Cannot Master The Master Race

CovisGod

So my New Years resolution wasn't to get fit or anything quite as spectacular as that, mine was to play more games on PC (Laptop actually), there were a few of reasons behind this, 1) I spent a fair bit of cash on a Laptop, with gaming in mind and up until Christmas had only played Football Manager on it. 2) I love the whole idea of modding and how it can affect your game for the better. And 3) I realised how much time I could spend gaming was cut short by the Mrs wanting to watch some crap on the TV, so gaming on the laptop is perfect for drowning out the drone of Made In Chelsea.

So I found a game that appealed to me, Stardew Valley. Bearing in mind I had never once used a keyboard for gaming this was like learning Chinese, I've got fairly fat fingers anyway being a builder and had to changed the layout round to suit me, I switched the WSAD to move to the arrow keys on the right, and the the enter type keys to WSAD up the top. This worked due to the sort of game it was, not massively fast paced so didn't cause much problems. So I decided to try my hand at a different game.....Starbound, and this is where it all went wrong.

I find it literally impossible to play, I want to teach myself to play it so bad but I must be doing something fundamentally wrong. So I decided to play it how it is meant to be played, using WSAD to move, trouble is you use the left and right mouse buttons to attack, and you face the way the cursor is sat on the screen, so if something is attacking me, I have to click the mouse button, which with a laptop on my lap feels massively un-natural anyway, then if the monster gets behind me I have to physically move the cursor using the touch pad to the other side of the screen by which time whatever is attacking me has killed me. I've tried to do the same opening scene 50 times with the same outcome. If I could move the attack buttons to other keys rather than the mouse buttons it wouldn't be so bad. I can only assume I'm meant to be playing this with an external mouse rather than the laptop touchpad ? Is it possible to play games on a laptop without and external mouse ? 

I know gaming shouldn't generally be played on a Laptop but I can't afford to buy a PC so I'm making the best out of a bad situation. Is the external mouse what I'm lacking or am I just massively terrible and need to give up ?

Thanks fellas, Starbound doesn't support controllers as yet, apparently this is going to change.

So the touch pad thing is the problem then. I think I'm going to get an external mouse and some sort of laptop tray so I can still play sat on the sofa

Oh my god, are you seriously playing Stardew & Starbound with a touchpad? :lol:

Whenever a family member or a friend wants me to fix one of their malware infected laptops the first thing I ask for is whether or not they have a mouse I can use. I can only last 5 minutes on a touchpad before my patience is up and wanting to throw it the entire thing out the window. I can't even imagine having to play a bloody game with one of things lol. Touchpads truly are torture devices of the modern age. 

Get yourself a mouse, man!

If you're going to game on a laptop, you're going to have to turn it into a DTR, as trackpads/nubs are the worst/slowest input device apart from touch, especially on a fiddly desktop OS designed for standalone mice.

This does mean you'll need some desk space to park it with the external mouse attached, preferably used on a dedicated mousing surface, unless you're some sort of animal that uses the bare surface, I wouldn't recommend playing on your lap if you plan to use an external mouse, unless you have an armrest I suppose to use the mouse on, but you might give yourself RSI doing that longterm.

I'm like Goldilocks when it comes to mice. I have a drawer full of mice (in the £10-£25 range) that I bought and just didn't like using. Something about each mouse is irritating, and I couldn't tell until I got it out of the packaging. Every 6 months or so I pay the "mouse tax" and pay for another that just goes in the drawer.

Maybe the scroll wheel isn't notched (eww). Maybe it's a 'travel' mouse that's just too small in the hand. Or it misses one of the features I need... the lack of 4-way scroll when everything else is perfect, or the lack of extra buttons when everything else is perfect. Or everything is perfect, but it's wired and I want wireless.

I found a "just right" wired mouse for the desktop -- but the wire sometimes chafes against the other crap on my desk, limiting the mouse movement. I've used it for long enough that both pad bits on the bottom have perished, and the rubber under my thumb has worn away. It's grotty.

I wanted wireless for the freedom of movement, but they're more expensive and have less features and are usually 'travel' sized.

Definitely get a controller anyway, just to try it out. You can now use either the Dualshock 4 or the Xbone S controller with Steam and remap all the inputs to your heart's content, meaning you can use them with games that aren't even designed to be used with controllers. Can just select whatever the official or the most popular config is, usually, and you're away.

I have a Steam controller too but it's difficult to recommend given the support for alternatives that most people will find more familiar and probably more useful for most games. The touchpads are intriguing, particularly combined with motion control. It's a perfect match for GTA V for instance, making accurate gunplay possible in free aim mode, while also letting you drive vehicles (this is not something you can reasonably do with a mouse and keyboard).

Plug your laptop into your TV with a 99p cable (when Mrs isn't using it!)

Plug an Xbox 360 or Xbox One or PS3 or PS4 controller into your PC (or use bluetooth, your laptop might have it built in)

Play anything with controller support on Steam using big picture mode, it's excellent for this.

For games without controller support, you can now use Steam to manually map keyboard button presses and mouse input to whichever buttons you like. It's really good with the PS4 pad if you have one, as you can map the gyroscope and the touchpad bit too.

Im going to do what someone suggested above and get a TV, not a massive one but bigger than my laptop screen and set it up on a spare desk that I've got plugged into my laptop. Going to get an external Keyboard (backlit obviously) ;) and have it set up as a PC. Until of course I can afford a proper gaming PC. Atleast I'll get used to using a keyboard and mouse for gaming until then.

Thanks for your help everyone !

Steam controller is a nice alternative, but echoing Liamness, I'd probably only get it if you already have a 360 pad. Some games just plain don't work - as technically impressive the touch pad is at emulating a controller, all the right touchpad is really good for is as an actual mouse. The left 'd-pad' is only really good for in-game menu selection, quick action kind of stuff (and awful for something like a 2d game).

But when it's good, it's really good. I found it quite nice to play for Bioshock, but you didn't need to have das uber micro to be good at that game. I find Doom too fast paced for it though. It's absolutely lovely for No Man's Sky.  Most games are fine though and I hardly ever play with a 360 pad so, it's not like the controller is just an occasional thing. In fact, one of the nice benefits of a steam controller for PC is when, say, a mouse pointer might feature. It's as good as a real touch pad for mouse control, though it's probably a bit more like a trackball in practice.

But yeah in short get a 360 controller why do you not have one already?

1 hour ago, cowfields said:

But yeah in short get a 360 controller why do you not have one already?

I have....but Starbound is "unsupported" with controllers, all I managed to make plugging my Xbox One controller in do was get up the Steam menu by pressing the middle button but when I went on to the game none of the controller buttons worked 

Ah right.

I don't really know Starbound then, but if it's a mouse and WASD game you *might* actually get on quite well with a steam controller, since the touchpad on right works well enough for that. you can make the other keys to whatever you want. You can even tweak the deadzone on the joystick.

But also as someone mentioned I think now Steam can remap keys on a 360 pad with the big picture overlay? I don't know this actually. I know that on a Steam controller you can set pretty much any function to any key, key combo, joypad or mouse action you like. It's quite nice actually, as some developers still inside on just giving you 4 config templates for a pad and don't let you actually say "make the A button do this..."