Xbox Game Pass - GUIDE TO BEST DEAL IN FIRST POST

Harsin

23 minutes ago, rgraves said:

I'm looking forward to Dark Alliance as well - but can't really put my finger on why - I just like the non-serious vibe of the trailers.

Feels like an rllmuk alliance might possibly be in the offing? 😂

I'm up for multiplayer on it as well, will be the first time I've played no for a long while as well. So I'm up for some rllmuk dungeon and dragons fun. 

1 hour ago, Stanley said:

Yeah I’m looking forward to Dark Alliance, is that a new release? 

1 hour ago, deerokus said:

Yeah, brand new. It looks really ropey in previews to be honest but worth a try, that's the brilliant thing a out game pass. 

28 minutes ago, cassidy said:

I'm up for multiplayer on it as well, will be the first time I've played no for a long while as well. So I'm up for some rllmuk dungeon and dragons fun. 

So, if you haven't already, feel free to add me : rxgraves

40 minutes ago, cassidy said:

Feel free to add me - GTAG: RYAN WHITELAW. 

Theres a ton of co-op stuff i would like to try but i have no pals :(

1 hour ago, 5R7 said:

It looks like its PC only, as for there to be a cloud version, there would need to be an xbox console version to stream.

I fully expect a console version to come along 6 months to a year later.

Was looking forward to Dark Alliance as my wife and I loved the original 1&2 on the OG Xbox, however this isn’t going to have couch coop at launch. The devs have said it is to be included with the first update so hopefully that comes to pass.

2 minutes ago, cassidy said:

@Ry @rgraves your both on my friends list already.  So this is defo doable on Tuesday. 

feel free to add me obviously anyone who isn't on my friends list. It's CassidyUK. 

Im not sure i do have you. Will need to doule check. 

I've never been interested in the idea of Gamepass in the past, I like to collect thing on physical media and I'm worried that having access to endless amounts of games means that you just end up dipping in and out and never really going into anything.... but from the E3 presentation and the fact that almost everything said Gamepass day 1.... it's had me thinking.

So do you eventually get used to all the games and stop downloading them to try stuff out for 5 minutes at a time?  Do you still have the time/inclination to play other games on other consoles etc.  I haven't even had live for about 10 years now.  What's the sitch?

There's no doubt that to begin with you download loads of stuff like a kid in a sweetie shop, but that pretty quickly dies down and you just get to enjoying stuff you like and not wasting time on stuff you don't simply because you've paid for it. I've certainly found I'm trying more stuff than I otherwise would have, and when something captures me I'm sticking with it. It's made me much more open to trying things, and I've discovered some real gems I'd have totally missed otherwise.

It's mind-blowing in terms of value already, and with the content they have coming along...

You abandon more things because you try more things, especially when you first join because of the giant back catalogue you've just been handed.

But after that things come on and go off at a sensible rate so no.

I don't think I'm perceiving Mass Effect Legendary (which I bought) differently to the game before it, Dishonored, which I GPed.

No difference in perception here. I'm trying more games, completing more games and still making purchases now and then as well. 

However I have not switched on my PS4 Pro for months now and neither the switch. 

For me, it's at its best during lulls: it doesn't keep me away from other games/machines when said games are ones I really want to play, but when we hit fallow periods where there's nothing I'm hugely excited for outside of GP, then I usually end up trying things I'm slightly interested in on GP, rather than doing what I used to and buying something on a whim as filler. It definitely saved me from buying e.g. Sackboy Adventure, and instead I ended up being pleasantly surprised by the wonderful Monster Train.

But then, I'm someone who generally wants to play a new game most every week, so it's a good fit for me in that respect; for people who prefer to just focus on one game at a time for months on end, it's likely to be a little less suited.

43 minutes ago, CurryKitten said:

I've never been interested in the idea of Gamepass in the past, I like to collect thing on physical media and I'm worried that having access to endless amounts of games means that you just end up dipping in and out and never really going into anything.... but from the E3 presentation and the fact that almost everything said Gamepass day 1.... it's had me thinking.

