Narita Boy

milko

I dunno, seems pretty good to me so far. Reminds me of Flashback more than anything.

Doesn't hurt that it looks and sounds so nice, although I can't imagine anyone playing with the CRT filter on for more than a few minutes.

I bounced off this too.

The look and soundtrack are amazing but the gameplay is just floaty, unresponsive rubbish. And this is on PC too.

Also as others have said the writing is trying too hard, to the point of being obtuse and so you just zone out and ignore it. There's no reason to care about anything.

What a shame.

On 30/03/2021 at 08:32, Rudderless said:

The story's bad, yeah. I think it's a perfectly reasonable Metroid-like – with the different transformations and powers it mixes things up just enough – but it's definitely the art and score that carry it. 

Just you and me enjoying this then. I'm at the blue lands and I think this is lovely. Yes bobbins story but I like the integration of what I am assuming are biographic elements from the creators life.  Love the style and soundtrack. 

• 2 weeks later...

The soundtrack's on Youtube, I got bored of that too to be honest though - still like the track they used on the trailer. I think too much time passed, I was unusually excited if I actually started a topic on it! But I couldn't get it to recognise my controller and it was a bit painful on keyboard.

I’m quite enjoying it (got to the yellow world so far) and it does look and sound fantastic.

The platforming is a bit wooly, but thankfully so far that’s been fairly basic so not caused too many issues.

The combat is quite crunchy and I like the fluid pair of dodges/shoulder bashes for dancing around.

Clearly not a £20 game but worth a spin on Gamepass

On 01/04/2021 at 01:46, deerokus said:

Opening with an info dump about the story you've given me no reason to care about is just bad. 

Put me right off. 

Spoiler

images2Farticle2F20162F072F182Fanigif_enhanced-2824-1450724242-10.gif.8eb4836df4a30fff7ce433392ae9afe3.gif

I finished this the other day and thought it was pretty great. I even managed to get all the achievements after using a spoiler free guide to pinpoint the 3 or so hidden rooms with floppy disk fragments. 

Some proper hardcore bosses in there too that required a lot of skill. 

Recommended for sure :hat:

• 2 weeks later...

Played through the rest of this today and in conclusion I really liked it.

Yes the story tied itself up in knots with masses of meaningless technobabble, but it’s riffing on Tron quite literally in both a good and a bad way.

The main ‘story’ told by flashback by finding the creators memories is really charming and beautifully executed.

Anyway once I zoned out on the waffle from the NPCs and focused on the visual and aural beauty and the quite clever combat mechanics it proved to be quite compelling. Every enemy has a particular method you need to work out and then use in a systematic order and I really liked the colour changing mechanic the game gradually introduces.

Several of the bosses are actually quite challenging and require you to properly work out patterns and plan your attacks accordingly. There is as it’s been pointed out a slight lag on the controls you need to get used to and the game would have benefited from using the dpad in places but it’s all quite manageable.

Overall very satisfying to play through and I loved then Back to the Future nod for the sequel tease.

Definitely worth investing a few hours of your time Gamepass owners