Xbox Game Pass - GUIDE TO BEST DEAL IN FIRST POST

Harsin

On 25/07/2021 at 01:22, Mr. Gerbik said:

That's how I remember it. Microsoft was still the new kid on the block, the wannabe. The makers of Office and Windows wanting to make a console. Ridiculous. And even though Halo blew everyone's socks off, Blinx was still in that early phase that made people look at its by numbers, uninspired, and try hard character design that it became a way to laugh at try hard Microsoft.

Nowadays we have Knack, from the makers of the Walkman.

The other big thing with Blinx (at the time) was that Microsoft claimed that the whole time reversal thing was only possible because the OG Xbox had a hard drive and could grab that much data from it, something (they claimed) you couldn’t do without a hard drive.

Sands of Time rather proved them wrong on that score.

On 24/07/2021 at 16:22, Mr. Gerbik said:

That's how I remember it. Microsoft was still the new kid on the block, the wannabe. The makers of Office and Windows wanting to make a console. Ridiculous. And even though Halo blew everyone's socks off, Blinx was still in that early phase that made people look at its by numbers, uninspired, and try hard character design that it became a way to laugh at try hard Microsoft.

Nowadays we have Knack, from the makers of the Walkman.

This was literally why I chose to buy a Sega Saturn over the PlayStation back in 1996, because Sony making a console?

Yuck! That sounds like it’ll be as bad as the Philips CD-I ! 

2 hours ago, loathsomeleopard said:

The other big thing with Blinx (at the time) was that Microsoft claimed that the whole time reversal thing was only possible because the OG Xbox had a hard drive and could grab that much data from it, something (they claimed) you couldn’t do without a hard drive.

Sands of Time rather proved them wrong on that score.

That is actually somewhat unfair…in Blinx you could rewind the entire level, maybe 10 minutes of play. That required a hard drive.

SoT allowed you to rewind about the last 30 seconds (back to the point prior to

you leaping the wrong way off a column). 

Blinx did very little with the concept but it did need a hard drive to execute it.

9 hours ago, Kevvy Metal said:

This was literally why I chose to buy a Sega Saturn over the PlayStation back in 1996, because Sony making a console?

Yuck! That sounds like it’ll be as bad as the Philips CD-I ! 

Yeah, it's easy to forget because PlayStation is as synonymous with gaming as Nintendo - but back then we were all having a good laugh at the idea of electronics company Sony making a console. Sony! *snortlol*

Then people saw Ridge Racer and Toshinden running on it and we all know what happened. 

The Xbox I was even more cynical about. Fucking Microsoft? A Billy Gates Box? No fucking way. Then a friend came over with an Xbox, a copy of Halo, and two controllers. I didn't get any sleep that night and I bought an Xbox the next day.

To be fair, go back another 15 years and it's "A playing card company making a machine for a dead market", at least as far as the Americans were concerned.

The Playstation of course was not Sony's first games console. Technically not even their 2nd.

57 minutes ago, Dudley said:

To be fair, go back another 15 years and it's "A playing card company making a machine for a dead market", at least as far as the Americans were concerned.

How old are you :blink:

10 minutes ago, Dudley said:

The Playstation of course was not Sony's first games console. Technically not even their 2nd.

Well technically it was, wasn’t it? What other games consoles did they make before that? 

What’s the best deal for a gamepass sub these days, does anyone know?

I’ve had it before but cancelled at the beginning of the year so can’t do the £1 thing.

5 minutes ago, Strafe said:

What’s the best deal for a gamepass sub these days, does anyone know?

I’ve had it before but cancelled at the beginning of the year so can’t do the £1 thing.

If your Live sub has lapsed you can stack three years of Gold and then pay £10.99 to convert it all into GPU. Details in the first post :) 

54 minutes ago, Dudley said:

….which is?…. 
Not that SNES thing I hope! That’s a prototype that didn’t even come out! 

1 minute ago, Kevvy Metal said:

….which is?…. 
Not that SNES thing I hope! That’s a prototype that didn’t even come out! 

The Nintendo Play Station is the "theoretically 2nd" one.

But they made a portable CDi before that under the name "Inteligent Discman"

image.png.da040f50a9930e2f5b9ef15f68476ee4.png

image.thumb.png.fb04c87c3c3ff06e91475d1f6d350257.png

1 hour ago, Dudley said:

The Nintendo Play Station is the "theoretically 2nd" one.

But they made a portable CDi before that under the name "Inteligent Discman"

image.png.da040f50a9930e2f5b9ef15f68476ee4.png

image.thumb.png.fb04c87c3c3ff06e91475d1f6d350257.png

I never knew about a portable cdi, but it’s a bit like saying Panasonic made a games console with the Panasonic Q, when it’s really a Game Cube (yeah I know they made the 3DO too). 

I think it’s fair and more accurate to say PlayStation is Sony’s first real foray as a console manufacturer and platform holder. 

I've had bit of a go with Last Stop. I've done two characters of the first chapter and quite enjoyed the story so far.

Could do with animation that's a bit better. It looks like Thunderbirds sometimes. The variety of the backdrops is nice though. It feels like parts of London, even with the bare poly style.

4 minutes ago, monkeydog said:

I've had bit of a go with Last Stop. I've done two characters of the first chapter and quite enjoyed the story so far.

Could do with animation that's a bit better. It looks like Thunderbirds sometimes. The variety of the backdrops is nice though. It feels like parts of London, even with the bare poly style.

I'm loving the art style with regards the locations. I'd love them to make an more open world game in that same style.

I finished off Last Stop today and would recommend it. It’s very linear and the dialogue options really don’t impact anything but the stories are really intriguing, it has great music and  voice acting. Glad I gave it a go. 

I've bought GTA V for PS3, X360, PC and the remaster on PS4, I was let down by the game on Series X when I tried it a few weeks ago as it runs just like the PS4 version so I'm not really sad it's leaving Game Pass as I can't stand playing these games with 30 fps anymore. If the promised "next gen" update being released in november is nothing but a 4k60fps upgrade I'm not going to bother getting it again, the milking of this game is impressive but I feel like I'm pretty much done with it. 

Been absolutely loving Atomicrops. It was kicking my ass and feeling really messy for quite a while but I wanted to get at least one achievement from it. It's really clicked now and the ramp up in the progress you make and damage etc is huge and really satisfying. 

It gets a lot easier once you unlock the second character for getting past summer as the gun doesn't usually break at the end of the day with them. 

3 hours ago, Rayn said:

I've bought GTA V for PS3, X360, PC and the remaster on PS4, I was let down by the game on Series X when I tried it a few weeks ago as it runs just like the PS4 version so I'm not really sad it's leaving Game Pass as I can't stand playing these games with 30 fps anymore. If the promised "next gen" update being released in november is nothing but a 4k60fps upgrade I'm not going to bother getting it again, the milking of this game is impressive but I feel like I'm pretty much done with it. 

We found the person who keeps it in the chart! 

1 hour ago, Marzipan Travolta said:

Been absolutely loving Atomicrops. It was kicking my ass and feeling really messy for quite a while but I wanted to get at least one achievement from it. It's really clicked now and the ramp up in the progress you make and damage etc is huge and really satisfying. 

It gets a lot easier once you unlock the second character for getting past summer as the gun doesn't usually break at the end of the day with them. 

I've been enjoying it too - have completed year 1 twice now. Onto year two!

1 hour ago, bradigor said:

I can't really say anything due to NDA, but might I suggest being ready for The Ascent. 

oh yeah, should probably pre download that! ta!

• Harsin changed the title to Xbox Game Pass - GUIDE TO BEST DEAL IN FIRST POST