Hollow Knight - Soulsvania platformer

PK

Soul Master is one of my favourite bosses in the game. When I fought him first time I died loads, but on my second run through he fell the first time. That's half the reason I love this game so much: what seems impossible at first suddenly becomes a cake walk when you figure out the enemies moves. It becomes like a dance. 

7 hours ago, grindmouse said:

I decided to give Soul Master a break and  challenge the Mantis Lords.

As you can imagine I totally rinsed them, piece of piss.

:ph34r:

Is that ninja to say 'I'm a ninja for defeating the Mantis Lords', or is it to say 'I was lying about being a ninja; I didn't really defeat the Mantis Lords and am now scared that my secret will be discovered'? If it's the latter, then, without wanting to sound like a twat, they're really not that difficult as they only have two attacks, from memory - the slam from the top of the screen and swipe across, and the boomerang thing - both of which can easily be avoided with practice. Keep going, as the area you unlock by killing them is truly special.

:ph34r:

Was ready to delete this fucking game but fired it up one last time. Had a wander around and then bought the long nail? What a difference that made! I mean, what difference that made? A pixel longer than the other one. Then I fell in a pond I don't even know if I should/could cross five times and then I deleted the fucking game. Downloaded Picross to settle my nerves.

It's precise but not pixel perfect like Meat Boy and the platforming is a little more floaty (although it does take a bit getting used to your jumps low arc and the strong gravity). I'm not sure where you're drawing your comparison from but so far I've only encountered a few Meat Boy like platform sections, tough but nothing difficulty wise compared to that game. Combat requires some skill and timing but again its on a different level to Meat Boy. Put it this way, I managed to finish Meat Boy but it could be incredibly hard and frustrating, whereas this feels challenging but in a good way.

That's the most Meat Boy-y bit in the game, however, and it's optional. The game is first and foremost a Metroidvania rather than a platformer, although some boss battles are almost bullet hell-esque with the number of projectiles and stuff on screen you have to avoid.

55 minutes ago, iknowgungfu said:

It is optional but I thought I read somewhere it opens up several endings. 

You need it to get the complete ending, I believe.

You can semi-cheese the entire area, though, by equipping

Spoiler

The runes that give you soul when you take damage and the honey one that refills your health over time.

That was the only way I found it remotely possible to do. There was even a section where I’d heal at the bench then go die on purpose in order to get soul, go back to the bench to heal and repeat, until I maxed out on soul... still took me about 25 attempts. 

Cheese, but of a very mild variety. 

8 hours ago, Jamie John said:

You need it to get the complete ending, I believe.

You can semi-cheese the entire area, though, by equipping

Reveal hidden contents

The runes that give you soul when you take damage and the honey one that refills your health over time.

The 

Spoiler

Hive one only heals one mask only though?  I have equipped the grub one that gets soul with damage. 

On 16/01/2019 at 08:57, schmojo said:

Just got to Soul Master, funnily enough.

Went exploring and decided to have another crack at Mantis Lords.  And I might be done with the game. 

The boss fights are actually fun, and I'd love to keep at them until I get past. But adding on 3 minutes to get there each time? If it takes you ten attempts, that's half an hour wasted traversing the same terrain. I think the 'Soulslike' component is for a different kind of person to me.

I'd absolutely play a boss rush mode, but the people who love this element have a very different relationship with fun than I do.

Just found 

Spoiler

The path of pain in the White Palace. 

Had a few attempts and then took a sneak peek on YouTube for what else I need to do to get to the end.  Screw that!!! There is a good video where some one is basically some kind of omnipotent hollow Knight player as it was like nothing to them. 

Spoilers in the vid etc etc. 

https://youtu.be/a5EUUB5_HwY

52 minutes ago, iknowgungfu said:

Just found 

Reveal hidden contents

Had a few attempts and then took a sneak peek on YouTube for what else I need to do to get to the end.  Screw that!!! There is a good video where some one is basically some kind of omnipotent hollow Knight player as it was like nothing to them. 

Yeah, sod that for a laugh. Thankfully completing it doesn't contribute to anything.

11 hours ago, grindmouse said:

Just lost 3000 geo.

