IGNORED

Xbox Game Pass - GUIDE TO BEST DEAL IN FIRST POST

Harsin

2 hours ago, Skull Commander said:

I tried it but prefer the default. I think the reds on the left (d pad) and blues on the right hand face buttons is something that has been programmed into me from stuff like Bishi Bashi and early rhythm games on the PS1. 

While the game is fun enough it really needs some other form of controller to get the best out of it. It is making me want to get the Gamecube out and  set up Donkey Konga again though. 

Weird how different people are wired lol ^.^

I think it's a bit barebones tbf, there's a very weird mix of tracks though, I'd rather it focused on 1-2 genres than have about 6 with some really obscure songs. The input lag seems bad on higher difficulties too, will give it a go on PC when it's working and see if that is any better.

I exactly where @Majorais regarding Death's Door vs Nobody Saves the world. Loving Death's Door, whereas Nobody saves the World I'm not really enjoying very much at all.

Obviously it's great that I've been able to play two games that I wouldn't otherwise have tried, and it doesn't matter that I like one and not the other, and other people are the other way, and others are enjoying both.

2 hours ago, Majora said:

I was the total opposite. Really enjoyed Death's Door but after about maybe 4-5 hours I think I'm ready to bail on Nobody Saves The World. 

I haven't not enjoyed it but I'm finding it pretty repetitive now. The combat is too shallow to hold my interest and that's really all there is to it. It seems like the big selling point is unlocking the new characters and mix/matching their abilities but the combat pretty fundamentally just seems to be being rushed by groups of enemies in rather mundane randomly generated dungeons.

When I looked at the map and saw I'd only uncovered a quarter of it I felt disappointed I wasn't much further through the game which says a lot really. It seems like lots of people like it but it's not for me and another good example of how freeing Gamepass is when you don't feel obliged to persevere because you dropped 20 quid on something. 

I haven’t tried Death’s Door yet but I’ve come to the same view on Nobody, although I enjoyed it for longer. I’ve abandoned it with about half the map uncovered, but now the novelty’s worn off it’s turned into a bit of a grind. I did really enjoy the early stages though, so I’m glad GP gives us the chance to dip in and sample these things without feeling like we’ve wasted money on something if we don’t finish it.

17 minutes ago, Skull Commander said:

How long is Deaths Door?? I have it downloaded but been short on time recently. 

Between 8 to 10 hours. I always google "game name hltb" when deciding what to play next. I like to vary up long epic games with a few short ones

Just abandoned Death's Door really far in after finding it really boring. I just couldn't find original ideas in it, and combat outside of bosses was just hit something, roll away, then run back in and hit it again.

Nobody Saves The World, however, I'm loving.

1 hour ago, therearerules said:

Just abandoned Death's Door really far in after finding it really boring. I just couldn't find original ideas in it, and combat outside of bosses was just hit something, roll away, then run back in and hit it again.

Yeah, you're right and the world design and music really brought it down also. 🙄

Ditto. Death's Door is very much "What if 16-bit Zelda had good combat",* which I found quite compelling. NSTW, on the other hand, seems to want answer the question "what if a 16-bit top-down action game had no challenge and also grinding for unlocks". Not really my idea of a good time, though I can see how it would be appealing to fans of compulsive gameplay loops.

*and better characters and setting

None of that was meant to be a "dig" at anyone,* just me voicing what I can see as the points of appeal for the two games. I'm not passing judgement on people for enjoying compulsive gameplay, any more than I'd accept other peoples' judgement of me for enjoying "passive" gameplay experiences like visual novels or walking simulators. I just get no joy out of that kind of gameplay experience; anyone else in the same boat could probably do with knowing it in advance, rather than being like me and spending 6 hours getting to the point of realising that the unlocks were the end, not the means: that this was aiming for Diablo, not Metroid in appeal.

*though I will admit to taking a wilful swipe at 2D Zelda for my own amusement, because of course I did. I'm pretty sure Zelda doesn't count as a person for this purpose, however

I am having a blast with Game Pass, obviously the best deal in gaming.

