IGNORED

Xbox Game Pass - GUIDE TO BEST DEAL IN FIRST POST

Harsin

37 minutes ago, Darren said:

Are there any good party games on GP? Ideally turn based ones so we can play pass-the-controller as we only have one...

Peggle? 

I think that's on there - if not the Jackbox games are great and can be played through your phones/tablets so only having one controller is isn't an issue. 

I've also been left very cold by Forza Horizon 4, although I haven't really liked any racer since NFS Hot Pursuit.

I'm loving State of Decay, though. It feels great at 60fps on the series S and, although it felt a bit impenetrable at first, I'm properly into it now.

2 hours ago, Darren said:

Are there any good party games on GP? Ideally turn based ones so we can play pass-the-controller as we only have one...

There's definitely at least one Jackbox pack on there. The good thing about the Jackbox games is that you use your phone or tablet to play so you can have loads of people joining in even if you only have one controller. Might be a problem if you have kids who don't own a phone or tablet though.

11 hours ago, routeburn said:

You're not alone. I've tried playing it a few times and just can't get into it. To me it's just a cacophony of "stuff". I understand that it's this free roaming place where you can do what you want when you want, and I'm not looking for a completely linear experience, but I come away wondering what the actual "game" is. 

The environment is very pretty, but when you can take a direct line from A to B just smashing through dry stone walls, it feels like "god mode" is enabled.

Maybe the game just isn't for me or I'm not turning on the right options or something. 

People have different opinions but I found this to be true in my case. 

It does feel like just a lot of stuff but worse than that, most of the time the stuff tends to be fairly average.  Definitely a case of quantity over quality, I'd have preferred it to be the other way around. 

2 hours ago, Mortis said:

Phogs is fun - been playing that a bit with my 9yr old, overcooked 2 is also ace but usually leads to lots of shouting at each other :)

I've made the mistake of playing Overcooked 2 with my 8 year old daughter before bedtime which ended in tears. The problem is she loves playing it but gets so easily frustrated when having to juggle the orders. 

16 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

Jamie John moaning about summat? Surely not.

:(

I'm not that much of a moaner, am I?

27 minutes ago, Boozy The Clown said:

No. We can"t let this become the narative. There's 2 icons on the map that are DLC. 2 out of hundreds. 

This is just desperate negativity for the sake of moaning.

It's a giant playground of events races,stories and stunts.  They've added 2 years worth of content since launch for free. 

Just no. 

I'm not trying to moan for the sake of it, honestly - I'd have no reason for doing so. If it's just 2 icons, then fair enough, but I'm just commenting on my experience.

For the record, I've enjoyed what I've played so far, but for new players it does seem a bit overwhelming. That doesn't mean I'm going to rage uninstall it and drag its good name through the mud for the sake of it.

2 hours ago, Boozy The Clown said:

No. We can"t let this become the narative. There's 2 icons on the map that are DLC. 2 out of hundreds. 

This is just desperate negativity for the sake of moaning.

It's a giant playground of events races,stories and stunts.  They've added 2 years worth of content since launch for free. 

Just no. 

Yeah accusing it of being like a F2P is borderline insanity.

2 hours ago, Jamie John said:

:(

I'm not that much of a moaner, am I?

I'm not trying to moan for the sake of it, honestly - I'd have no reason for doing so. If it's just 2 icons, then fair enough, but I'm just commenting on my experience.

For the record, I've enjoyed what I've played so far, but for new players it does seem a bit overwhelming. That doesn't mean I'm going to rage uninstall it and drag its good name through the mud for the sake of it.

I understand what you mean. Been playing it since day one so don't have an issue but I recently tried to jump into Destiny 2 with all the DLC after a 3 year hiatus and its totally fucked for new players. 

I gave up after 30 mins trying to find what everything was and a quest for my level and then uninstalled when none of it made sense. Which is a shame as I looked forward to playing it at 60fps. 

I get a lot of people seem to love FH4 here but for a balance of opinion I've put about 8-9 hours into FH4 so far and would only summarise it as "okay".

It does look undeniably pretty (and I expect even better with lots of silky smooth Series X goodness in there) and you are getting a lot of game for your shared subscription cost on GP, but I find the actual driving model/physics pretty ropey most of the time to the point of if not really being that fun. Combined with the ridiculously long load times on my ageing OG One (again probably improved by new hardware) it has meant I struggle to care enough to go back to it regularly and have certainly enjoyed it a lot less so far than both FH and FH2 (I haven't played FH3) which I played every inch of at the time.

Mileage varies obviously and I seem to be in the minority which is fine. Bit of a shame though as I was really in the mood for a good racer.

1 hour ago, FiveFootNinja said:

I get a lot of people seem to love FH4 here but for a balance of opinion I've put about 8-9 hours into FH4 so far and would only summarise it as "okay".

It does look undeniably pretty (and I expect even better with lots of silky smooth Series X goodness in there) and you are getting a lot of game for your shared subscription cost on GP, but I find the actual driving model/physics pretty ropey most of the time to the point of if not really being that fun. Combined with the ridiculously long load times on my ageing OG One (again probably improved by new hardware) it has meant I struggle to care enough to go back to it regularly and have certainly enjoyed it a lot less so far than both FH and FH2 (I haven't played FH3) which I played every inch of at the time.

