IGNORED

Crostini Toscana/Toscani

Poppalarge

I bought some stuff from an italian food merchant website.  They were offering 'pork liver pate' for £1 so i got some.  It came in a jar and was unlike any 'pate' i'd had before.

But it was bloody amazing.   Anyway I decided I needed to make this amazing stuff and I found a great recipe. I actually used chicken livers bit I am sure it can be adapted for most types

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/mario-batali/crostini-toscane-recipe

Total:

45 min

Active:

10 min

Yield:

6 to 8 servings

Ingredients

1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil

1 medium red onion, thinly sliced

1 pound rabbit livers

2 tablespoons capers, rinsed and drained

2 anchovy fillets, rinsed and patted dry

1 tablespoon hot red pepper flakes

1 cup dry red wine

Salt and pepper

12 slices Italian peasant bread, cut 3/4-inch thick

Preheat the grill or broiler.

In a 10 to 12-inch saute pan, heat the olive oil slowly over medium heat. Add the onion and cook slowly until soft, but not brown, about 10 minutes. Add the livers, capers, anchovies, and red pepper flakes, and cook until lightly browned, about 8 minutes. Add the wine and cook until only 3 to 4 tablespoons of liquid remain, about 8 minutes.

Transfer the liver mixture to a food processor and pulse on and off until blended but still lumpy -- it should not be smooth like a puree. Season to taste with salt and pepper and remove to a small mixing bowl.

Grill or toast the bread on both sides and spread each piece with 1 heaping tablespoon of the liver mixture. Divide among 6 to 8 plates and serve immediately.