Marvel's Inhumans

JohnC

Someone very high up within Marvel watched all of Iron Fist Season 1 & then decided it'd be a good idea to give the same creator of that show almost $100 million dollars to make a new show with. Almost $100 million dollars to make this with...

Think about that

You have to wonder where the money went. Nobody on the planet looks at that and goes 'that's a hundred million dollar series'.

Presumably the CGI budget will be massive given there's a huge bulldog (bets on appearances? 3 episodes?) and a main character that flits between magic hair and the worst wig ever conceived by man, but still even the glimpses of CG there look dreadful.

And the costumes look shit. And the makeup is laughable. And the cast isn't breaking the bank.

...Where'd they spend the money? Sets? A fair chunk was filmed in Hawaii on location.

At least we can all have a good laugh when this tanks. I love Marvel, but this one stinks of desperately pushing a new property.

1 minute ago, Chindie said:

You have to wonder where the money went. Nobody on the planet looks at that and goes 'that's a hundred million dollar series'.

Presumably the CGI budget will be massive given there's a huge bulldog (bets on appearances? 3 episodes?) and a main character that flits between magic hair and the worst wig ever conceived by man, but still even the glimpses of CG there look dreadful.

And the costumes look shit. And the makeup is laughable. And the cast isn't breaking the bank.

...Where'd they spend the money? Sets? A fair chunk was filmed in Hawaii on location.

At least we can all have a good laugh when this tanks. I love Marvel, but this one stinks of desperately pushing a new property.

Cameras, on-location shooting (costs of flying everyone out there etc), CG and sets/practical FX.

They could've cut out all instances of dialogue and just shown epic sweeping shots of the locations and stuff and it probably would have had a better reception.

33 minutes ago, Chindie said:

I've literally no idea why Marvel still keeps trying to make "Inhumans" a thing. Their latest push in comics failed miserably as well (maybe why this is now a "TV Event" rather than a movie?).

Just now, Hexx said:

I've literally no idea why Marvel still keeps trying to make "Inhumans" a thing. Their latest push in comics failed miserably as well (maybe why this is now a "TV Event" rather than a movie?).

They're worst than zlist mutants.

However the whole push is because of fox having the xmen license

1 hour ago, Tofu said:

Someone very high up within Marvel watched all of Iron Fist Season 1 & then decided it'd be a good idea to give the same creator of that show almost $100 million dollars to make a new show with. Almost $100 million dollars to make this with...

Think about that

Same guy who ruined Dexter, right? No idea why he is still getting any work.

Wait, what? Is this really by the team behind Iron Fist?

Finally got to the end of that last night. The writing was *so* bad, everyone just shouting out their motivation and what they were planning to do immediately. "I hate you because you turned my family against me and now I want vengeance against you."

Don't tell me to take it to the Iron Fist thread, I can't bear it.

Anyway this looks dreadful. I thought everyone hated the Inhumans anyway? The best bit of World War Hulk is when SPOILERS he kills Black Bolt right at the start.

18 minutes ago, Hexx said:

As Tofu says, they want to replace X-Men with them until Fox gives the rights back. They're incredibly petty about it. They killed off beloved X-Men characters, apparently refused to allow toys of the X-Men for years, forced Inhumans into everything and made them the focus of various story events sidelining the X-Men.

But they've always obviously been X-Men knock offs. And everyone can see. The best character is Black Bolt and he doesn't talk. And you can strip all the Inhumans rubbish away and he might actually be a better character.

It might actually be worse for the Fantastic Four. A popular title, runs for years, and they completely bin it, because Fox.

I'm waiting for an Inhuman character to appear in MvC. They've obviously been told no on X-Men characters... Although perhaps being TV based gets them a pass.

I don't get the MvC thing, because Marvel Studios has become much more of a separate entity now. Marvel Comics have just done a major relaunch of their X-Men titles, as at the end of the day they have to generate sales, regardless of who owns the film rights to what.

2 minutes ago, Mr Cochese said:

I don't get the MvC thing, because Marvel Studios has become much more of a separate entity now. Marvel Comics have just done a major relaunch of their X-Men titles, as at the end of the day they have to generate sales, regardless of who owns the film rights to what.

Cutting off the nose to spite the face - typical Marvel.

As much as I used to love X-men when I was younger - classic Claremont fan here. Its been a cluster fuck for a number of years since AoA.

Don't underestimate how much of a dick Ike Perlmutter is either. It's been alleged he cancelled Fantastic 4 because he has a bad meeting with Fox about the characters and thereafter basically wanted to slate wiped clear of them.

10 hours ago, Death's Head said:

If there's no crossover with Agents of Shield then really, what is the point of having a 'shared' universe?

The shared universe as far as TV crossing with cinema goes is effectively a charade unfortunately. It goes as far as the TV shows referencing events of the movies, and that's it. It undermines the idea entirely and I actually think the likes of Fiege would prefer it if the TV series didn't exist. Fuck knows as far as the shows crossing over - Defenders stuff makes no reference to Shield, and you'd think Shield would be interested in a bullet proof bloke and magic ninja appearing in New York.

As far as the movies crossing over, officially it doesn't happen because it's difficult to script and schedule a movie around a TV show's commitments. Unofficially, it's because the movies and TV shows are run separately by different arms of the business, with Fiege running the movies and Perlmutter retaining influence over the TV shows, and who happen to hate each other.

Because I before E, except after C. We can't help it if he spells his name wrong. :ph34r:

The shared universe was kind of cool in the early AoS days, with Nick Fury turning up and stuff, but it quickly faded into nothing after that. I think there was even hypothetical talk of TV characters showing up in the movies, but again that's clearly not happening now.

• 2 weeks later...

So I've never liked the Inhumans (and hate them the last few years in comics)

But Maximus is interesting right? Manipulator with power of suggestion?

How do you describe Maximus to someone who might not know who the Inhumans are?

Iwan Rheon: Maximus is the brother of the king, Black Bolt. He’s part of the Royal Family, and he’s maybe the yin to Black Bolt’s yang. They often don’t see eye to eye. He’s a very charismatic talker, where is Black Bolt’s the complete opposite. That’s a very interesting dynamic.

And also because his Terrigenesis made him a human, he’s kind of looked down on by the rest of the Royal Family and the people of Attilan because he’s not one of them, in theory. It’s kind of the worst thing that can happen to you almost, but because he’s the son of the brother of the king, that meant he didn’t have to go and live in the mines.

Can you clarify: Maximus is human, but does he have powers?

He has nothing. The Terrigenesis took away his Inhuman gene, so that was his transformation. He can’t do anything. He’s useless… He’s a dead man.

Not sure about that. Seems an odd change. And also mines? So they're keeping the caste/slave system Inhumans have? Yeah! That'll make them likeable! Fight to defend their dominion over people!