IGNORED

Xbox Game Pass - GUIDE TO BEST DEAL IN FIRST POST

Harsin

Deleted Zombie Army. Definitely not a game for solo players which I wasn't aware of going in - I assume that you can revive other players if you're playing co-op? Because the checkpoints when you're low on health are brutal and put me in some impossible siutations.

32 minutes ago, Quest said:

Would it be fun for a young kid to mess around with? It caught my daughter's eye a few weeks ago and she keeps asking if it's out. 

It starts off child friendly enough but things are becoming a bit darker in nature. For example I burned down a kids campsite, fed a sheep to a bear, electrocuted people  etc. There’s also plenty of innuendo. 

Has she played Donut County? That is very similar

11 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Can anyone get the Gamepass app to download games? I’ve given up as neither that nor the Xbox app ever, ever work. 

Is your console set up for remote downloading? It needs turning on in the settings. 

Just now, mdn2 said:

Is your console set up for remote downloading? It needs turning on in the settings. 

Yeah it’s all setup and it recognises my console, knows which games I’ve installed and what space is available. 

Rain on Your Parade is bloody brilliant. 

Who would have thought being an asshole cloud could be so much fun. Really charming game. 

Ready to make a thread so non xbox owners can hear about it (is it out on other platforms?) 

5 minutes ago, Ry said:

Rain on Your Parade is bloody brilliant. 

Who would have thought being an asshole cloud could be so much fun. Really charming game. 

Ready to make a thread so non xbox owners can hear about it (is it out on other platforms?) 

Switch, Xbox, PC.

1 hour ago, Stanley said:

Can anyone get the Gamepass app to download games? I’ve given up as neither that nor the Xbox app ever, ever work. 

Yes use it all the time!

Phone OS is Android - Xbox is connected via a wireless connection. I even use the PC at times to trigger a download.

Might be something on your network blocking things? Firewall etc?

17 minutes ago, MattyP said:

Yes use it all the time!

Phone OS is Android - Xbox is connected via a wireless connection. I even use the PC at times to trigger a download.

Might be something on your network blocking things? Firewall etc?

God knows, I’m sure I used to manage fine on my last Xbox, I’ve tried wired and wireless but no joy. I’m on iOS, I don’t know if that’s more problematic, probably me! 

15 hours ago, Paul3704 said:

Don't rain on my parade

13 hours ago, Majora said:

Rain on my Parade

13 hours ago, deerokus said:

Rain on your parade

Make your mind up guys!

(Probable indication of a badly-named game, I'd say)

Been on a bit of a Game Pass kick this week.

Started off with two games where you're exploring spooky locations in space.

Deliver Us the Moon

Despite a really, really dumb premise I started off really liking this, but ended up kinda hating it by the end. It was fine in the early stages where it's a slow paced exploration game with some light puzzling. Then they keep trying to graft on more and more shitty mechanics. Example, apparently ther was a jump button and I had no idea as I'd spent hours where there were no occasions here you needed to even hop and I don't recall any tutorial messages. How do they introduce this mechanic, in a timed section where you suddenly have to do some terrible floaty platforming under pressure. When they suddenly decided to add one of the worst stealth sections I've had the misfortune to play towards the end, I nearly switched it off there and then. Hard to recommend this one.

Observation

This one was a bit frustrating as it comes ever so close to being a classic and misses the mark due to some baffling design decisions. The basic setup is that you're a HAL 9000 type AI on a space station where something mysterious and spooky has gone down. You play the game from the POV of security camera and co trolling drones. I really enjoyed the actual story and it has atmosphere out the wazoo. But I'll give you an example of the type of thing that sours the experience. There's a coupe of occasions where you have to go outside the station to do stuff as a drone. For some reason they decided to give you zero waypoint markers or map, so I spent ages and ages just aimlessly flying around a big space station made of identical looking modules trying to spot a tiny texture that looks a little different. All the while being disorientated by being in the vacuum of space with no up or down. It actively destroys immersion that the bloody AI wouldn't know where things are on it’s own station. Despite stuff like this I'd still say this is very much worth a play.

Ryse: Son of Rome

Woof! This was a real stinker! I felt like a Nicholas Lyndhurst walking through an alley back to the Xbone launch. The start screen was a reminder of that period where MS were making all their games have front ends that looked like Windows 8. There are messages espousing the benefits of using smartglass. It encourages you to buy booster packs for its MP mode, I didn't try that out but somehow I doubt it has a thriving community. I thought the game itself was dreadful, some of clunkiest unresponsive feeling combat I've encountered. Repetitive gameplay and I think I feel more player agency using the programme guide on my Sky box than playing this. The loading times are awful, this was on a Series X SSD so I dread to think what they were like on a launch Xbone. At least it was short. It really made me appreciate the new God of War a lot more. I will say it still looks stunning in places, even though it's now 8 years old. I don't know if the Series X was working some additional magic on it. Nevertheless, avoid!

Carrion

Metroidvania where you basically play The Thing loose in a big base and causing havoc. Haven't long started it, seems fun. Retro pixel art is usually a big turn off for me as it’s so overdone in indie games, but the way your gloopy monster moves around is a joy. We'll see how long I stick with it.

I'm playing Greedfall at the minute - I've had the physical disc for ages but now it's on Gamepass and I don't have to physically get up and put the disc in I'm properly getting stuck into it. It's a typical Eurojank RPG, but I have a real soft spot for those and the world - although too brown - is actually quite pretty in places. 

1 hour ago, Harsin said:

Ryse: Son of Rome

Woof! This was a real stinker! I felt like a Nicholas Lyndhurst walking through an alley back to the Xbone launch. The start screen was a reminder of that period where MS were making all their games have front ends that looked like Windows 8. There are messages espousing the benefits of using smartglass. It encourages you to buy booster packs for its MP mode, I didn't try that out but somehow I doubt it has a thriving community. I thought the game itself was dreadful, some of clunkiest unresponsive feeling combat I've encountered. Repetitive gameplay and I think I feel more player agency using the programme guide on my Sky box than playing this. The loading times are awful, this was on a Series X SSD so I dread to think what they were like on a launch Xbone. At least it was short. It really made me appreciate the new God of War a lot more. I will say it still looks stunning in places, even though it's now 8 years old. I don't know if the Series X was working some additional magic on it. Nevertheless, avoid!

This is a game that would really benefit from a series update, as it never even got a one X update!? and doesn't know how to use the ssd properly.

As playing it on a more modern PC, its really quite good stupid fun when you can play it with high res and high FPS, it just works better and is much more responsive, and still looks great! and it loads quickly on an nvme drive.