Xbox Game Pass - GUIDE TO BEST DEAL IN FIRST POST

Harsin

12 minutes ago, Mallet said:

Does anyone use the gamepass app on android? 

For some reason it refuses to open if I am connected to a WiFi network, doesn't seem to matter if it is my home network or at work. I have to connect to the mobile data to get it to open. 

Yes. Works for me on WiFi at home.

2 hours ago, Mallet said:

Does anyone use the gamepass app on android? 

For some reason it refuses to open if I am connected to a WiFi network, doesn't seem to matter if it is my home network or at work. I have to connect to the mobile data to get it to open. 

No problems via WiFi on my Android phone either

44 minutes ago, Mallet said:

I read on a reddit post, the source of all truth, that the gamepass app requires 5ghz WiFi. I wonder if that is why, the xbox app works fine. 

I’d be fascinated to know if this proves to be the case. I wouldn’t have thought it possible for an app to be aware of/sensitive to the medium over which it’s communicating. That would fundamentally contradict the way networks are designed. 

58 minutes ago, Mallet said:

I read on a reddit post, the source of all truth, that the gamepass app requires 5ghz WiFi. I wonder if that is why, the xbox app works fine. 

I can confirm this. I can only connect through my 5ghz WiFi channel. 

1 hour ago, Mallet said:

Requires? I don't think so. Recommended? Sure. I don't know if that wifi information is exposed to apps, but I vaguely recall there's a signal strength warning that pops up during xCloud streaming if you're on 2.4ghz. Am I imagining that? I'd have to turn off 5ghz to check.

For what it's worth, I was having loads of issues on my old router where 2.4ghz would effectively become unusable due to The Great WiFi Signal Strength War of My Street. Getting a Mesh has tipped me ahead in that battle, though.

OK, so I was poking around in the WifiMan app (by Ubiquiti, no need to own their kit to use it) and even though I have a shared SSID, because it's a mesh, it knew which AP I was connected to and the connection type (WiFi 5, as they appear to be simplifying it to). That said, it needs the location permission to do that sort of active scanning, and the Game Pass app doesn't even ask for that. Maybe the OS exposes some basic elements of the connection to any app that asks.

Complete aside, but they've moved quests from the Console tab of the home screen to the screen under your Xbox avatar. Or maybe they were always also in the second place, but it's much easier to find them now.

This came up a while ago, and no xCloud doesn't require 5GHz WiFi. I can confirm this as my home wifi 2.4 and 5GHz networks can't be split (with the BT router I'm using at least), and more than once I've found myself playing with poor performance, checked and found my phone's connected to the 2.4GHz connection.

It might require 5GHz for decent performance, but it certainly doesn't require it to work.

My daughter downloaded Surgeon Sim 2 on her Series S last night… Jesus that’s one awkward to control game!

I download the PC version today and mouse & keys really helps. With a controller it’s rage-inducing 😆

21 minutes ago, StoooTube said:

My daughter downloaded Surgeon Sim 2 on her Series S last night… Jesus that’s one awkward to control game!

I download the PC version today and mouse & keys really helps. With a controller it’s rage-inducing 😆

I lasted approx 3 mins, was horrific

I just got a new laptop, that's going to be taken over by FM isn't it?

Haven't played in a few years as the console versions are far too finicky and cut down, even on the series X it's clearly a clunky ipad port..

41 minutes ago, 5R7 said:

hmm...well it may save buying it, as along as i can chuck my files in lol

You'll need to if you want to play as Man United this year 

49 minutes ago, 5R7 said:

tbf, if you want actual logos, you have to add em in anyway

First thing I do. 

Shame we are losing more teams official names too though

14 hours ago, 5R7 said:

hmm...well it may save buying it, as along as i can chuck my files in lol

Current game is on game pass. 

The console version.... Fuck... It's an absolute mess to control using a pad. I tried and tried but it's an absolute shambles. Has to be seen to be believed. 

38 minutes ago, Rayn said:

I always thought that was the entire premise of the game, really shitt controls for hilarious results.

Yup.  I don't get why people would buy it. Looks a fucking nightmare just from the trailers.

1 hour ago, Rayn said:

I always thought that was the entire premise of the game, really shitt controls for hilarious results.

We talking about the same game? We're talking football manager, not surgeon sim! Haha.

On pc it's one mouse button for everything. The console version is basically the iPad version crudely mapped onto a pad.

Question: I'm at my parent's place and playing Rocket League on XSS via Game Pass. At home I play it on my PC via Steam. Obviously both times signed into my Epic account. The stats and progress are the same - but why is my user name different when playing it on XSS? It's the Microsoft user name. Doesn't Epic sync user names?

• Harsin changed the title to Xbox Game Pass - GUIDE TO BEST DEAL IN FIRST POST