So do you eventually get used to all the games and stop downloading them to try stuff out for 5 minutes at a time?  Do you still have the time/inclination to play other games on other consoles etc.  I haven't even had live for about 10 years now.  What's the sitch?

I can only speak for myself but I've definitely not found myself endlessly dipping but never properly playing. I've only had the Xbox & Game Pass since November and by my reckoning I've completed 16 games on it so far, including some pretty hefty ones like Dragon Quest XI, Final Fantasy XII and Nier Automata (twice! Or ten times if you count each of the five endings as a single completion!)

But what I have done is tried out lots of games that I'd never buy. A lot of these I bounce off straight away, some seem decent and I stick with them for a while but gradually lose interest, and some, like the 16 so far, I really get into and play to the end (or until I feel like I've rinsed it if it doesn't have a defined end point). Meanwhile there are still hundreds of games that I want to try eventually but haven't got round to yet. If they disappear from Game Pass before I get to them, well I obviously wasn't that bothered about playing them, and I've lost nothing.

On the other consoles front, since getting the Xbox my Switch has been a Ring Fit player and nothing else. I'm sure I'll play something else on it eventually, but it will have to be pretty special to get me to buy it compared to all the freebies (I know they're not actually freebies) I've got on Game Pass.

I download the ten games I'm most interested in playing, then just pick whichever takes my fancy. If I finish one, another is added to the menu.

I initially went mad and downloaded everything but that didn't do me any good. Spent more time staring at the icons than playing them, so limiting it to ten seemed to work.

3 hours ago, CurryKitten said:

Honestly, at first its overwhelming, but if you ever feel you have too many and don't know what to play just listen to the posters here. Generally the recommendations are good, and even if not they're almost always interesting. I completed Nier Automata, and whilst I thought it didn't live up to the hype, I'm glad I did. And I'm glad I did it for free. I'm also glad I could play Forza Horizon, Destiny, Titanfall 2 and others, until I'd had my fill, without feeling obliged to complete them.

If you're ever in doubt of what GP game to play, someone in here will undoubtably suggest something that's interesting and essentially free.

3 hours ago, CurryKitten said:

it doesn’t really stop me buying stuff elsewhere, but it does mean I’m less likely to buy things for the hell of it; and more likely to play marginal multiplayer games on Xbox because my friends will also have this weeks game.

I subbed last year when I got my PC and came to it with a bit of suspicion (bit of PlayStation blinkering perhaps) but it’s won me over. A really great selection of games, and although I did what others here did at first, downloaded a bunch of things and gave them each five minutes, I’ve settled in to it and played several games through to completion or at least until I’d extracted what I wanted from them. It’s also made it a LOT easier to ditch games I’m not finding that interesting whereas before I might grind along for a few days/weeks trying to get value out of my spend. 

I probably now just think Sony should probably follow a similar model - I love the Sony Studios output and would like a PS5 some time, but GP has spoiled me - £70 is nine months of Gamepass on PC. I’m quite happy to miss those games for now on that basis. 

13 minutes ago, neoELITE said:

I had a go at Doom. It was black and red. I couldn't see a thing. Is it supposed to be like that? It's basically unplayable. 

Did you play the Virtual Boy port? 

16 minutes ago, neoELITE said:

I had a go at Doom. It was black and red. I couldn't see a thing. Is it supposed to be like that? It's basically unplayable. 

Which Doom? The original or 2016?

The main colour pallet of 2016 is shades of brown really (one huge thing Eternal has over it) I certainly wouldn’t describe it as black and red or hard to see where you are going….

4 minutes ago, dreamylittledream said:

Which Doom? The original or 2016?

The main colour pallet of 2016 is shades of brown really (one huge thing Eternal has over it) I certainly wouldn’t describe it as black and red or hard to see where you are going….

2016. I think it's broken somehow. It is literally jet black on my TV apart from the odd red bit. The download must be corrupt. 

I am getting more from GP now I have access to xCloud on PC.

I don't really get a chance to play on the TV as much these days so being able to load up a game in the browser and carry on is brilliant. Works great for the likes of MLB.

• Harsin changed the title to Xbox Game Pass - GUIDE TO BEST DEAL IN FIRST POST