Hollow Knight - Soulsvania platformer

The game would do well to list the bosses you've defeated, if only so you can a) Count them and b) Have a list to work off when trying to find other bosses, but maybe we'll get that for Silksong if that has a comparable number of bosses.

The Warrior Graves as I think they're called should all be marked on your map (to be able to buy the marker from the map shop, you have to beat at least one of the Warrior Graves first). What's the boss's name by the way?

In terms of progress, has she got the King's Brand? Getting that will enable you to enter a new area and gain a new ability (plus an upgrade to an existing one that you should already have) that lets you pass through those black barriers if you've seen them dotted around the place (there's one in Fog Canyon, plus a couple of other places). The other thing you need to do is to get 1800 Essence then go and chat with the Seer again. Doing that will enable you to enter another new area which has some of the most hellish platforming ever, but it is entirely do-able if you're patient and just max out your health with charms. 

If you stick in a screenshot of what your map looks like, it'll be possible to give you a non-spoilery hint as where to look in order to continue progress.

As for me, I can get to the final boss in the Pantheon of the Knight with a reasonable degree of consistency (apart from those odd moments where I panic and die to the third or even the second boss to my eternal shame), but that boss is an utter bastard. Double damage attacks and just so aggressive and agile that I get absolutely plastered every single time. I've beaten it only twice in literally dozens of attempts, and until I can beat it the majority of the time, I'm just wasting my time on the Pantheon. 

Spoiler

That all said, I can now do the Failed Champion with nary a hit, I'm consistent with the Watcher Knights and even Markoth goes down quickly. Soul Tyrant is an arse, because you get so few chances to get hits in that it's difficult to build up Soul to heal if you get hit a few times, plus I've been clobbered by a projectile coming in from off-screen, so I shifted my base position to be in the centre as much as possible and that is working out better. Every so often I miss his lunge across the screen because I'm too close but it's been better overall. Just need to master Pure Vessel and then I can finally get this Pantheon done. 

tl;dr I'm shit at dodging and need to git gud.

On my last mask of health, and PV was down to the last 1-2 hits and I managed to get myself clobbered by a Soul Pillar that I had otherwise been dodging perfectly. Naturally on my next attempt, I got all the way up to PV with full health and then had a mild attack of nerves and buggered up every single evade and dodge. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU.

I'm going to bed and will have another crack at it tomorrow when I'm less tired and less likely to pitch my controller out of the window if something similar happens again.

PXL_20200925_144459124.thumb.jpg.bc5fcb9d64566ffc3e745e827aec9915.jpg

It is done. 8-)

Now, do I want to spend a significant number of additional hours going for the final Pantheon, try the speed runs for a change of pace, or just put the game down and play something else for a while. Decisions decisions! 

Edit: Checking back through the thread I spent 11 hours just on the fourth Pantheon (!) of which I reckon over half was spent flailing at the final boss. 

This game is so gorgeous at times. Well, all of the time. But I'm in The Hive at the moment, and the foreground graphics and lovely golden glow are just *chef's kiss*

It's still kicking my ass, but I make a bit of progress each time. And I'm never quite sure if I'm in the "right" area, which gives that great Souls feeling of "Should I press on?". It doesn't help that funds are an issue at the moment (which reminds me - the game has some great gags too).

@Talvalin Thanks for the replies to my questions earlier. I found the last soul shard in a hidden area by accident when I was plotting my flower quest route. I finally managed to do the flower quest after a few hours of attempts (thanks to Youtube for giving me content to watch in the background!). I actually looked up the location to take the flower to because I made it all the way to the gardens and then had no idea where to go. I ended up taking a route through the crossroads and fog canyon, using the charm that lets you fire projectiles at full health to help kill enemies at range.

As for the other upgrades:

Spoiler

I got my final mask shard as a reward for the flower quest so I think I've got all of the shards now (9 masks of health and 3 extra soul balls). Thanks for the abyss shriek hint, I looked online for a clue too which unfortunately pretty much gave the room location away. I already knew about the room but I'd assumed I'd already picked something else like a charm there, which is why I never even considered it as housing a secret. This is why hunting for endgame stuff can be so hard because you just can't remember everywhere you've swept.

