017 video, in which he decided whether he would “smash,” pass on, or sell particular people into slavery is basically a loaded baked potato of racist and misogynist tropes.".
 Watch the video that accompanies it and see if it matches up at all.

It's like they watched them but just said "fuck it" and wrote that anyway.  Kudos for missing the point great editors..

5 minutes ago, Alan Stock said:

Well I like Pewdiepie most of the time but in this case he clearly took things a bit too far with his jokes and got slapped for it. I really don't have a problem with his jokes, he deliberately goes for what he finds offensive and funny just like south park. But then he seems surprised that the media rips him apart. Yes the stories written about him are a joke but he has to accept that he's just giving them a super easy target.

Misrepresentation happens every day in the media and its unfortunate that he has been singled out. But it's really interesting to see how a guy with such a big profile is dealing with these kinds of things - with practically no staff support he's pretty much just a "normal" dude with a ton of money and a huge viewership - and so has zero experience in dealing with regular press and this is what he gets for it. The good thing is that now he's so successful he can do the fingers to the media and provide a case study for how people get misrepresented in media in general. That is until Youtube drops him for being too controversial (never gonna happen).

Well you make the South Park comparison there. How often do blacks, jews, mexicans, every race ever, disabled people get made fun of in South Park - sometimes (look at the Special Olympics ep) it's purposly shocking, other times its lampooning the people who make these racist/sexist jokes. Either way the show has pretty much zero controversy surrounding it nowadays considering they've covered pretty much every controversial topic - and it seems double standards. Especially when theres much more toxic shows and movies out that encourage these sorts of things with no backlash (Adam Sandler movies, Family Guy etc).

It's definately blown out of proportion, you hear jokes like this daily on the TV and irl so.... yeah idk, its shifting the blame. It's another person to blame everything on, instead of the actual racists burning down mosques and hurting families.

Just now, Majora said:

Is there no way to read the article without creating an account? I want to watch the videos they're linking to 

On where? The "Lol, JK" article isn't exclusive to me. Also Pewdiepies channel is open to everyone.

4 minutes ago, joe bazooka said:

He's neither. I mean, he's not Clarkson Junior. He seems pretty normal.

I guess. I haven't really seen enough Pewdiepie videos to judge properly, but what I've seen of him is quite funny and usually I find people sailing close to the wind amusing. Better than the easily offended dullards who want to shut down everything they don't like at any rate. 

1 hour ago, macosx said:

Listening to it , he's playing the Trump card; the media.

Fuck off and own it. A racist.

Nah mate, he comes across pretty genuine to me.  And the stuff he says about context is bang on tbh. 

He has owned it and said he fucked up.  He's obviously frustrated at what's happened, and the behaviour of the MSM has basically caused the whole kerfuffle (given historic other 'racy' content that never got any attention) 

It's not like it's one fuck-up though, it's a long history of being a cretin about making racist jokes that happened in this occasion to cost him his lucrative business ties.

You can argue he's not a racist but you can't seriously claim he's not a cretin.

And South Park meets a far higher standard in structure, context and execution with its bad taste jokes.

8 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

It's not like it's one fuck-up though, it's a long history of being a cretin about making racist jokes that happened in this occasion to cost him his lucrative business ties.

You can argue he's not a racist but you can't seriously claim he's not a cretin.

And South Park meets a far higher standard in structure, context and execution with its bad taste jokes.

He hasn't lost his subscribers. If fact he's now got 53000001.

He doesn't seem to be a cretin either.

Not something I'd go out of my way to watch but I'm pleasantly surprised he isn't the gurning oaf I assumed he'd be.

21 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

South Park does have a fine line it walks, but it does divulge into 'lesser' comedy(?) - I mean it was pretty heavily shock/toilet humour early on. I watched this episode the other night for instance and not sure you could defend it with the same logic

1474128131386.jpg

I could bring up other examples if I looked, where stereotypes of race/sex are used as a punchline but I don't want to flood the page. "fucking jew" "fucking faggot" all these phrases are used pretty frequently in SP and no one bats an eyelash.

