IGNORED

Xbox Game Pass - GUIDE TO BEST DEAL IN FIRST POST

Harsin

13 minutes ago, JPL said:

Won’t that cost a load more? Don’t suppose you’d know the best place to get them from, would you?

10 minutes ago, Quest said:

Ah, thanks. Mine doesn’t actually run out until next year, but I’m tempted to try and stack it back up to three years before the inevitable price hike.

Just not sure what the best option is right now. Looks like JPL and I are after the same thing.

I’ve previously bought Turkish gold or game pass from cdkeys.  Then used a vpn on my laptop to appear I’m in turkey to redeem them on Microsoft.com/redeem

Not as cheap as waiting for your game pass to expire and doing the deal but cheaper than paying 10 quid a month for in prices. 

17 minutes ago, Sane said:

Why would they now suddenly change anything?

They're going to at some point, it can't last forever. We just don't know when that will be. They supposedly stopped selling year gold top ups but CD keys seem to have an inexhaustible supply.

37 minutes ago, JPL said:

Mine doesn’t run out til summer, so I take it there’s nothing I can really do until then is there?

Keep an eye on this thread for the '3 months Game Pass Ultimate for £xx' posts.

Currently you can get 3 months for £19.49.

1 hour ago, JPL said:

I really hope they don’t close the loophole now they’re in the process of buying Activision.

Mine doesn’t run out til summer, so I take it there’s nothing I can really do until then is there?

Yeah, collect reward points and just keep extending it that way for free basically. Once you're in, with a relatively trivial amount of busywork you can stay in for nothing. Especially if you buy a game from time to time.

In some ways, the guide in the first post is missing an option for those on a budget - the cheapest way to do it is 1 month and then rewards redemption. Permanent GP for £10.

4 minutes ago, rgraves said:

Yeah, collect reward points and just keep extending it that way for free basically. Once you're in, with a relatively trivial amount of busywork you can stay in for nothing. Especially if you buy a game from time to time.

In some ways, the guide in the first post is missing an option for those on a budget - the cheapest way to do it is 1 month and then rewards redemption. Permanent GP for £10.

Is there an idiot's guide to what you need to do for the rewards points? I've always assumed it's something I won't bother doing, but if it's easy I might give it a go.

Other than that I might just risk it until my sub runs out and hope the deal is still working.

5 minutes ago, JPL said:

Is there an idiot's guide to what you need to do for the rewards points? I've always assumed it's something I won't bother doing, but if it's easy I might give it a go.

Other than that I might just risk it until my sub runs out and hope the deal is still working.

1) Go to the Rewards app, which is in My Games & apps > apps

2) Go to Earn tab in the Rewards app

3) Do the things

1 hour ago, Quest said:

Ah, thanks. Mine doesn’t actually run out until next year, but I’m tempted to try and stack it back up to three years before the inevitable price hike.

Just not sure what the best option is right now. Looks like JPL and I are after the same thing.

As Hitcher points out above some times you can get really good deals on GPU top ups some times. Potentially if they had a really good deal on live gold 3 month (converts to 50 days GPU) or 6 months (converts to 79 days GPU) it might be cheaper that way at points.

As has been stated if you are so inclined it’s possible (at present) to just keep it topped up using reward points redeemed against 3 month live cards (15,000 for a 3 month card). 

6 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

1) Go to the Rewards app, which is in My Games & apps > apps

2) Go to Earn tab in the Rewards app

3) Do the things

@JPL
Also go to your profile from the guide and then games/gamepass quests. Do the the things (or some of the things, whatever takes your fancy).

Outside of the Xbox there are also daily challenges and searches to do on the web.

Essentially you are looking to build up blocks of 15k points to redeem against a 3 month live card which converts to 50 days of GPU (this is a better conversion per point than the 1 month of GPU for 12k).

So I basically need to earn 15000 points every 50 days. I'll take a look on my xbox later and see what's what.

My current rewards balance is 9,641 and that's been since the programme started, as I've never redeemed any.

I bought Death's Door a few months ago, and it's excellent. I not only finished it (rare) but I was enjoying it so much I went back and did some optional extra bits to get the secret ending (I *never* do this). One of the best games of the year, I'm just glad more people will get to play it now.

1 hour ago, JPL said:

So I basically need to earn 15000 points every 50 days. I'll take a look on my xbox later and see what's what.

My current rewards balance is 9,641 and that's been since the programme started, as I've never redeemed any.

If you're not actively doing them then they don't accrue very quickly. I've had quite a few 25 quid vouchers out of it. I've almost got enough for another £50.

Hmm, had a quick look on my xbox and it seems to be expecting me to download and play a load of games I've got no interest in. Think I'll just hold out til summer.

1 minute ago, JPL said:

Hmm, had a quick look on my xbox and it seems to be expecting me to download and play a load of games I've got no interest in. Think I'll just hold out til summer.

Do the browser (desktop or mobile) stuff - some quick bing searches and a daily poll etc net you a few hundred a day for a start. With regards to games, don't forget you don't need to download most of the time (I don't), use the cloud option to fire them up if needed etc. Ignore stuff you don't fancy, absolutely.

If you're using Edge, install the rewards plugin and that'll get you going without any games-related stuff at all.

Hitman Trilogy is up now.

Looks like it includes the standard editions of Hitman 1, 2 and 3 only. So it's missing (a) the two DLC levels for Hitman 2 and (b) the 7 Deadly Sins expansion for Hitman 3.

Of those - the two Hitman 2 levels are excellent and absolutely worth getting, though wait for a sale. 7 Deadly Sins is for completionists only.

31 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

Hitman Trilogy is up now.

