IGNORED

Xbox Game Pass - GUIDE TO BEST DEAL IN FIRST POST

Harsin

Shadow of War is slowly getting its hooks in me - I’m just following the quests mostly because there’s just too much bloody stuff, but the systems are slowly coming into focus. Still don’t know how to dominate orcs and have my own armies though, I guess that’s much later. 

I tried Shadow of War and really wanted to like it after loving Shadow of Mordor but there was just too much bloat to it and I just had to concede I couldn’t be bothered after a good few hours. I keep considering going back to it as I know that Mordor started slowly until you unlocked a load of the combat options, but having done that power fantasy it just seems a slog to get there again.

Yeah I really do think the whole build your army thing needs to be there from the beginning, the whole game is such a mishmash of genres, it starts off a stealth action game then throws in the nemesis system straight away, which itself has layer upon layer of .. stuff, and whilst it is open world and you have a certain amount of freedom, you do need to do the story quests to unlock main abilities that you can’t spend your skill points on.

But, having said all that, and still completely baffled by what I’m doing half the time, it has that something which keeps me returning. I’ve put about 5 hours in now.

1 hour ago, shirubagan said:

Trying to raise the bridge? Yeah, that’s where we kept dying. When we did complete it, the game glitched out and hoofed us all. 

Game looks very good in 4K on the Series X. 

That and the bit in the 4 stage of the mission where you have to start up and defend generators from waves and waves while jetpack-equipped zombie snipers have a pop at you while you wade through waist deep water. It's definitely designed for a team, doable solo but you have to get your approach absolutely spot on. 

It's so bloody fun though, a very video game video game. 

10 minutes ago, Stanley said:

How long before you can dominate war chiefs etc. and am I doing the right thing mainly just following the story quests? 

A long time. They are challenging throughout. Intially at launch it had a horrible loot chest idea where you had to buy keys to unlock them. As a result it was patched out but the game isn't balanced too well. I really loved it but I do also love all things LOTR

I’m gonna install BFII actually as I loved the first one, just playing online multiplayer. Played a bit of the single player story mode  on PS4 but wasn’t that impressed, but then it was never a single player game anyway. 

Ok here’s the big one: where does one start with Destiny 2 on Gamepass? Just imagine I’ve never played the game before (I have but pages ago) where should I begin, is it fine with the content on there and which version should I start with (there are two)? 

23 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

New Arkane stuff is exclusive to PS5 until september 2022 tho

Next Arkane game release date : 1st October 2022.

22 hours ago, Stanley said:

Thanks @JPLplayed Outer Wilds, another great game, gonna give Frostpunk a go.

It's very difficult to find information on Wilds without spoilers but I can really only see 2 ways it can go.

When it resets you after 20 minutes it takes you half the time to get back to where you were, which would be really annoying.

Or

When it resets you after 20 minutes you can get straight back there in which case why the hell did you bother?

What am I missing?

1 hour ago, Stanley said:

Ok here’s the big one: where does one start with Destiny 2 on Gamepass? Just imagine I’ve never played the game before (I have but pages ago) where should I begin, is it fine with the content on there and which version should I start with (there are two)? 

Go in the destiny two thread and have a read. A few new players in the last pages asking similar 

Honestly, I have no clue. 

I played about 80hours of vanilla destiny 2 and was looking forward to playing with the upgrades and expansions but I uninstalled it after 20 mins. 

I couldn't find out where to play the missions or all the other shit going on. Its a mess for returning vanilla players now. 

When you know where you are going in Outer Wilds you can get anywhere pretty fast. 

Then why reset me?  It's like they think the bit people enjoy about other games is waiting for it to load when they die.

Presumably there's a benefit to the whole thing?

Just now, Dudley said:

Then why reset me?  It's like they think the bit people enjoy about other games is waiting for it to load when they die.

Presumably there's a benefit to the whole thing?

Well the whole concept is that things happen at a certain times, like Majora’s Mask and Groundhog Day, so you need to plan your run to do things at certain times in certain places. If it let you just locate to where you want without ever dying just looping over and over it would removed any challenge. Tbh I liked Outer Wilds but I did find it frustrating too sometimes, but I understand why you die, it kind of couldn’t work any other way. 

57 minutes ago, carlospie said:

When does undertale get good?

I heard its one of the best things ever. 

I'm about 2 hours in and i don't know what to make of it. 

2 hours ago, Dudley said:

Next Arkane game release date : 1st October 2022.

It's very difficult to find information on Wilds without spoilers but I can really only see 2 ways it can go.

When it resets you after 20 minutes it takes you half the time to get back to where you were, which would be really annoying.

Or

When it resets you after 20 minutes you can get straight back there in which case why the hell did you bother?

What am I missing?

Time influences the world. There are places impossible to reach in the first 7 minutes, and places that can only be reached during that time. It's like Majora's Mask in that regard, and in the same vein the end of the world is tremendously done, poignant despite it's repetetive nature.

6 minutes ago, Ry said:

I heard its one of the best things ever. 

I'm about 2 hours in and i don't know what to make of it. 

I realise I didn't actually get past the tweeness of it into enjoying it until the end of my first run through. After which I went back and played it again, and then Deltarune. I definitely think it's not an easy sell for cynical old men, despite the retro allusions, but imo something great definitely shines through in the end.

17 minutes ago, therearerules said:

I realise I didn't actually get past the tweeness of it into enjoying it until the end of my first run through. After which I went back and played it again, and then Deltarune. I definitely think it's not an easy sell for cynical old men, despite the retro allusions, but imo something great definitely shines through in the end.

How long is it? I just fought two dogs with axes and was not having a great time with it 

1 hour ago, carlospie said:

When does undertale get good?

I finished it the other day. Spent the whole playthrough waiting for it to turn into the incredible experience I had heard about.

I mean, I guess the music was pretty good. The script was maybe funny once or twice - but felt mostly like Reddit humour. The battle system was definitely a neat twist on the RPG turn-based formula. I dunno. It was fine. Nothing mind blowing.

7 hours ago, deerokus said:

That and the bit in the 4 stage of the mission where you have to start up and defend generators from waves and waves while jetpack-equipped zombie snipers have a pop at you while you wade through waist deep water. It's definitely designed for a team, doable solo but you have to get your approach absolutely spot on. 

It's so bloody fun though, a very video game video game. 

Yes indeed to the last line. 

I hope Strange Brigade comes back to GO as I enjoyed what I played alone, but again it seemed 100% designed for a team. 

12 hours ago, bear said:

I'm not sure if it'll happen but an autumn/winter line up of this, Halo Infinite, Forza Horizon 5 and Starfield would have to be Microsofts strongest PC lineup in a very long time. 

Hook AoE 4 to my veins.

Hopefully they release a console version too.