Over the past few years Felix has changed his Pewdiepie persona a bit, and referenced it in his H3H3 video "Do you want wahoo-wacky-old Pewdiepie or wannabe-edgy-2017-Pewdiepie?". I would say he acted like an "unfunny cretin" in alot of his very early stuff, but the past few years his content has been enjoyable and his humour has been more "dark", sarcastic and pessimistic over the years which I appreciate. He isn't an idiot, he is just phasing out the whole 'putting-on-an-act' for YouTube that helped start his career, and elements of that still shine through but he seems more genuine/real as a person, especially if you see him on other youtubers channels who aren't all "TOP OF THE MORNING THIS IS AJCPASFKASFSAPFSA"

I'm sorry are you under the impression that I don't realise it's an act?

I know it's something he puts on. That's what makes him a cretin. An ignorant man speaks hate with casual disregard for the consequences, but a truly stupid man adopts it as a persona.

Just now, Alex W. said:

I'm sorry are you under the impression that I don't realise it's an act?

I know it's something he puts on. That's what makes him a cretin. An ignorant man speaks hate with casual disregard for the consequences, but a truly stupid man adopts it as a persona.

You're logic is literally someone who puts on an act is a cretin.

Are you aware there is a whole profession dedicated to the art of acting?

Just now, Alex W. said:

That's not the least bit what I wrote. 

Okay, well when I watch Felix's videos it's apparent to me when he is being serious, and whe he is sarcastically mocking someone else.

I think if his entire video was him just being an act with no actual points made then yes, he would be - but he makes points, voices them, and can bounce between being serious and jokey and still make his message clear. To me anyway.

idk, i think dramatic example is needed to shake things up. I dont think he makes 'racist' jokes, I think they're jokes pertaining to race but theres a difference. If the punchline is at the expense of the race in a negative way then yes, thats racist.

Anyway, from Felix's point of view I guess he's set for life so he's not worried about severing business ties. Of course this doesn't mean im saying he can say or do whatever he wants (though im sure he could technically) , just he can be open and honest and say whats on his mind. Who knows what im getting at here.

1 hour ago, buizel said:

On where? The "Lol, JK" article isn't exclusive to me. Also Pewdiepies channel is open to everyone.

Sorry I got confused and thought the videos were linked to from the Wall Street Journal.

I feel conflicted about all this to be honest. I have absolutely no love for Pewdiepie at all and struggled to watch most of the videos because there's so much hyperactive shouting. I couldn't imagine willingly wanting to watch any of his stuff.

But I've watched all the 'controversial' stuff now and I really wasn't offended at all, nor did I get the slightest hint that he was actually a racist or anti-semite or whatever. And calling out the Harambe/Leslie Jones thing is just flat-out bullshit. Whoever wrote that Wired article sat there, watched the face swapping video and then wilfully ignored the context of literally the entire video so they could sensationalise something out of nothing.

I don't think he's funny, nor do I think the jokes are clever, but the quality of the humour doesn't really matter in the end does it? I mean, this line I saw earlier in the thread stood out to me (no offence Alex, I'm not trying to call you out, I've seen this line of reasoning plenty of times elsewhere too):

Now I'm pretty sure that I've seen far more genuinely near the knuckle, offensive humour in South Park, and Family Guy for that matter, than I've seen from those Pewdiepie videos. But that's ok because they're executed better? So in the end it's not about intent, or offensiveness, but simply how well written the bad taste is? And speaking of South Park, let's not forget how much of the humour in the early years was really crude or just Cartman saying 'fucking faggot' and 'fucking Jew' a lot. Not exactly high brow stuff. The show may have evolved since then into something much more satirical but it was incredibly crude and wannabe edgy at the start and a lot of the bad taste jokes really didn't have that much satirical context at all. But that's ok because people like South Park I guess. No one is rushing to smear Matt and Trey based on some shitty one-note faggot and jew jokes.