Looks like it includes the standard editions of Hitman 1, 2 and 3 only. So it's missing (a) the two DLC levels for Hitman 2 and (b) the 7 Deadly Sins expansion for Hitman 3.

Of those - the two Hitman 2 levels are excellent and absolutely worth getting, though wait for a sale. 7 Deadly Sins is for completionists only.

VR compatible too.  

https://ioisupport.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/4417185915025

Jeez there really is no stopping MS at the moment is there. At least three games in there I want to try....all available on PC too. And people say they can't find anything to play on the service :D Also picked up Space Invaders Extreme on Gold for the 'ole 360 too this month.....

xbox-game-pass-january-2022-games.jpg

7 hours ago, JPL said:

I don't install any of those, chiefly because data caps. This is where xCloud comes in, if they're available (EA Play ones aren't). Honestly, it looks like a chew but once you build up the streak it's easy enough. I am full on dad gaming and go days between playing, sometimes. Here are the heavy hitters:

- in the Microsoft Rewards app (console only), you'll get an extra 1k points every few weeks once you get the streak going. You get 7 days to do those sets. Sometimes it's "use bing 50 times", which is trivial if you're searching for guff at work. Sometimes it's earn 3 achievements - just play! I do LucasArts remasters. Sometimes the wording suggests you need to pre-order a game, but really you just click on it to see it in the store. Easy.

- Also in rewards app are 2k points up for grabs each month. Typically also "3 achievements", answer this quiz, get an achievement from {bunch of popular Game Pass titles}. 

- In the Game Pass app (console and mobile) you'll see a bunch of quests, the most important of which is the 1k. 45 lots of daily quests, which means 22 and a bit days of 1) playing a game pass game and 2) opening the mobile app. If you're not planning to play on a given day, install Microsoft Solitaire, which is now ad-free with Game Pass, so counts as playing a Game Pass game. I used to pay for this, so that was a nice bonus for me. You'll need to do most of the weekly quests to hit the 15 needed for the 1k points, so when possible, do the "play x" quests via xcloud if you don't want to download. Nice and easy now you can xcloud directly from xbox app on mobile/PC, or directly from console.

We could do with a guide to this.

It sounds like an absolute chew but isn't. I'm not super worried about the workaround to get cheap GP (my $1/3yr deal runs out this Summer) because the method above is easy enough to get GP with points alone. For anyone actually having the time to play a lot, it must be a doddle to get even more points.

5 minutes ago, TehStu said:

I don't install any of those, chiefly because data caps. This is where xCloud comes in, if they're available (EA Play ones aren't). Honestly, it looks like a chew but once you build up the streak it's easy enough. I am full on dad gaming and go days between playing, sometimes. Here are the heavy hitters:

- in the Microsoft Rewards app (console only), you'll get an extra 1k points every few weeks once you get the streak going. You get 7 days to do those sets. Sometimes it's "use bing 50 times", which is trivial if you're searching for guff at work. Sometimes it's earn 3 achievements - just play! I do LucasArts remasters. Sometimes the wording suggests you need to pre-order a game, but really you just click on it to see it in the store. Easy.

- Also in rewards app are 2k points up for grabs each month. Typically also "3 achievements", answer this quiz, get an achievement from {bunch of popular Game Pass titles}. 

- In the Game Pass app (console and mobile) you'll see a bunch of quests, the most important of which is the 1k. 45 lots of daily quests, which means 22 and a bit days of 1) playing a game pass game and 2) opening the mobile app. If you're not planning to play on a given day, install Microsoft Solitaire, which is now ad-free with Game Pass, so counts as playing a Game Pass game. I used to pay for this, so that was a nice bonus for me. You'll need to do most of the weekly quests to hit the 15 needed for the 1k points, so when possible, do the "play x" quests via xcloud if you don't want to download. Nice and easy now you can xcloud directly from xbox app on mobile/PC, or directly from console.

We could do with a guide to this.

It sounds like an absolute chew but isn't. I'm not super worried about the workaround to get cheap GP (my $1/3yr deal runs out this Summer) because the method above is easy enough to get GP with points alone. For anyone actually having the time to play a lot, it must be a doddle to get even more points.

Thanks for this Stu. I'm definitely like you, in that I'm not on my console every day due to work/kids/life/etc, so I don't know how feasible it'd be. Your guide up there makes it seem less hassle than I thought and I'm sure once I get a routine going, I'll be able to fly through it pretty quickly. Even if I don't manage to get the 15000 points every month, it's still there for top ups when I need it.

57 minutes ago, JPL said:

Thanks for this Stu. I'm definitely like you, in that I'm not on my console every day due to work/kids/life/etc, so I don't know how feasible it'd be. Your guide up there makes it seem less hassle than I thought and I'm sure once I get a routine going, I'll be able to fly through it pretty quickly. Even if I don't manage to get the 15000 points every month, it's still there for top ups when I need it.

Going here: https://www.trueachievements.com/xbox-quests makes the quests easier to complete.

2 hours ago, Jolly said:

Danganronpa, Windjammers 2, Hitman Trilogy and Death's Door all in the same week.

Four games, Jeremy? Four? That's insane. 

It was ten games in total this week.

Nobody Saves the World is the best thing this week*. I'm absolutely loving it.

*Not played Windjammers yet though. And not going near that new Rainbow Six. Oh but Puperazzi could be great also. 

Probably the best week ever for gamepass. 

Hitman is incredible... but there's a lot of it. Probably not ideal if you're time-starved, though on the other hand it can be played in bits and pieces, and could be a game to enjoy over the course of a year.

Death's Door is relatively short, and very good; it would probably suit your situation better, particularly if you want something you can finish.

Can't comment on NSTW, as I've not yet played it.