Xbox Game Pass - GUIDE TO BEST DEAL IN FIRST POST

Harsin

Origin has (had?) the countdown stuff for non-EA published games too though, which is why it was really helpful. 

I get that from MS's perspective it isn't a QoL feature that would add any value for them and perhaps it would even cost them: The cynic in me thinks that people are more likely (even if marginally so) to buy something they are part-way through if it is going to be leaving the service, so by keeping them in the dark you might get some extra sales. 

4 minutes ago, Gabe said:

Origin has (had?) the countdown stuff for non-EA published games too though, which is why it was really helpful. 

I get that from MS's perspective it isn't a QoL feature that would add any value for them and perhaps it would even cost them: The cynic in me thinks that people are more likely (even if marginally so) to buy something they are part-way through if it is going to be leaving the service, so by keeping them in the dark you might get some extra sales. 

Every right to be cynical - MS aren't our friends they are out to make as much £££'s as they can out of us whilst not overstepping any marks and just staying in the confines of what is "acceptable" to people... Interestingly one of the main pushbacks when the Xbox One was previewed was the always online requirement and the fact you couldn't trade in games (they were tied to the console etc). Well guess what. GamePass has actually achieved what they wanted. :) Not only that the "Gold Loophole" is probably intentional too. I mean they are getting three years worth of subs upfront aren't they? So people have spent ~£30-40 per year upfront. You have no idea what you've bought into or what they are going to deliver and its all at face value. Of course its in their interest to keep providing a great service... but they already have your money.... :)

So you know we are 8 years down the way and MS have not only more or less killed physical games (with GamePass) and tied every game you play to your account.  Oh and get re-occurring revenue to add to the bag too. Sure it will be costing MS to start with... but long term... think they are onto a winner.

I did the gold thing BTW however I would pay the sub free given the content they are pushing out. Good value for money and always find something on GamePass. Its a great service. In fact currently rationalising my gaming and its looking ever more likely I'll just stick with my current PC and GamePass. Most of the games seem to run absolutely fine on my setup and it suits the way I play games these days - with minimal investment.

4 minutes ago, MattyP said:

So you know we are 8 years down the way and MS have not only more or less killed physical games

I'd agree with most of your points but physical games dying is not due to Gamepass or MS.  Digital distribution was banging the nails in their coffin well before the Bone's misstep on physical DRM. 

1 minute ago, monkeydog said:

I'd agree with most of your points but physical games dying is not due to Gamepass or MS.  Digital distribution was banging the nails in their coffin well before the Bone's misstep on physical DRM. 

Indeed. TBH never really saw the problem with MS's plans for digital... but then I'd been on Steam for  nearly 10 years at that point and my first bit of content being Half Life 2.

I get why people like the idea of physical media though because if you don't like something its easy to just sell it on and re-coup some costs. 

Steam is quite mature in the sense that you get a grace period for a refund - I bought a game and think I got 4-5 hours with it and could still request a refund. Not sure what the case is with digital content on PlayStation and on Xbox? I've had refunds from Xbox before however I think with Playstation store as soon as you download and boot it then no refund unless this has changed.

I mean, a lot of it isn't just for games you don't like - it's for games you don't want to keep. There are plenty of games I've played to the end (or for a few tens of hours before stopping) and then sold on, and that's one reason I still favour physical copies when buying games, and won't buy digital unless it's significanctly cheaper/the only option.* Gamepass offers a partial solution to that problem for me — games that I would have bought and sold I've enjoyed on service, and games I would have bought and kept I've then gone off and bought outright.

(Steam automatic refund limit is 2 hours, by the way, not 5. And is actually a bit shitty for very short games; at least with second-hand sales the dev/publisher gets the initial sale; Steam's system means that <2 hour game developers get to enjoy seeing people finish their game and then reclaim their money entirely)

* the others being I still like to have a copy that isn't reliant on an online service being available to play — even if it is unpatched — and that I like having the games I love displayed.

23 minutes ago, Wiper said:

I mean, a lot of it isn't just for games you don't like - it's for games you don't want to keep. There are plenty of games I've played to the end (or for a few tens of hours before stopping) and then sold on, and that's one reason I still favour physical copies when buying games, and won't buy digital unless it's significanctly cheaper/the only option.* Gamepass offers a partial solution to that problem for me — games that I would have bought and sold I've enjoyed on service, and games I would have bought and kept I've then gone off and bought outright.

(Steam automatic refund limit is 2 hours, by the way, not 5. And is actually a bit shitty for very short games; at least with second-hand sales the dev/publisher gets the initial sale; Steam's system means that <2 hour game developers get to enjoy seeing people finish their game and then reclaim their money entirely)

* the others being I still like to have a copy that isn't reliant on an online service being available to play — even if it is unpatched — and that I like having the games I love displayed.

Yeah that is bad. Think you only need an hour max from starting up something to realising its not for you. Saying that I've only ever requested a refund from Steam... think it was for the VR version of Trackmania... it was vomit inducing... :D However bought a game on PSN that I'm not really happy with and thats it no recourse. Sigh. Live and learn I guess. At least it wasn't £70 I guess. 

Think going forward all my digital purchases will be on PC via Steam. Seems to be the most consistent thing I've had over the years. Rest of my gaming will be on GamePass though.

22 hours ago, MDY said:

Just a heads up on this. I'm having major issues so far. 