The vibe I'm getting over this whole thing is basically 'I don't like Pewdiepie + bad attempts at edgy humour = outrage'. If he's dropped by Disney or whatever because they don't want to be associated with poorly executed bad taste jokes then fair enough. But there really isn't much to get upset about here, he's simply not a very good comedian.

Now let me never waste that much time writing about Pewdiepie again.

I do think that a joke that's in bad taste has to justify itself by at least being good, yes. It's a necessary but not sufficient condition.

I don't think throwing a Hitler reference into something constitutes making a bad taste joke though. I mean there's a bright line between bad taste humour and bad taste as a substitute for humour.

I do think this wouldn't be such a big deal if it wasn't a big, popular Youtube star, losing big deals, at a time when actual Nazis are earning legitimacy. But that's life in an expressive medium, right? You don't get to exist in a vacuum.

2 hours ago, dood said:

Nah mate, he comes across pretty genuine to me.  And the stuff he says about context is bang on tbh.

How about we put his apology in context?

A "sorry if you were offended" non-apology, sandwiched between a long, needy rant about the mainstream media that's apparently conspiring to get him; earnest assertions that he's just a humble guy, misunderstood and misrepresented; and of course a reminder of his past charitable donations.

I wouldn't call it genuine.

He obviously doesn't think he did anything wrong. Fine, I haven't watched the videos and don't care much about the content of the jokes. But his apology is excruciating. I don't get how the same posters who like to complain about the humourless types who take offence at everything can seemingly watch that video without wincing.

3 hours ago, buizel said:

I found it insane when neogaf went berserk and people we're actually buying into the "Felix is white-supremacist racist" thing. I kinda thought this topic wouldn't appear here because it's so obviously media blowing things up but here we are.

Please, everyone who is accusing Felix of being a racist - do some fucking research.

Read the articles, AND watch the videos in question on Felix's channel - if you come to the conclusion that he is either

A. A Nazi

B. A white-supremacist

C. A racist.

You clearly cannot detect parody and irony, and have some deluded fabricated view of PewDiePie that the unaware audience (who are too lazy to fact check) is made to believe.

670769.gif?b64lines=

Time and time again the old excuses get rolled out. You don't have to be "a racist" to make racist remarks. That doesn't absolve you of anything though. 

The reason no one detected parody, apart sycophants, is that there isn't any.

1 hour ago, JohnnyRyall said:

How about we put his apology in context?

A "sorry if you were offended" non-apology, sandwiched between a long, needy rant about the mainstream media that's apparently conspiring to get him; earnest assertions that he's just a humble guy, misunderstood and misrepresented; and of course a reminder of his past charitable donations.

I wouldn't call it genuine.

He obviously doesn't think he did anything wrong. Fine, I haven't watched the videos and don't care much about the content of the jokes. But his apology is excruciating. I don't get how the same posters who like to complain about the humourless types who take offence at everything can seemingly watch that video without wincing.

The apology seemed worded like that because it didnt really seem like he meant it 100%. You're right, he doesn't seem to think he did anything wrong - and you disagree with that. I agree with him, and don';t think he needed to apologise.

If we're going to get every creator, celebrity, comedian, presenter and anyone in the media to apologise for every edgy racy remark we would be here all day - and in case you dont want to watch -  these clips are from videos where Felix is being like "fine you all call me a nazi, here you fucking go *wears nazi uniform*" and then even says in the video "ill bet theyll take this out of context", and low and behold they did.

He is being held to an unfair standard, mainly by people who see "Oh Pewdiepie hes a popular with them meme spouting kids! Wholesome fun!" even though his videos have swearing and some adult games/themes, so when unaware people - like yourself, see this, you judge him to that standard.

In the end it's newspapers deliberately and repeatedly taking things out of context to misrepresent so they can follow through on a sensationalist headline (even though accompanying videos directly contradict the captions).

I dont know why im posting so much to defend him, but I stand by what I say. Guess it doesnt really matter. Hell even Pokemon had Hitler jokes

screenshot-2015-05-05-at-2-27-50-pm.png