My new love is Windjammers 2 (from the same publisher as the other blast from the past, Streets of Rage IV). Pure gold, I miss games that are just that, games... and not convoluted game theory systems with systems on top of systems on top of systems on top of systems. Obviously some do this better than others, but it is a trend in gaming for over a decade now, and I miss the more arcade driven days of gaming, peaking for me in the Dreamcast era (which is still my favourite era of gaming ever, probably also due to my age at that point in time and the relative newness of online gaming). Now almost 40 with a young family, I just want to hop in a game for a minute or 10 or do a longer session without cracking my brain on where to pick up my adventure. For this reason I have also scrubbed my Xbox Series X to a selection of around 20 games, of which 10 more arcade style, and another 10 that require a bit more involvement (in a few different genres). 

I am getting old. 

I wasn't digging Nobody Saves The World either, I don't like it's presentation and also the zoom ratio is off. I will give it another try at some point in the future. Death's Door is right up my alley, great visual presentation in a world that intrigues. Elsewhere I am playing It Takes Two with the Ms., having lots of fun with that one.  

I repeat: Game Pass, the best deal in gaming, also when you're old.

7 hours ago, Wiper said:

None of that was meant to be a "dig" at anyone,* just me voicing what I can see as the points of appeal for the two games. I'm not passing judgement on people for enjoying compulsive gameplay, any more than I'd accept other peoples' judgement of me for enjoying "passive" gameplay experiences like visual novels or walking simulators. I just get no joy out of that kind of gameplay experience; anyone else in the same boat could probably do with knowing it in advance, rather than being like me and spending 6 hours getting to the point of realising that the unlocks were the end, not the means: that this was aiming for Diablo, not Metroid in appeal

Of course you were, reread your post. Also I disagree that unlocks are the end, why are the main dungeons the ones in which unlocks are disabled? It's essentially a bunch of mini challenges to encourage mixing and matching and changing forms, in order for everyone to find their best method of survival in the main dungeons. It's a fantastic way to get players away from sticking with one weapon method of play, with an original idea for unlocking map powers (rather than find them in a dungeon), whilst forcing players away from that box opening compulsion to just survive with their best character without unlocking anything. It's literally the means to an end.

Implying that people are only enjoying the game because of the compulsion loop is akin to me saying "I can see how Death's Door appeals to people who enjoy positive feedback from incredibly simple puzzles". True, but clearly a dig and unnecessary.

4 hours ago, therearerules said:

"I can see how Death's Door appeals to people who enjoy positive feedback from incredibly simple puzzles". True, but clearly a dig and unnecessary.

Well, I vaguely understand the problem now inasmuch as I don't see what you've written there as a "dig" or "unnecessary", just an analysis of Death's Door's appeal (or lack thereof). I'd broadly agree with it, though I wouldn't identify its puzzles as the game's core appeal; for me they're a minor aspect of the game's carefully gated progression.

I suppose this is an extension of the "I can't usually tell if I'm being insulted or mocked in real life" problem, which leads to the inverse situation too, unfortunately.

Fuck yes. I played the living shit out of The Show 21 and it got me back into baseball in a big way, so that's great news. 

1 hour ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Yeah last year felt like some kind of oversight on Sony’s part maybe. This year what the hell are they thinking? 

It's published by the MLB themselves on non-PlayStation platforms, so Sony don't really get a say in that regard. I'd warrant that it's an arrangement that worked out quite nicely for them in terms of MTX sales anyway, so they're probably fine with it. Apparently it did very well indeed on Xbox/Game Pass as Xbox players had been starved of a decent baseball game for years.

1 hour ago, pinholestar said:

Fuck yes. I played the living shit out of The Show 21 and it got me back into baseball in a big way, so that's great news. 

It's published by the MLB themselves on non-PlayStation platforms, so Sony don't really get a say in that regard. I'd warrant that it's an arrangement that worked out quite nicely for them in terms of MTX sales anyway, so they're probably fine with it. Apparently it did very well indeed on Xbox/Game Pass as Xbox players had been starved of a decent baseball game for years.

Makes sense.

Shit optics though regardless.

I would normally have no interest whatsoever in something like Crossfire X but Remedy's involvement means I'm keeping a curious eye on it.

That aside, probably only Telling Lies for me from that line-up.