IGNORED

Xbox Game Pass - GUIDE TO BEST DEAL IN FIRST POST

Harsin

I persevered with the Gunk because I really enjoyed the act of sucking the stuff up, and ended up completing it. I still found the story and characters intensely annoying, and feel that I would really have loved the game if the tone was much less cosy and perky. But for all that, there was a lot to like about it. I enjoyed the look of the game - I don't know if it was deliberate, but the characters seemed to be modelled and textured to look like painted miniatures. The protagonist's jacket and gear even looks like it's been drybrushed. Technically, it was a bit ropey, with loads of loading breaks and the occasional bit where I got stuck in the scenery, but I found hoovering up the gunk to be incredibly satisfying, especially that bit where a huge tower is absolutely covered in the stuff.

1 hour ago, K said:

I persevered with the Gunk because I really enjoyed the act of sucking the stuff up, and ended up completing it. I still found the story and characters intensely annoying, and feel that I would really have loved the game if the tone was much less cosy and perky. But for all that, there was a lot to like about it. I enjoyed the look of the game - I don't know if it was deliberate, but the characters seemed to be modelled and textured to look like painted miniatures. The protagonist's jacket and gear even looks like it's been drybrushed. Technically, it was a bit ropey, with loads of loading breaks and the occasional bit where I got stuck in the scenery, but I found hoovering up the gunk to be incredibly satisfying, especially that bit where a huge tower is absolutely covered in the stuff.

I'm currently playing through it and it feels like I'm coming to the end. I'm loving it, it's just a super relaxing platformer with some nice wee puzzles and an awesome art style. 

But my god the pilot is an annoying character who needs to be fucked off into the sun. 

Spoiler

The constant losing her temper with the main character but then not saying why, or constantly telling the main character that she doesn't want to speak because it's a waste of her time, only to come back on moments later to ask for things that will benefit her is just crap. Makes her come across as a cold abusive piece of shit. 

4 minutes ago, tobert said:

How bad is the swearing in the Gunk? I think my kids would like it but they are too young for anything very explice (F-bombs for example)

There is a fair bit, but IIRC it's all "bollocks" and "shit". No fucks. It's a weird choice to have profanity in the dialogue, because it would otherwise be ideal for kids - it's gently-paced, easy, and has a fairly uncomplicated story. Probably fine for older kids, but I wouldn't let my six year old play it.

The Anacrusis is roooough. Lots of fundamentals aren't really in place yet especially regarding animation and hit detection. It seems very barebones. People who played Back 4 Blood for five minutes and complained about it should be forced to play this for eternity.

1 hour ago, Moz said:

The Anacrusis is roooough. Lots of fundamentals aren't really in place yet especially regarding animation and hit detection. It seems very barebones. People who played Back 4 Blood for five minutes and complained about it should be forced to play this for eternity.

It's early access. I don't think they should release games as early as they have done with this. 

The developer said recently it's no where near finished and they have a major multi year plan going forward. 

I missed the announcement, but I just went to put Minecraft Dungeons on my laptop to see if it'll run it and noticed there's a new Minecraft PC gamepass bundle, which includes both Bedrock and Java editions! That's brilliant. I bought the Java edition a while ago, as my kids wanted to tinker with mods, but it makes total sense that it should be on Game Pass.

Wow the Anacrusis is incredibly poor.

Developers Stray Bombay had a dream, that dream was apparently what if you took Prey (2017) stripped out all the stuff people really liked about that game like the immersive storytelling, branching decisions, sense of exploration play your own way character customisation etcetera etecetera; and just kept the 60s/70s influenced space setting and black goo monsters and turned it into a really, really bad Left 4 Dead clone.

Even by the standards of early access releases it’s incredibly rough. There’s less bugs in a series of I’m a Celebrity. Beyond that even basic stuff like the feel of the movement and the handling of the guns is just plain bad, like you’re roller skating through treacle. It feels like something you’d find on the cover disc of some PC magazine you hadn’t heard of in 2005 that said 50 great games on here!

Thing is even they put in the extreme amount of work that would be needed to get this into a half-decent state, you’re left with the feeling what’s the point. There’s about metric fuckton of Left 4 Dead-allies coming out this year (including one from Arkane ironically). By the end of my time with this I actually felt sorry for the devs, looking at its menus with promises of season passes and new episodes that they hope to add, like I’d spent a couple of hours staring at a horribly disfigured dog or cat at the local shelter that you know will never be chosen by a family.

8 hours ago, Ry said:

It's early access. I don't think they should release games as early as they have done with this. 

The developer said recently it's no where near finished and they have a major multi year plan going forward. 

I know, I listen to a podcast hosted by one of the devs. It’s way too rough for early access in my opinion, I think they’ve tanked their chances at getting any traction. 

I’ve just let my Game Pass lapse, and I’ve bought 3 years worth of gold to do the top up trick. But I’ve also just been given a year’s free ultimate game pass code from BT. Is there anyway to use the BT code and my gold codes, or am I better off just doing the gold trick and ignoring the BT offer?

I guess if I use the BT offer I’d be gambling on the Gold codes not expiring and the exchange offer still being open next year?

3 minutes ago, jon_cybernet said:

I’ve just let my Game Pass lapse, and I’ve bought 3 years worth of gold to do the top up trick. But I’ve also just been given a year’s free ultimate game pass code from BT. Is there anyway to use the BT code and my gold codes, or am I better off just doing the gold trick and ignoring the BT offer?

I guess if I use the BT offer I’d be gambling on the Gold codes not expiring and the exchange offer still being open next year?

you could do two years worth of gold, then top up with the BT, and then worst case exchange the gold for a few months later on.

Great news on Hitman as I have bought all three but could never get the previous levels to appear in Hitman 3s engine, so once this is out I'll delete everything and download the GP version. 

26 minutes ago, jon_cybernet said:

3 x Game Pass, convert to Ultimate, wait a year, add BT Ultimate.

There's no thread for the Anacrusis. And that is a good thing, it's fucking dire. I know it's early access but I can't see why you'd want to put out a game in that state for people to play.

54 minutes ago, Strafe said:

There's no thread for the Anacrusis. And that is a good thing, it's fucking dire. I know it's early access but I can't see why you'd want to put out a game in that state for people to play.

It's so odd, right? What were they thinking?!

They were probably thinking “we’ve run out of money and need to either release something to bring in cash, or jack the whole lot in”. 

That said, I’m not sure why Microsoft would be paying them to have it on Game Pass based on what I’ve seen of the game. 

I'm surprised to hear it's so bad - I've not played it but Nextlander spoke a lot about it on their most recent podcast and were very positive so I assumed it was good! But then their friend Will Smith seems to be involved in making it and they played it with him on stream so maybe some bias there. 

16 hours ago, Radish said:

I'm surprised to hear it's so bad - I've not played it but Nextlander spoke a lot about it on their most recent podcast and were very positive so I assumed it was good! But then their friend Will Smith seems to be involved in making it and they played it with him on stream so maybe some bias there. 

Both the Nextlander and Giant Bomb streams had Will Smith playing with them, who has been their good friend for many years and featured on many a Bombcast, but he's also the Head of PR at Stray Bombay. Both streams had a lot of people stuck at a party everyone knows is shit desperately assuring the host they're having a whale of a time awkward energy.

18 hours ago, StumpyJohn said:

Popped in to ask for suggestions for next thing to play on game pass as am almost done with FH5 for now.  Gonna get The Gunk downloading ready for tonight I think 🙂

Have you played Yakuza Like a Dragon or Nier Automata?