I hit the spirit twice and then it disappeared. And I was surrounded by flying bastards. C’est la vie.

I used to get stressed by that but it soon builds back up. 

Finally got through the

Spoiler

White Palace. 

Setting my fights on NMG now......I only tried it about 30 times last night :(

1 hour ago, iknowgungfu said:

I used to get stressed by that but it soon builds back up. 

Finally got through the

Reveal hidden contents

White Palace. 

Setting my fights on NMG now......I only tried it about 30 times last night :(

Keep going! Spend a few runs just trying to avoid his attacks for as long as possible instead of trying to attack him so that you can learn his patterns. Only move when you need to - if you prance around like a tit you'll get hit (hey, that rhymes!). Once you've learnt his moves and want to bring the fight to him, be very picky with your runes. IIRC I used the super long nail, the extra damage rune and the one that allows you to move while healing.

When you actually beat him you'll feel like a zen master.

3 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

Ugh... the Mantis Lords are not "easy". The first one is a piece of piss, but fighting two of them at once is worse than Soul Master (who I just defeated yay...)

I found it quite a good fight. Beating one took me a good few tries but that meant I had all the moves down and I beat the second phase on my second go!

1 hour ago, Jamie John said:

Keep going! Spend a few runs just trying to avoid his attacks for as long as possible instead of trying to attack him so that you can learn his patterns. Only move when you need to - if you prance around like a tit you'll get hit (hey, that rhymes!). Once you've learnt his moves and want to bring the fight to him, be very picky with your runes. IIRC I used the super long nail, the extra damage rune and the one that allows you to move while healing.

When you actually beat him you'll feel like a zen master.

What charm allows you to heal whilst moving?

On 18/01/2019 at 19:17, iknowgungfu said:

Just found 

Hide contents

Fuck! But...

Spoiler

...when I got to the end of the White Palace I think it became impossible to go back inside, or am I misremembering?

I bought this day one and after ten hours of not very much fun and aimless wandering and forgetting what I was doing, I've finally seen something in this besides the presentation and it's getting under my skin. A large part was getting the Mantis Claw and feeling the game open up but the sword bouncing also felt like a game changer, as did the Fragile Heart charm. I now feel I have several routes open and several items I want to buy. The music and sound design are also incredibly atmospheric, this whole evening has felt slightly coloured by the vibe they produce. It's a natural kind of feeling, earthy, but threatening, like poison berries. The layers of background and foreground artwork are also stunning. I'm not a total convert yet but I'm starting to see what so many people have loved about it. 

On 09/01/2019 at 11:45, David Heath said:

I finished this last night.

It took 42 hours and I ended with 79% so I still have a fair amount left to do, which I'm looking forward to.

Even now, after beating the final boss, it's kinda difficult to work out what to do next. I have some clear goals where I know what needs to be done, but then there are some objectives I'm not sure how to follow up on. I also don't feel like the map is particularly well signposted, and there's one objective in particular where I have no clue where I'm supposed to be headed. It's weird. It's like I know what's up but I don't know what's up.

I'm up to 99% (what does this go up to?)!

Managed to get the final grub last night, and now I'm about to take on all the boss challenges in Godhome, which I assume will give me something new. I think I still have five charms left to collect? I know I need to take the precious flower thing somewhere, but I'm not quite sure where, and I need to beat the final form of that circus tent motherfucker up in Dirtmouth. I've beaten the White Palace, though, I loved that shit. So close ...

I have sacked off the flower thing (for now but I don't see me bothering with it). I am still battling on with the "final tent motherfucker" too (new official name for him). I must have attempted it over 50 times by now and I am getting there. 

I was trying to explain why I keep torturing myself with it to my wife. She just couldn't quite understand the compulsion to keep trying knowing that as difficult as the game is at times, failure comes at the fault of the player. I don't think I've ever felt that the game was"cheating" and is I've of the many reasons I absolutely love this game. 

However, having spent over 60 hours on it now I do feel the need to complete the main story and move on to other games. That isn't a criticism of the game, more that I have a large list of games to start!

Edited by iknowgungfu
Typos