rllmuk
MW_Jimmy

Celeste

8.5 hours and two utterly destroyed thumbs later and I've finished it! Flipping hell, not bad value for money at all, that DLC. 

I think most screens were really well designed, if you like the really fiendish stuff. Towards the end there were a few too many long screens where you had to replay 15 seconds in order to attempt one hard jump and the like - a few too many gotcha troll moments, too (well, there's only a handful, but they felt a little mean), but I thought it was pretty damn fantastic on the whole. I now have no desire to ever pick up the game again, so "farewell" is a very fitting name for the chapter, too!

• Upvote 2

Definitely the hardest thing in the game. I mean, by size alone, it feels more like 5 levels for one thing!

Slight warning on the DLC “entry requirements”: there are parts of it that require more than just the 8 main levels. As mentioned, if you’re not into the very late-game stuff it may not be your cup of tea anyway, but it tripped me up - I started a new file because it felt like a nice way to work up to it, and then had to either leave and redo some B-sides before carrying on, or redo the first part of the DLC on my main save.

Still been a delight though, bloody fiendish stuff but some excellent twists on the familiar. I think I’m near the end now, but I’ve been wrong about that a few times so far - it’s a beast of a chapter!

Just now, joeplus said:

Slight warning on the DLC “entry requirements”: there are parts of it that require more than just the 8 main levels. As mentioned, if you’re not into the very late-game stuff it may not be your cup of tea, but it tripped me up - I started a new file because it felt like a nice way to work up to it, and then had to either leave and redo some B-sides before carrying on, or redo the first part of the DLC on my main save.

Still been a delight though, bloody fiendish stuff but some excellent twists on the familiar. I think I’m near the end now, but I’ve been wrong about that a few times so far - it’s a beast of a chapter!

Yeah, I thought I was surely near the end roughly every two hours of play. :hmm:

It’s almost a year ago I preordered this and it’s not yet here. Apparently in the post so hopefully just hopefully I’ll get to check it out for the first time shortly. 

I really regret buying this. It makes Hollow Knight look like a walk in the park by comparison. Sadistic by design, not my idea of fun. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Popo said:

I really regret buying this. It makes Hollow Knight look like a walk in the park by comparison. Sadistic by design, not my idea of fun. 

There are lots of good accessibility options.  Just tone down the difficulty to something you find fun.  If i remember correctly,  you can drop the game speed,  give yourself more dashes or extra wall cling stamina.  

I did not know you could reduce the difficulty!

I wrote that last night after trying and failing the game within a game section on the hotel chapter. The precision and reaction speed required was enough to make me want to fling the Switch out of the window. I’ll try it again with a lower difficulty. 

It’s not so much an easy/normal/hard difficulty selector - more like a number of gameplay modifiers that make it less sadistic. I think it’s under the “assist mode” options when you’re opening your save from the title menu. :) 

25 minutes ago, Popo said:

I did not know you could reduce the difficulty!

I wrote that last night after trying and failing the game within a game section on the hotel chapter. The precision and reaction speed required was enough to make me want to fling the Switch out of the window. I’ll try it again with a lower difficulty. 

If it was toward the end of that bit I got really fed up with it at that point and dropped the difficulty down to get past it.  Put it back to "normal" at the next chapter but haven't felt the urge to pick it back up.   Good though it was games are meant to be fun!

• Upvote 1

I’ve reached a room which I just can’t pass. Must have had 30-40 attempts and just can’t get the timing. So frustrating. 

11 hours ago, Popo said:

Personally, I don't think this is anywhere near as hard or frustrating as Hollow Knights endgame bosses and hidden sections. But maybe that's because it let's you pick up and re-play immediately.

1 hour ago, shirubagan said:

I’ve reached a room which I just can’t pass. Must have had 30-40 attempts and just can’t get the timing. So frustrating. 

I've had rooms like this but you could probably multiply the 30-40 several times!

I finished this recently and am pretty pleased with myself as I'm rubbish at these types of games. Died loads obviously but the controls are so tight it never real feels unfair. The story was great too and helps push things along.

Possible post credits spoiler

Is the level after the credits, where I think you need 4 blue hearts to access, a proper level or just bonus stuff?

I bought this during a sale at some point and seeing the thread bumped made me give it a go today. Chapter 2 gave me palpitations... 

Spoiler

It's hard enough without being chased too!!

.. However I did get through it. I felt amazing after. I get the feeling this gets a lot lot tougher though. Going to try and go as far as possible without using assist mode. I doubt that'll be far. 

• Upvote 1

I'm on chapter 6 and it seems to be getting easier, not harder?

Although I've yet to learn I don't have a double jump.

I did the 8pico game in a game and... nothing happened. Am I to understand it’s optional?

If so - fffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck! :angry:

The rest of the game so far isn’t nearly as cruel as that thing, I’m adjusting my opinion and will crack on. 

1 hour ago, bradigor said:

I bought this during a sale at some point and seeing the thread bumped made me give it a go today. Chapter 2 gave me palpitations... 

Hide contents

It's hard enough without being chased too!!

.. However I did get through it. I felt amazing after. I get the feeling this gets a lot lot tougher though. Going to try and go as far as possible without using assist mode. I doubt that'll be far. 

As above I got to just past the hotel bit (and that was largely cause I was getting irritated with it).

Just finished chapter 7... Finally. 

Clearly I found this I've the hardest so far..

Spoiler

Especially considering my final tally so far:

Spoiler

Is Chapter 8 essential?  I only have one crystal heart and I'm not sure I have it on me to go scouring for them. 

14 hours ago, Popo said:

I did the 8pico game in a game and... nothing happened. Am I to understand it’s optional?

Yeah, it's just the original game that this was based on, nothing more.

If I select save and quit does it restart at the same screen?  Or does it go back to start of chapter?  I'm getting a bit ragey on chapter 8. 

It's the same screen for Save & Quit. If you were to go back to the Map, it'd start you at a chapter checkpoint (there are two or three in each chapter), but that's only really applicable if you're hunting for missed strawberries or crystals.