Mileage varies obviously and I seem to be in the minority which is fine. Bit of a shame though as I was really in the mood for a good racer.

It's almost a totally different game on series x because of the loading times and 60fps.

I spent some more time in Horizon this evening. It's keeping me off Hades for the time being, so it must be doing something right.

The good:

It really does look incredible, and runs so smoothly.

The variety when it comes to the different types of events keeps things fresh.

The racing itself is good and encourages you to follow a line and drive well. It's not a sim, obviously, but nor is it an arcade racer; rather, it sits somewhere in between the two. I'm currently playing with just the braking indications on with the AI at 'above average' difficulty, but I'm winning everything pretty easily now, so I might turn it up a bit and switch to manual gears.

Racing a steam train through the snow was great.

The bad:

I've got my head around the different race types now, but there's still an abundance of guff that the game just dumps on you all at once with little explanation: cosmetic items, car skins, skill points, car tuning, 'Playlists', 'Horizon Life', 'Eliminator', 'Rivals', 'Influence boards', houses, weird purple barn things that occasionally pop up on the map. I didn't realise it, but this is essentially an open-world MMO with cars and I just want to focus on campaign, for now anyway. Comparisons with Destiny seem apt.

The ugly

After the aforementioned steam train race, the game paused and a pop up appeared asking me to rate the game if I liked it. When I declined, this was immediately followed by another unskippable advert for more paid DLC with a link at the end.

Yuck.

I really like Forza Horizon, but it ones have a bit of an ADHD, kitchen sink approach. You get the sense that the game feels like it need to throw loads of icons and stuff at you relentless, lest you lose interest or drift away. And it's all done in a "wacky" edgy, irreverent style that means you just automatically zone out when one of the "cool" DJs tells you about a totally awesome new event happening, a few minutes after you've been shown another totally awesome event happening somewhere else. 

I get that this is apparently Horizon's festival vibe and how it's always been, but I'd much rather then did some of it organically. There's no discovery in the world really, bar maybe the roads and billboards, as it's all shoved down your throat. Even the barns aren't on your map until you get the DJ tell you they've caught wind of one. 

It can all be a bit overwhelming, especially when you then unlock all the seasonal stuff at Level 20 too, and that adds more icons and chatter to the game. 

My main experience of Forza Horizon 4 was finding it really easy for the firwt season until for some.reason all of the race I enter now I cannot win or even compete. All of the AI cars hyperspeed off at the start and I can't keep up even vaguely. Also the presentation is embarrassing and filled with unskippable rubbish.

I was fucking loving it until the weird massive increase in difficulty that I don't seem to be able to fix so I'm quite salty.

30 minutes ago, El Spatula said:

My main experience of Forza Horizon 4 was finding it really easy for the firwt season until for some.reason all of the race I enter now I cannot win or even compete. All of the AI cars hyperspeed off at the start and I can't keep up even vaguely. Also the presentation is embarrassing and filled with unskippable rubbish.

I was fucking loving it until the weird massive increase in difficulty that I don't seem to be able to fix so I'm quite salty.

What car are you using. The game does require very specific cars for certain races, unless you are very, very quick. I like that strategy element to the game, having to pick the right car and tune it correctly.

I think it’s worth remembering that when coming to FH4 now (what’s wrong with you), you’ve got 2 years of post launch content on top of everything it launched with. Some of it’s paid DLC with annoying ads, but lots of it is free, too.

There are probably too many icons on the map (I’d suggest you use the map filters or it just feels like noise), but it’s nowhere near as overwhelming if you’ve been dipping in and out since launch, as many of us have.  

So Star Wars Jedi fallen order right, they make a game that looks good, and you start off in a junkyard, fine, get you used to the climbing they copied from every other uncharted raider game and then you have to climb through this junkyard for 3 times longer than any normal person would consider remotely acceptable.

56 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

(I’d suggest you use the map filters or it just feels like noise)

Can you only do this once you've completed a year in the game? I can't find an option to filter the map anywhere. Oddly, sometimes when I look at the map there suddenly any icons at all, then I'll look back a minute later and it's populated again. There's a thing that says press LB for something, but it's greyed out.

8 minutes ago, sir stiff_one said:

So Star Wars Jedi fallen order right, they make a game that looks good, and you start off in a junkyard, fine, get you used to the climbing they copied from every other uncharted raider game and then you have to climb through this junkyard for 3 times longer than any normal person would consider remotely acceptable.

Had the same experience. Saw the positivity here, and installed it immediately when EA arrived on Game Pass. Abandoned the game halfway through the tutorial level on my first attempt, came back to it a few weeks later and made it all the way through and off the planet. But I wasn't having any fun at all, I find the combination of Uncharted with Star Wars really jarring for some reason. After landing in the second area I had to admit I hadn't been paying attention at all to the nonsensical story and the incredibly annoying main protagonist, so I gave up. This isn't the game I'm looking for.

Edit: I'm sure it gets better later on, but unless the main character gets devoured by a Sarlacc in the second area to be replaced with a far less annoying character, I just can't force myself to play any further.