Xbox Game Pass - GUIDE TO BEST DEAL IN FIRST POST

Harsin

4 hours ago, Rayn said:

About 20 minutes in on The Artful Escape and I’m loving everything about it so far. Now I’m just praying it will be as excellent as I hope it is.

Indeed, I’m only half an hour or so in but already it is one of the most beautiful things I’ve ever seen. 

2 hours ago, deerokus said:

We talking about the same game? We're talking football manager, not surgeon sim! Haha.

On pc it's one mouse button for everything. The console version is basically the iPad version crudely mapped onto a pad.

My bad :lol: 

Anyone given Snow Runner a go? It's a weird change of pace from your usual driving game, or even sim, but I find I'm strangely enjoying it. I like big vehicles anyway and as ATS and ETS1/2 don't appear to be coming to consoles I thought I'd give it a whirl. You're going to be stuck, a lot obviously. I'm not even sure I've hit 30mph yet, my main truck is such a crappy old GMC thing that I can barely read the dial. But wowzers, love the in-truck view. Being able to see the hands move on the wheel is a good mental aid to knowing what the wheels are actually doing, because lock to lock takes more turns than you're used to on arcade/racing games.

I'll go see if we have a thread, but for anyone playing - I'm finding Alaska (second area, after starting out in Michigan) really bloody hard. You've got a big RWD flatbed and I've pretty much driven everywhere I can that doesn't have some sort of blocker. I haven't quite got enough money to get a little nimble pickup truck, so I was wondering whether I could go back to Michigan and start working on contracts there to raise some cash. Can't figure out how to switch back, though.

I should have given Mud Runner a proper go back when it was on GP. I only installed it for my son, watched him get annoyed that it was a sim and not "big trucks drifting in mud" game that he was expecting and we didn't try it again.

32 minutes ago, Nosejam said:

Indeed, I’m only half an hour or so in but already it is one of the most beautiful things I’ve ever seen. 

My session was supposed to be a quick look, max half an hour. Ended up playing for a few hours straight. I think I’m on the home stretch now and if the game can finish off on a high it might end up with a perfect score for me. 
This is basically Journey - The SciFi Space Opera edition, I’ve had goosebumps during a lot of the set pieces and some of the jokes are actually hilarious. 
This came out of nowhere for me and it’s hands down the best game I’ve played all year.

12 minutes ago, TehStu said:

Anyone given Snow Runner a go? It's a weird change of pace from your usual driving game, or even sim, but I find I'm strangely enjoying it. I like big vehicles anyway and as ATS and ETS1/2 don't appear to be coming to consoles I thought I'd give it a whirl. You're going to be stuck, a lot obviously. I'm not even sure I've hit 30mph yet, my main truck is such a crappy old GMC thing that I can barely read the dial. But wowzers, love the in-truck view. Being able to see the hands move on the wheel is a good mental aid to knowing what the wheels are actually doing, because lock to lock takes more turns than you're used to on arcade/racing games.

I'll go see if we have a thread, but for anyone playing - I'm finding Alaska (second area, after starting out in Michigan) really bloody hard. You've got a big RWD flatbed and I've pretty much driven everywhere I can that doesn't have some sort of blocker. I haven't quite got enough money to get a little nimble pickup truck, so I was wondering whether I could go back to Michigan and start working on contracts there to raise some cash. Can't figure out how to switch back, though.

I should have given Mud Runner a proper go back when it was on GP. I only installed it for my son, watched him get annoyed that it was a sim and not "big trucks drifting in mud" game that he was expecting and we didn't try it again.

19 minutes ago, Rayn said:

My session was supposed to be a quick look, max half an hour. Ended up playing for a few hours straight. I think I’m on the home stretch now and if the game can finish off on a high it might end up with a perfect score for me. 
This is basically Journey - The SciFi Space Opera edition, I’ve had goosebumps during a lot of the set pieces and some of the jokes are actually hilarious. 
This came out of nowhere for me and it’s hands down the best game I’ve played all year.

It looks nice but it plays like my first platform game interspersed with simon pattern puzzles. Does it expand into more than this or is it the whole arty psychedelia?  Maybe I'm spoiled by the section in Psychonauts 2 or looking for more game?

1 hour ago, TehStu said:

I hated it. I've never played a game that actively fought you to have fun like Snowrunner does.

@TehStu there's a page or two in this thread when it first hit game pass, it's safe to say the majority here were not happy with it and moosegrinder is representative! I see you've found the actual thread where there are at least one or two masochists like me that enjoy the game.

1 hour ago, Mortis said:

It looks nice but it plays like my first platform game interspersed with simon pattern puzzles. Does it expand into more than this or is it the whole arty psychedelia?  Maybe I'm spoiled by the section in Psychonauts 2 or looking for more game?

It’s more like a glorified walking sim than an actual game. If you’re looking for a challenge or hand to eye coordination mechanics, this ain’t a title for you.

1 hour ago, TehStu said:

Snowrunner is much better than mudrunner, more of a game where mudrunner was sort of just a janky physics sandbox.

I personally love snowrunner but when it hit game pass a lot of people hated it. You have to know what you're getting into.

39 minutes ago, Mortis said:

Fair enough - it looks lovely and I’ll play it to the end but it’s the definition of style over substance for me so far. 

I think the title gives the game away.

Art full escape.

I'm just in love with it and letting it wash over me.  In fact I can't think of a game I've ever just left the title screen on just to listen to the amazing song. 

This is just my opinion and it isn't hyperbole on my part. 

But I'm genuinely more excited about humble games getting day 1 releases on Gamepass than I am by anything shown at the Sony conference. 

21 hours ago, Mortis said:

its a walking sim. It’s a lovely walking sim, and visually so different from anything else I’ve played in years.

On 10/09/2021 at 14:03, Nosejam said:

Yeah, I mean aside from the astonishing imagination that has gone into it, the graphics are jaw dropping at times - the incredible reflections, the lighting, the backgrounds - I'm not sure I've seen anything that looks like this before. Definitely enjoying it, and it deserves all the praise,  I wish in parts the actual game elements were fleshed out a little more - perhaps a bit more of a 'Limbo-esque' puzzler,  but with these aesthetics. Still, a massively enjoyable surprise.

2 hours ago, carlospie said:

The artful escape is one of the greatest games iv ever played. The style is lovely, visually it's like nothing I have ever seen, the music is out of this world. What a pleasant surprise when I stuck it on this afternoon. 

Well, you’ve certainly piqued my interest 

On 09/09/2021 at 16:43, Nosejam said:

I lasted approx 3 mins, was horrific

Thank christ - I thought I’d turned old when I couldn’t control the bloody thing. I did manage the first leg transplant but I rage quit when they wanted me to use the bonesaw.

1 hour ago, sandman said:

Well, you’ve certainly piqued my interest 

It's sublime. Initially I thought this is pretty cool looking then when it got going I was say jamming away loving it. Really shows the strength of gamepass, I never would have even looked twice at this. 

2 hours ago, multi said:

Not since Tekken 2 have I mashed the X button so much.

The Artful Escape is an absolute joy. It's staggering how good and how different this is to my tiny, now blown, mind

I just downloaded this based on the intriguing comments here.   I've just played for almost 2 hours straight, in awe at the visual and audio landscape.  Spectacular.  

I reminds me of Bill and Ted *air guitar*  :wub:

• Harsin changed the title to Xbox Game Pass - GUIDE TO BEST DEAL IN FIRST POST