Hollow Knight - Soulsvania platformer

PK

21 hours ago, Cyhwuhx said:

There aren't any quest markers forthcoming so buckle up or bow out I'd say.

you can buy things to put onto the map though to jog your memory about places you want to return to or what-not.

About 10 hours into this now and it's bloody great. Great when you figure out how to beat some of the bosses though I think my skill set is slowing down as I age. Opening up a fair bit of the map now too. Anyone on the fence should really check it out. Great value for money.

I've played a couple of hours and as others have said, it's a great "souls meets metroidvania" in the form of a 2D platformer.

I'm currently trying to get my head around the game's structure. I've found that due to some unplanned falls and exploration, I seem to have wandered quite far down and across the world in to new biomes. I've also bumped in to a boss who just smacks me with a big hammer and I die. I do have a map, but there's not a "you are here" marker as far as I can tell, so navigation is a bit trial-and error. 

Spoiler

I did find a travel tube, so I have a fast travel back to the surface now, which is nice. Makes it seem like Steamworld Dig actually.

4 hours ago, tyagi said:

I've played a couple of hours and as others have said, it's a great "souls meets metroidvania" in the form of a 2D platformer.

I'm currently trying to get my head around the game's structure. I've found that due to some unplanned falls and exploration, I seem to have wandered quite far down and across the world in to new biomes. I've also bumped in to a boss who just smacks me with a big hammer and I die. I do have a map, but there's not a "you are here" marker as far as I can tell, so navigation is a bit trial-and error. 

You can buy a compass for 100 of the currency from the shop in the starting area ( the surface) which marks your position on the map. You can also buy markers there which mark specific things on the map. Also make sure you buy the quill.

I’m further in now and I still dislike the fact a lot of things cost to open/get. I know if they didn’t have it the ‘die and you lose your geos’ mechanic couldn’t exist but it just ends up with me grinding between screens (to initiate a respawn of the enemies) if I don’t have enough.

20 minutes ago, metallicfrodo said:

You can buy a compass for 100 of the currency from the shop in the starting area ( the surface) which marks your position on the map. You can also buy markers there which mark specific things on the map. Also make sure you buy the quill.

Yes, thanks. I googled and found a Hollow Knight Wiki, which told me all about the Map and Quill (http://hollowknight.wikia.com/wiki/Map_and_Quill).

Got the wall jump and that’s opened things up quite a bit. Went exploring for a while into a place with no map or bench. Got killed by a boss thing. Can’t be arsed going back there.

so yeah, this is good... but I don’t think the Souls thing works that well. And it’s ‘Soulstroid’ not ‘Soulsvania’

On 20/06/2018 at 19:50, scottcr said:

Got the wall jump and that’s opened things up quite a bit. Went exploring for a while into a place with no map or bench. Got killed by a boss thing. Can’t be arsed going back there.

so yeah, this is good... but I don’t think the Souls thing works that well. And it’s ‘Soulstroid’ not ‘Soulsvania’

I think that’s just simple fear talking. :) Go and explore. And as with anything Souls inspired: take your time. That said, you should probably head East. 

:D

Spoiler

The fight with Dung was great. The voice upfront and then the actual fight! Such chaos with bouncing balls, yet never overwhelming to the point of it becoming unfair.

So far, combat balance is excellently pitched. I do notice becoming a bit more confident, but the game always seems to have something up its sleeve to - at the very least - slap you in the face a few times. 

An absolute joy. Especially when you start mixing up those Charms. 

By far the hardest thing about Hollow Knight for me is finding appropriate moments to heal during boss encounters. Occasionally a boss will pause overtly with the obvious intention to give you a moment to heal, but outside of those moments healing is almost impossible. I'm trying to defeat Brooding Mawlek with six hearts and a nail upgraded once, which I think I'm probably supposed to be able to do fairly easily at this point, but I get wrecked whenever I try to heal up. The charm that's supposed to speed up healing doesn't do much either.

Edit one minute later: boss down. Surefire way of defeating a boss you're stuck on: post on rllmuk about being stuck.

The first I figured out by accident. The second seems logical considering the Soul ‘receptacle’ is actually broken. :)

Spoiler

Also loved the Soul Master battle and especially the ‘encore’. Like Guacamelee! this game makes you own your skills. 

If this keeps up, Zero Mission might get a new sibling.

Put about three hours in, looks and plays lovely.

Really need to unlock some movement options though, and got a little bored of traipsing through the same areas by the end of my last session trying to find a Stag fast travel for Greenpath. I’m sure I’ve missed something obvious.

The map is poor too. I don’t mind the unlocking, mechanics but the zoom level isn’t good enough.

Still, very early days, but just lost the love a bit in the last hour.

Do agree about the map zoom, I was expecting one extra level at the least, it's not deal-breaking, just slightly annoying, especially when the markers are pretty large.

You'll get more toys. :) Just push on a little further.

Finally got to Hornet. Bloody hell that was tricky. I clearly need to git gud as she took me more than 20 attempts. Still, now I have the dash it’s back to the start areas to explore new avenues, before delving back down into the fungal place to find Cornifer - had a good wander initially, but haven’t found him yet. I’ll be back.

I have now bailed on 3 bosses - Mantis knights, the one in soul sanctuary and the one in the starting area that spews out lava globules. Tonight I will stop wandering, stop avoiding the issue and take down those knights.

This game is more compelling than anything I’ve played since Dark Souls.

I'd heard good things about this game, & I haven't been disappointed.  The Metroidvania aspect of exploring for upgrades is something I really like, but the fact that bosses & even just regular enemies present a higher level of challenge than most 2D games is also compelling in spite of how frequently I get my ass kicked.  There are now 2 distinct bosses & other ends of the map that i've faced & few times & made some headway against, but I find myself thinking about their patterns & how I could respond to them during idle moments of the day, which I understand is similar to how most people play Dark Souls.

Spent some more time just exploring, discovering new sections of the map & picked up a few more secrets & upgrades last night.

I'm experimenting with different badge loadouts to see what I find most useful, & I've found some that I think could give me a bit of an edge with those bosses I couldn't take down before, but I know that the end it's going to come down to learning their patterns & responding appropriately, just like every other enemy in the game.

Ooh, the wall jump really opens things up nicely. Got a few potential avenues to explore now I think, and some boss rooms await.

It's challenging, sometimes hateful, and almost wilfully obscure, but it is excellent.

However, it feels like it needs a bit of visual variety - hopefully the later areas push the style a little further.