IGNORED

Xbox Game Pass - GUIDE TO BEST DEAL IN FIRST POST

Harsin

2 hours ago, Darren said:

If he’s not converted the gold yet, tell him to hang on until his £1 deal expires in a month’s time (he’ll have to cancel auto renew if he hasn’t already) and as soon as it’s expired he can convert it then for £10.99 instead.

Of course, if he has already converted it… you just can’t help some people!

man, I’ve given him about 5 variations of the same advice he’s still gonna F it up. £11.99 a month it is then

1 hour ago, mikeyl said:

man, I’ve given him about 5 variations of the same advice he’s still gonna F it up. £11.99 a month it is then

We all know someone like that in real life I think :) Best to let it go and let them happily stumble through things like that instead of frustrating both them and yourself

I really wish they were more transparent about how long games are going to be on gamepass for.  The 'leaving soon' list is suddenly quite long with a few things I'd like to try, but no dates that i can see, so no idea as to how soon is 'soon'.  Rumour seems to be end of the month, but that's not very long given there's 9 games on the new list.

By contrast, when something joins PS Now, it's clear whether it's a permanent addition, or whether it's timed, and if it is then from the day it joins you know when it's going to leave.  It's a quality of life thing that I'd really like to see MS adopt from Sony (there's not many of those right now).  But the transparency really helps you plan how you use a subscription service.

At the very least, the warnings should be at least a month if not three.

14 minutes ago, rgraves said:

Once they are on the 'leaving soon' list, I think it means they are going 'within the next two weeks' - so end of the month would make sense.

Usually the case.... But agree it should be a definitive date. To be fair they do stay on a fair bit though usually in most cases six months onwards.... For example Knights and Bikes has been on for around a year - I remember playing that through on the X's launch last year.

24 minutes ago, rgraves said:

Once they are on the 'leaving soon' list, I think it means they are going 'within the next two weeks' - so end of the month would make sense.

I'm almost certain that it used to be a month's head's up. 

As much as Gamepass is cool, this is my slight friction with it. I'm a player who tends to have just a couple of games on the go and plays them to completion... so there's been quite a few periods where I'm not really playing anything on gamepass even though there's lots I do want to play. It's time that's the premium and I absolutely have less fun having multiple games on the go and dipping in and out and not wrapping them up. 

I've always got an eye on that "Leaving soon" section, in case something I want to play is leaving. It's even got me coughing up to buy certain things that are leaving soon... like The Messenger. 

I just finished the whole Mass Effect trilogy on XsX and it was properly glorious... then followed by Horizon: Zero Dawn and Metroid Dread. Something on Gamepass will probably be next. 

I did play through 12 Minutes and really enjoyed it, even if I seem to be one of the few. 

Do any subscriber services state up front how long something is on for? Netflix and Amazon Prime don't tell you until programs are due to leave (though they both give more notice.) Why is that?

It is an irritation, for sure. I downloaded Dragon Quest XI the other day but then saw it came onto Game Pass last December so haven't bothered putting any time into it, as I guess it will be leaving around its year anniversary, as many games do. It may not, but I don't want to be barely through it before it leaves and have a save file inaccessible if I don't want to pay the Game Pass price to buy the game - I might just as well wait for it to appear cheaply on Steam.

18 minutes ago, Gabe said:

Do any subscriber services state up front how long something is on for? Netflix and Amazon Prime don't tell you until programs are due to leave (though they both give more notice.) Why is that?

It is an irritation, for sure. I downloaded Dragon Quest XI the other day but then saw it came onto Game Pass last December so haven't bothered putting any time into it, as I guess it will be leaving around its year anniversary, as many games do. It may not, but I don't want to be barely through it before it leaves and have a save file inaccessible if I don't want to pay the Game Pass price to buy the game - I might just as well wait for it to appear cheaply on Steam.

Well guess its how MS will make money I guess... especially on the longer games. I tend to use GP mainly for games that will take between 8-12 hours to complete. Never touch the longer games as I know I won't put much time into them so won't finish them. Worth treating GP as a game trial if there is anything that will take a significant amount of time to complete. 

1 hour ago, Gabe said:

My guess is that knowing when a show is going to leave doesn't bring in any new subscribers, so there's no will to implement it. 

Into the Pit is supposed to be great, so I'll give the demo on Steam a blast to see if it's something I can be arsed to download.

Outriders on PC should be good for the co-op gang, half of the group doesn't have x-boxes so we've held off since the demo.

29 minutes ago, Siri said:

Into the Pit is supposed to be great, so I'll give the demo on Steam a blast to see if it's something I can be arsed to download.

Outriders on PC should be good for the co-op gang, half of the group doesn't have x-boxes so we've held off since the demo.

And the best thing is it'll be patched up the wazzoo so you can just enjoy it and not grind your teeth into bloody stumps.

Riverbond was fun to play with my daughter.  Echo Generation looks very different but definitely checking that out.

I tried playing Riftbreaker last night, thinking hero centric RTS might be fun.   The voiceover put me off so much I stop playing.  

I haven't had a Microsoft console since selling my 360 in about 2013 so my only experience of Game Pass has been for brief periods on PC. I kind of assumed that if something wasn't on there day one that it probably wouldn't be for a while so at least I've learned a valuable lesson :)

4 hours ago, Gabe said:

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2021/10/19/coming-soon-xbox-game-pass-mid-october-update-2021/

If you scroll down on there noticed it gives you a list of what is leaving and when. I think there is an assumption by MS that prople  know that things usually leave at the the end of the month when they state "leaving soon"!

Anyhow good to know that effectively "leaving soon" = last day of the current month...

18 minutes ago, MattyP said:

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2021/10/19/coming-soon-xbox-game-pass-mid-october-update-2021/

If you scroll down on there noticed it gives you a list of what is leaving and when. I think there is an assumption by MS that prople  know that things usually leave at the the end of the month when they state "leaving soon"!

Anyhow good to know that effectively "leaving soon" = last day of the current month...

Yeah, I'm aware of that, but I still think it is too short notice to be useful. Origin is quite good here (unless they changed it when partnering with Game Pass) in that you got more than 100 days notice (it would give you the countdown, it may have been 120 days?) That's much more useful than a couple of weeks.