IGNORED

Xbox Game Pass - GUIDE TO BEST DEAL IN FIRST POST

Harsin

1 hour ago, tobert said:

I wonder if Outer wilds will include the recent expansion,  its not mentioned so guessing not. 

I doubt it. How does buying DLC for Game Pass games work? Do you have to buy the base game as well?

I wonder if the Xbox and PC versions cloud sync your progress.

Late to the party, but I ran through Exo One the other night, and thought it was stunning. It's derivative (the stargate effect is a bit too similar to the one from 2001), it's visibly low-budget (the alien structures you pass by are mainly huge cubes and pyramids, and other easy-to-create shapes) and the story errs on the side of confusion rather than mystery. But the actual sense of exploring weird alien worlds is absolutely unparalleled. The core mechanic of rolling down slopes and using your momentum to glide reminds me of a mix of Flower and building up speed on a swing, and is very satisfying when you get it right. The sequence near the end where 

Spoiler

you're drifting through the clouds of a Jovian-type planet was an absolutely pitch perfect mix of the awe and terror you'd feel in that situation. It looked stunning, with lightning illuminating the pillars of cloud from within, and the tiny, distant sun appearing through the clouds.

There are a couple of dodgy planets halfway through but each one lasts a few minutes at most, and it ends incredibly strongly. If you have any interest in sci-fi and loved the mixture of wonder and fear you get in 2001, Blindsight, Schismatrix, etc, then this is well worth two hours of your time.

6 minutes ago, K said:

Late to the party, but I ran through Exo One the other night, and thought it was stunning. It's derivative (the stargate effect is a bit too similar to the one from 2001), it's visibly low-budget (the alien structures you pass by are mainly huge cubes and pyramids, and other easy-to-create shapes) and the story errs on the side of confusion rather than mystery. But the actual sense of exploring weird alien worlds is absolutely unparalleled. The core mechanic of rolling down slopes and using your momentum to glide reminds me of a mix of Flower and building up speed on a swing, and is very satisfying when you get it right. The sequence near the end where 

Reveal hidden contents

you're drifting through the clouds of a Jovian-type planet was an absolutely pitch perfect mix of the awe and terror you'd feel in that situation. It looked stunning, with lightning illuminating the pillars of cloud from within, and the tiny, distant sun appearing through the clouds.

There are a couple of dodgy planets halfway through but each one lasts a few minutes at most, and it ends incredibly strongly. If you have any interest in sci-fi and loved the mixture of wonder and fear you get in 2001, Blindsight, Schismatrix, etc, then this is well worth two hours of your time.

I loved it!

I honestly thought it would appear in more GOTY posts but I guess it was too short or didn’t really strike a chord with many others. Or maybe it was only 30 fps or something so was “completely unplayable”, not that I’m salty or anything.

1 hour ago, Jamie John said:

I doubt it. How does buying DLC for Game Pass games work? Do you have to buy the base game as well?

I wonder if the Xbox and PC versions cloud sync your progress.

No base game needed 

Great. ME coming but I seem to be bugged and can't link up my Microsoft and EA accounts. Every time I start EA Play and try to log in via Xbox, after I put my account details in (which never save) it tells me the session has timed out and I need to reset my password.

Guess I'll have to wait for it to drop a bit more in the sales.

Great about Mass Effect. Started the Pedestrian, seems a decent puzzler

Keep forgetting games actually leave game pass, Desperados 3 leaves on the 15th, played a good chunk of it, really enjoyed it but got stuck on a level that had too much going on, so left it to pick up later. Just checked and I'm on the second last level, should really try and get it finished.

3 hours ago, Scruff said:

Great. ME coming but I seem to be bugged and can't link up my Microsoft and EA accounts. Every time I start EA Play and try to log in via Xbox, after I put my account details in (which never save) it tells me the session has timed out and I need to reset my password.

Guess I'll have to wait for it to drop a bit more in the sales.

I had this problem when NFS Hot Pursuit Remastered was released on Gamepass in 2021, the password was correct but it didn't work. However, after changing the password in the EA website, it was accepted in the Xbox. Of course, that meant I had to re-login in Origin, but everything works fine now.

Also, make sure you've activated 2 Factor Authentication in your EA account. When the original NFS Hot Pursuit was released in 2010, I linked my PSN account to an EA account which doesn't use my main e-mail adress. After that, I never gave much thought to that account, and years later I created a new one tied to my main e-mail adress. Then, in 2020, I bought ... NFS Hot Pursuit Remastered for the PS4, which always tried to connect with the original EA-to-PSN tied account but failed, until I realised that, maybe, it didn't work because that old and forgotten account, unlike the new one, didn't have 2FA activated. After setting 2FA, it logged on inmediately.

Have just re-upped for three years. Got three codes on sale from CDKeys for £104.97, used Reward points for the renewal, so it works out as less than £3 a month for Ultimate. Which is just ridiculously good value for me. Even though I don't play quite as much as I like, having the Forzas on there day one almost makes it worthwhile by themselves, and then I can just go exploring and play some games where I don't think I'd take a punt on them, but will play them when they're part of the subscription. One of my most played games of the last little while is Minecraft Dungeons, which I really wouldn't have paid for, but really enjoy. Hades is another great example of this. 

I've even strayed into a bit of PC gaming, which I haven't done for years.

It's just ludicrously good value.

8 hours ago, ScouserInExile said:

Have just re-upped for three years. Got three codes on sale from CDKeys for £104.97, used Reward points for the renewal, so it works out as less than £3 a month for Ultimate. Which is just ridiculously good value for me. Even though I don't play quite as much as I like, having the Forzas on there day one almost makes it worthwhile by themselves, and then I can just go exploring and play some games where I don't think I'd take a punt on them, but will play them when they're part of the subscription. One of my most played games of the last little while is Minecraft Dungeons, which I really wouldn't have paid for, but really enjoy. Hades is another great example of this. 

I've even strayed into a bit of PC gaming, which I haven't done for years.

It's just ludicrously good value.

Are you based in the UK? 

If so did you chose the worldwide xbox live subscription? 

5 hours ago, Garwoofoo said:

Has Outer Wilds been enhanced for Series consoles at all? Like some others I found it a bit unpleasant to play at 30fps when it first came out.

I don't think so. Still looks similarly rough around the edges to me but I'm not expert at spotting this stuff. It's possible there have been fewer hitches but that may be placebo. I certainly didn't notice an obvious upgrade when switching playing on One X -> Series X a few weeks ago. It doesn't have a Series X/S enhanced logo on it.

1 hour ago, monkeydog said:

UBisoft+ coming to Xbox (it was PC only).  You still have to pay for it. 

Rainbow Six Extraction is coming to Gamepass on day one (20th Jan).  Er, woo!

https://news.ubisoft.com/en-us/article/6swN56EyVYT97D6r1sFwZE

Guess I’ll at least try it then. What I’ve seen so far has left me very unenthused, even by Ubisoft standards.