As for the charms, I am on PS4 so can't easily provide screenshots, but I can describe where the 2 empty charm slots are. Note I have the Grimmchild charm but none of the Grimm flames within it, so its possible the missing charms are from the Grimm DLC. The first empty slot is on the 3rd row down, sitting to the right of the Defenders Crest and the left of Quick Focus. The second empty slot is also on the 3rd row and sits to the right of Lifeblood Heart and the left of Joni's Blessing. 

I did get the final Dream Nail essence required to finish the Essence quest, actually it was a lot less than what I said before, killing Lost Kin gave me the extra essence I needed to finish the Resting Grounds elder quest chain.

I have grinded on the final Trial of Fools quest for hours a number of times in the past and got very close to the end but it may be one I skip out on as it's so demoralising and also frustrating. I will be returning to it a few times to finish off the Beastiary too, there are 2 enemies exclusive to the trial I stil need to kill a few times. However with the new upgrades I suppose I might have a better chance, so we'll see. Uber Zote is one I feel I can probably beat as I have got close to finishing him before, although yeah his attacks are so sporadic and there's so little room for error it gets pretty wearying so if I get the final ending I dunno if I'll bother returning for him

Other than the two missing charms I think that's pretty much everything I need, I did uncover a new secret room but it was just another useless Hallownest Seal, and there's nothing left to spend Geo on. Even without the 2 charms I'm already better equipped to take on Radiance thanks to abyss shriek and the extra health and Soul. For anyone who is interested, I'm currently at 103% completion. Cheers for the help!

So, having persevered my girlfriend has made it through most of the game I think. She’s fully upgraded the nail, got all the charms, all the vessel fragments. She’s missing one mask shard. 

In terms of actual stuff to do she’s got the radiance, the last grim troupe boss and the third level of the colosseum. I don’t think there’s any areas left, but one thing she’s missing is the pantheons. The wiki mentions them constantly, but when you go to the page it doesn’t seem to think it’s worth mentioning how to actually access them. They seem like the only substantial content left outside of stuff she’s already tried.

7 hours ago, Broker said:

So, having persevered my girlfriend has made it through most of the game I think. She’s fully upgraded the nail, got all the charms, all the vessel fragments. She’s missing one mask shard. 

In terms of actual stuff to do she’s got the radiance, the last grim troupe boss and the third level of the colosseum. I don’t think there’s any areas left, but one thing she’s missing is the pantheons. The wiki mentions them constantly, but when you go to the page it doesn’t seem to think it’s worth mentioning how to actually access them. They seem like the only substantial content left outside of stuff she’s already tried.

Congratulations! I have to admit that it was a bit of a slog at times but I hope she found it as enjoyable as I've done. I've sunk about 90 hours into the game (all bosses minus one, and just the final Pantheon and the speed runs to go).

So, to access the Pantheons in Godhome, you need to have a Simple Key (there's a limited number in the game and if you've used the others then there's a hidden NPC sort-of boss fight near the Colosseum  where you can get one that is pretty difficult to stumble on without a guide).

You need to go to the bench in the Royal Waterways then head towards Flukemarm.

https://kotaku.com/how-to-start-hollow-knights-new-dlc-godmaster-1828560308

I would strongly recommend beating NKG and the Radiance before starting Godhome. It's basically a boss rush mode and whilst the first two Pantheons are straightforward until the bosses, the next two are hard (the fourth one took me about 10 hours of practice, and most of that was on the final boss) and the final Pantheon is beating every single boss in the game in a row. You get periodic benches to rest at and change your Charm loadout but OMG. Also the Radiance is an arse and that alone will take a while to beat (and cannot be practiced in Godhome like other bosses until you reach it at the very end of the final Pantheon).

I do plan to attempt the final Pantheon, but I'm taking a break with Nier:Automata before I go back to it because I know it's going to take me a long time to get there.

About that last mask shard:

Spoiler

If she's managed all that without a guide and explored pretty much everywhere, then I suspect the missing mask shard is for the Delicate Flower quest. If she hasn't done that, then have a poke around the corners of the Resting Grounds area near the Seer and then attack walls and ceilings until you find the NPC who gives you the quest.

• 1 month later...

Replaying this on PS4 because it seems to fill the void between PS4 and PS5 and... oh my, I'm falling in love all over again. :wub:

Once again amazed at how the 'order' of gaining skills/items in the game isn't really there apart from the starting area. So glorious, so bright...