Xbox Game Pass - GUIDE TO BEST DEAL IN FIRST POST

Harsin

7 minutes ago, ZOK said:

Thanks all! It’s given me a lot to think about.  I am not desperate to get one as it is mind you, it’s only because I saw the 120hz thing I thought it was worth a look.

Series S does 120hz, is cheaper and an amazing bit of kit kind of comes down to ssd storage and resolution (and availability and £200)

im sure I read about people with X1X on AA getting really good “upgrade deals” I’ll need to go look 

25 minutes ago, ZOK said:

It doesn’t do 4K though does it? I also need that if I’m going to get a console - if the S is 4K as well then that’s also worth me looking at.

Technically it can do 4K although the framerates would suffer. X is the one to go for if you have to have 4K - although even then you are unlikely to get native 4K @ 60fps never mind 120fps! Usually things either have dynamic resolutions or are upscaled from a lower resolution (very well too!).

Wether 4K would actually make much difference to your gaming experience is another question and dependent on your setup. It will look a bit crisper close up but from a distance?

Personally I grow tied of the resolutions and framerate debates. Console topics feel like PC topics these days. My favourite game so far this generation has been Mario Odyssey on the Switch. Couldn't even tell you what resolution or framerate that had on it but its the standout game for me so far on the new hardware. It was superb fun and very inventive.

These days ever more I'm just focussing on the games. :)

16 minutes ago, ZOK said:

It doesn’t do 4K though does it? I also need that if I’m going to get a console - if the S is 4K as well then that’s also worth me looking at.

Not as standard, but it does run some games at 4K (like Hades)

Not sure if they updated the UI to run at 4K like the Series X either.

3 minutes ago, taurusnipple said:

The buy x amount of Live and convert to Gamepass for a $1 still going on? Mine expired on Tuesday so I got a cheap 6 month gold but it won’t let me convert....

The £1 offer is only for new subscribers. If you have been subscribed previously, you'll have to purchase a normal month. The conversion works as usual, so you can convert up to three years but it costs £10.99 instead. Which is still an incredible bargain.

5 hours ago, MattyP said:

Technically it can do 4K although the framerates would suffer. X is the one to go for if you have to have 4K - although even then you are unlikely to get native 4K @ 60fps never mind 120fps! Usually things either have dynamic resolutions or are upscaled from a lower resolution (very well too!).

Wether 4K would actually make much difference to your gaming experience is another question and dependent on your setup. It will look a bit crisper close up but from a distance?

Personally I grow tied of the resolutions and framerate debates. Console topics feel like PC topics these days. My favourite game so far this generation has been Mario Odyssey on the Switch. Couldn't even tell you what resolution or framerate that had on it but its the standout game for me so far on the new hardware. It was superb fun and very inventive.

These days ever more I'm just focussing on the games. :)

I’m playing between Switch and Stadia on an LG CX, Stadia looks amazing and Switch looks (by comparison) a bit miserable.

That doesn’t mean Switch games don’t also look great on that set up, but I’m not going to be shelling out any money for another console that can’t take full advantage of it.

21 minutes ago, ZOK said:

I’m playing between Switch and Stadia on an LG CX, Stadia looks amazing and Switch looks (by comparison) a bit miserable.

That doesn’t mean Switch games don’t also look great on that set up, but I’m not going to be shelling out any money for another console that can’t take full advantage of it.

Deffo a Series X then.

Hoping you helpful lot can break this down for me in the simplest of terms. So my game pass ultimate is about to expire in the next couple days, but I’m wondering if I can still take advantage of the gold to game pass conversion/stacking for £1 when I renew? 

Because I used that method originally, am I now exempt from using it again. Is it a one time per account situation? 

• Harsin changed the title to Xbox Game Pass - GUIDE TO BEST DEAL IN FIRST POST

I'm excited to play The Riftbreaker later. I loved the demo I played during one of those Steam festivals. I never got on with They Are Billions - it just didn't click for some reason. This felt much more what I wanted from a tower defense/RTS, at least from the half hour I played. 

5 hours ago, Akira said:

Hoping you helpful lot can break this down for me in the simplest of terms. So my game pass ultimate is about to expire in the next couple days, but I’m wondering if I can still take advantage of the gold to game pass conversion/stacking for £1 when I renew? 

Because I used that method originally, am I now exempt from using it again. Is it a one time per account situation? 

You can, BUT only after your current subscription has lapsed - if you try to do it while your current sub is active it will automatically convert gold to GP at a much worse exchange rate. And it will cost you £10.99 this time, it's the £1 conversion that's a one-time offer, but the otherwise you can do it as often as you like for £10.99 a time (so long as you wait until each sub expires, and with the caveat that MS could withdraw this offer at any time).

2 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

I think a mods jiggery pokery'd this as me and someone else answered them in the Series thread.

I think it was just me reading this thread before the other, so I thought I'd be helpful only to find I was hours late...

I had no idea you had to let GPU lapse before doing the deal again, thanks for the heads up. I have to start thinking about this sort of thing now, my $1 for 3 years thing is up next summer.

12 minutes ago, womblingfree said:

Downloaded Senua’s Sacrifice for the first time.

Not sure if I’m playing a game or watching a production at the Young Vic.

Either way, it’s certainly interesting.

It's a great game.... Play it with your 'Phones on for maximum effect! :)

Mostly enjoyed this last quarter of the game got a but tedious IIRC.

Think there is a second installment in the works....

Downloaded Myst tonight. Last time I saw that was way back when each screen was ray-traced and flipped as you moved though the environment. 

Looks even more impressive now running in the Unreal engine real time! .

Although I'm on PC the GamePass version doesn't support VR (didn't even know there was a VR version of this!). That version is in Steam but its £23.

This supports raytracing and all the bells and whistles so should look even more lovely on the Series machines. Also runs at 60fps.

For anyone that remembers the original this will blow your mind - well a little bit perhaps :)

On the 'best deal' stuff: Would it make sense to add a 'last updated' date to the info in the first post?

When I wasn't sure and asked in here, it was because I didn't know if the first post info was recent.

15 minutes ago, StephenM said:

On the 'best deal' stuff: Would it make sense to add a 'last updated' date to the info in the first post?

When I wasn't sure and asked in here, it was because I didn't know if the first post info was recent.

Wouldn't help because the trick is what it is, the first post won't ever need to be updated until Microsoft decides to close that loophole. 

1 hour ago, moosegrinder said:

Is it even a loophole at this point? There's no way in hell it'd still exist if MS didn't want it to. But yeah when someone notices it changes we'll get @Harsin to update the title and first post.

Oh they know 100%. If they didn't want it, it would've been closed in no-time. That's why a lot of us did it asap when it was first discovered. At this point, Microsoft's main interest is growing subscriber numbers as fast as possible, as high as possible. Making Game Pass profitable comes way later, right now it's all about subscriber numbers and becoming the unassailable number one game subscription and streaming platform. Grabbing the majority of that pie before competitors can get a slice.

I suspect this wasn't on purpose, but when they saw that this loophole was doing wonders for getting people like us - the hobbyist gamers - to try out game pass *and* locking us in for years immediately -they decided "great, let them subscribe!"

We're also the day one kind of hobbyist people who will talk to others about how great game pass is etcetera. And probably, us feeling like we're getting away with something does WAY more to entice us than simply offering one month GP for one dollar.

Pure guesswork on my part: this current start-up phase for the service is going to last for years and years still. So I wouldn't be surprised if the trick persists into the next generation. Also because with a new Xbox comes a new audience, you want to rope them in too.