Xbox Game Pass - GUIDE TO BEST DEAL IN FIRST POST

Harsin

1 minute ago, PeteJ said:

Quick question - my lad plays a lot of Forza Horizon 4 via Gamepass on XBO. If I upgraded to the Ultimate edition will it apply to my Gamepass download? It's on sale at the moment and seems pretty good value. 

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/p/forza-horizon-4-ultimate-add-ons-bundle/9p7jj1fkqwxh?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

Yes.

Just now, Doctor Shark said:

Any upgrades or dlc should work fine unless the game is removed from game pass. Then you're left with something you can't use unless you purchase the base game. 

Though in FH4's case, they'll presumably have a very cheap base version of the game available 4 years in before it goes out of licensing.

3 hours ago, Quest said:

Battletoads seems to be hovering around the 70 mark on Metacritic. Hardly stellar but I'll be giving the three player co-op a bash with some friends next week. We'll see how it fares.

It's alright, repetitive gameplay but decent enough. 

Looking forward to trying it out later, Some people whose opinion matters a lot to me and play a lot of arcade games seem to think the combo system is better than SoR4's and more in line with DMC5 (pull/push) so hopefully I'll enjoy it. I thought SoR4 was largely overrated.

I was thinking about making an official topic for Battletoads but I honestly don't have the energy to deal with the predictable 'this is shit/reviews scores' that's going to inevitably happen on this site.

Have fun.

This review mentions the terrible bike sequence bit that everyone hates (I remember it on the SNES version, never got past it). 

The original NES Battletoads features a level called 'Turbo Tunnel', an infamously brutal jet-bike sequence which ruined childhoods and sent countless NES pads from hand to wall to landfill. When Nightmare Riders pops up near the end of 2020's Battletoads reboot, you've already had to suffer through one such level, which itself isn't exactly simple. But this one strips away checkpoints entirely, bombards you with insults, and really tests your memory, reactions, and patience like nothing else in the game.

https://www.trueachievements.com/n42908/battletoads-review-creative-cartoon-clobbering-courtesy-of-some-crusty-croakers

So yeah, dont think I can put up with that again (insert Seinfeld leaving gif)

That review is a bit harsh as the new one has nothing like the originals' difficulty. I gave it 7/10 but it's plenty of fun and perfect Game Pass material. I found the combos to be fun but the game is just a bit too limited. Not helped by skipping between genres so much. Certainly worth the 4 hours it'll take to clock it (even with the bullshit racing levels). 

The bike level, which is the second level, goes on far, far, far too long. My seven year old was getting really frustrated with it but we passed it in the end. 

Gameplay is alright. Feels a bit sluggish and clunky, hard to describe. Not as responsive as you'd like. 

Enjoyed a couple of hours on it tonight. 

The writing hits the mark and the art style works when you take it as a Nickelodeon cartoon that you play. It would have been received better had it come out before Streets of Rage 4 raised the bar.

Between Battletoads and Spiritfarer, this has been a strong week for Game Pass coming off the back of MFS.

Just when I thought I was out playing Fall Guys on PS4, Phil pulls me back in.

1 hour ago, earlymodernsteve said:

That review is a bit harsh as the new one has nothing like the originals' difficulty. I gave it 7/10 but it's plenty of fun and perfect Game Pass material. I found the combos to be fun but the game is just a bit too limited. Not helped by skipping between genres so much. Certainly worth the 4 hours it'll take to clock it (even with the bullshit racing levels). 

The harsh review gave it a higher score than you did!

20 hours ago, Revival said:

Looking forward to trying it out later, Some people whose opinion matters a lot to me and play a lot of arcade games seem to think the combo system is better than SoR4's and more in line with DMC5 (pull/push) so hopefully I'll enjoy it. I thought SoR4 was largely overrated.

I was thinking about making an official topic for Battletoads but I honestly don't have the energy to deal with the predictable 'this is shit/reviews scores' that's going to inevitably happen on this site.

Have fun.

All these wankers and their differing opinions! How dare they! 

I know, After playing it for a few hours you'd have to be a total clueless wanker to say it felt sluggish and clunky. It's nice and responsive, has a run and dodge button mixed with some great varied combat options. Very impressed so far.

51 minutes ago, Revival said:

I know, After playing it for a few hours you'd have to be a total clueless wanker to say it felt sluggish and clunky. It's nice and responsive, has a run and dodge button mixed with some great varied combat options. Very impressed so far.

Or, you know. Them opinions. 

New Super Lucky's Tale is up now. I actually found the first game a reasonably competent, if very generic platformer. Better than the first Yookie-Laylee anyway (damning with faint praise I know). 

Not really sure what's meant to be different about this update though.

9 minutes ago, Majora said:

New Super Lucky's Tale is up now. I actually found the first game a reasonably competent, if very generic platformer. Better than the first Yookie-Laylee anyway (damning with faint praise I know). 

Not really sure what's meant to be different about this update though.

The first one was the first VR platformer, and was fun because of that. I'm not sure it ever needed to be released on console.

I enjoyed the first one, could be tricky enough.. played a few hours with the kids, always intended to go back.  Gamepass says: this says its a re-imagining of the original with re-designed and new levels, fully rotatable camera and tighter controls.  I may as well drop the original and start this..

23 hours ago, Revival said:

Have fun.

Haha got my battletoad ship stuff last night..

Publisher Playism and developer Team Ladybug will release Touhou Luna Nights for Xbox One and Windows 10 via the Microsoft Store on September 3 for £14.99 / 1,840 yen, as well as Xbox Game Pass, the companies announced. It will support English, Japanese, Simplified Chinese, Korean, German, and French language options.

The Touhou Project Metroidvania game first launched for PC via Steam Early Access in August 2018, before exiting Early Access with its version 1.0 release in February 2019.

31 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

I don’t anyone has shit on it, though. I said it was fun but felt a bit off to control, and that the speederbike went on too long (which someone else agreed with) and someone else said it was fun but the music was bad (I actually like the music!). 

Other places too, man. Twitter and whatnot.  Meh, it is what it is. And yeah the bike bit should've ended way before it did.

• Harsin changed the title to Xbox Game Pass - GUIDE TO BEST DEAL IN FIRST POST