The inventory won't open and no achievements are popping at all. Just trying a reinstall in case that fixes it. 

Looks nice as well does the actual game. 

18 minutes ago, Unofficial Who said:

Eastshade is leaving in 11 days. It's pretty short and it's lovely. Don't sleep on this, it's like playing Skyrm as Bob Ross.

478447-eastshade-screenshot.jpg

How did I miss this? That's this weekend sorted.

17 minutes ago, Unofficial Who said:

Eastshade is leaving in 11 days. It's pretty short and it's lovely. Don't sleep on this, it's like playing Skyrm as Bob Ross.

478447-eastshade-screenshot.jpg

I'd been enjoying playing it (agree that it had a Skyrim feel) and was waiting for it to appear in a sale. Usually games that are leaving GP get a discount but that doesn't seem to have happened for Eastshade yet. Possibly next week, before removal on 31 Oct???

On 19/10/2021 at 15:24, monkeydog said:

I tried playing Riftbreaker last night, thinking hero centric RTS might be fun.   The voiceover put me off so much I stop playing.  

I have really got into this.

The UI is a bit garbage and annoying, I didn't play the prologue which may have helped (it was second after new campaign do why would I click it), the learning curve is hard in regards how to do stuff - again the UI doesn't help - and the tutorial as it is, kinda balls.

But beneath this there is fun, enemies who come along and are scary, weapons to upgrade and build (this took me ages to work out, thank god for the grenade launcher!) and I want to build a massive base and harvest the world!

1 hour ago, alxbly said:

I'd been enjoying playing it (agree that it had a Skyrim feel) and was waiting for it to appear in a sale. Usually games that are leaving GP get a discount but that doesn't seem to have happened for Eastshade yet. Possibly next week, before removal on 31 Oct???

The PC version has a discount. But if you have a spare ten or so hours you can rinse it quickly. Just don't spoil things with a walkthrough.

Has anyone tried Into The Pit on Series X as yet? It has crashed on me multiple times now and when I tried to re-map the controller to change the jump button (it was set as Y) it completely messed up my entire control scheme and only a total game restart sorted it. It seems great when it’s working, but I may wait for a patch 

1 minute ago, Andy_Why said:

Has anyone tried Into The Pit on Series X as yet? It has crashed on me multiple times now and when I tried to re-map the controller to change the jump button (it was set as Y) it completely messed up my entire control scheme and only a total game restart sorted it. It seems great when it’s working, but I may wait for a patch 

Not on Series X but I got a game breaking glitch in the first room I went in on my One S and haven't tried it again yet. I did have a quick bash on PC and it seems decent. 

6 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

I really really really love the art style of Into The Pit

It took me a while to click as to why the artstyle felt familiar - looks wise it's an FPS Dead Cells! Agreed though, it's weirdly, grungily beautiful.

49 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

I've decided, for some bizarre reason, to try and get through Knights and Bikes before it falls off Game Pass and my word that's an adorable and yet somewhat melancholy game, isn't it?

Indeed. Its a wonderful little game... nice in co-op too... Another experience I would have probably overlooked if it hadn't have been on GamePass and I'd had a quick go on it. 

That was a crazy comment, I'm working my way through the the Yakuza games at the moment. 0 and Like A Dragon certainly are way better than that, having so much fun and the biggest worry seems to be completing them in time before other stuff leaves. What a glorious problem to have for free as I haven't had to buy a single Xbox games since I picked up my console so saved me a fortune.

Seeing as Virtues Last Reward is one of my favourite games of the last ten years I thought I'd give AI: the Somnium Files a go.

Ehh...

I'm not sure if I'm less charitable with this sort of thing than I would normally be because of playing Disco Elysium, but the relentless pervy dialogue, simplistic puzzling sections, and to be honest either boring or annoying characters has done my nut in, before I've even reached an ending.

There seems to be an issue with nearly every anime style game I've played lately seeming like it's written by people who have only experienced the world through tropey anime and so that's all they know how to write. I noticed it in Valkyria Chronicles 4 as well - the story elements ended up being vastly inferior to the original. Even cutesy bits in that I remember being charming without it feeling like you needed a lobotomy to appreciate.

16 minutes ago, Benny said:

There seems to be an issue with nearly every anime style game I've played lately seeming like it's written by people who have only experienced the world through tropey anime and so that's all they know how to write. I noticed it in Valkyria Chronicles 4 as well - the story elements ended up being vastly inferior to the original. Even cutesy bits in that I remember being charming without it feeling like you needed a lobotomy to appreciate.

Pretty sure this is exactly correct. Or it's entirely intentional because they know their target audience.

53 minutes ago, Benny said:

Seeing as Virtues Last Reward is one of my favourite games of the last ten years I thought I'd give AI: the Somnium Files a go.

Ehh...

I'm not sure if I'm less charitable with this sort of thing than I would normally be because of playing Disco Elysium

To short cut this post, if I enjoyed Virtue's Last Reward you're telling me I should play Disco Elysium?

41 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

Pretty sure this is exactly correct. Or it's entirely intentional because they know their target audience.

And the problem is that means it only ends up getting worse, because their target audience never ends up experiencing anything different.

10 minutes ago, Dudley said:

To short cut this post, if I enjoyed Virtue's Last Reward you're telling me I should play Disco Elysium?

If you enjoy anything you'll enjoy Disco Elysium.