IGNORED

Xbox Game Pass - GUIDE TO BEST DEAL IN FIRST POST

Harsin

Dno if that's any use...keyboard is actually suprisingly good, currently working on learning that when I'm not on controller. Can have 2 keys next to each other for blue and 2 for red, making alternating very easy. 

Got halfway through A rank last night because the harder charts started to click somewhat, it feels very satisfying when you start pulling off the difficult stuff. There were songs last night where I was just pressing buttons correctly even though my brain was like OMGWTFTHISISTOOFAST. 

4 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

The Xbox one drums are wireless. I could get my Ion Rocker out of the loft but that is a task and a half.

Would it maybe be possible with the official Microsoft Xbox dongle yhat was used to connect Xbone controllers wirelessly to the PC before they started putting Bluetooth in their controllers?

3 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Would it maybe be possible with the official Microsoft Xbox dongle yhat was used to connect Xbone controllers wirelessly to the PC before they started putting Bluetooth in their controllers?

Nope, to answer my own question:

I have Windows 10 with the Xbox One adapter. The adapter is recognized by Windows, and the adapter and the Xbox One controllers connect. When using a Xbox One controller I can play my video games like I do with my Xbox 360 controller connected to the Xbox 360 Windows adapter. But there is no recognized device when I connect the Xbox One RB4 drums to the Xbox One adapter. It syncs to it, but that's it. None of my own software (which relies on SlimDX to interface with XInput) nor Phase Shift (which interfaces directly with XInput) can see the drums.

From some thread on Reddit

My GamePass expiration will be in two years from the end of this month. 

Is there a cheap way of extending for another year up to the 3 year max or do I need to wait until it’s completely expired? No rush of course but it would be nice to guard against any potential future price rises. 

19 minutes ago, SuperFamiTom said:

Is there a cheap way of extending for another year up to the 3 year max or do I need to wait until it’s completely expired? No rush of course but it would be nice to guard against any potential future price rises. 

I was in your situation and bought Turkish Game Pass Ultimate codes from Eneba. It's around eleven quid for three months, I think.

You'll need a VPN set to a Turkish location to redeem them on the MS site, so make sure you can do that before buying.

13 minutes ago, Quest said:

I was in your situation and bought Turkish Game Pass Ultimate codes from Eneba. It's around eleven quid for three months, I think.

You'll need a VPN set to a Turkish location to redeem them on the MS site, so make sure you can do that before buying.

Ah okay cheers. I’ll definitely take a look at that. I recently let my VPN Subscription lapse but it’ll be worth paying for another month from what you’re saying. 

7 minutes ago, SuperFamiTom said:

Ah okay cheers. I’ll definitely take a look at that. I recently let my VPN Subscription lapse but it’ll be worth paying for another month from what you’re saying. 

I just use a free VPN. Recently topped up 9 months for about £34. 

1 hour ago, SuperFamiTom said:

Just keep an eye out for these deals -

On 31/01/2022 at 16:20, Hitcher said:

7 hours ago, Varsity said:

Dno if that's any use...keyboard is actually suprisingly good, currently working on learning that when I'm not on controller. Can have 2 keys next to each other for blue and 2 for red, making alternating very easy. 

If you have one, I can confirm an arcade stick is brilliant, the large buttons work well turning this game into a Pop n Music type experience (albeit with just 4 buttons). 

My issue now is that the PC version can only be played in single player with a keyboard (I’m using my MAME cabinet) so I need to find the easiest way to fool the computer into thinking I’m using Xbox controllers. I believe there’s a way with x360ce software or similar, but that’s a job for another day.

54 minutes ago, Monkeyboy said:

Much thanks to the first post in this thread. I now have Game Pass Ultimate until 2025, at no further cost!!!

How? Is there some mysterious way that you can cheaply and easily get up to three years' worth of Xbox Live, then convert it all into a Game Pass Unlimited subscription for a nominal amount?

WHY HAS NO ONE MENTIONED THIS? If only someone could point people to a post of some description that explains how it is done. Think of the money we could all save!

I actually think this will literally be my only outlay on games for the foreseeable future. There's just so much on GP, why would I spend any more? I'm even thinking I'm not going to get Injustice 3 when it comers out, since it's bound to arrive on GP at some point. And I'm a massive fan of the series.

5 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

oooooooh I've got my 360 Hori RAP. I might give that a go.

After a lot (a LOT!) of messing around, I got my MAME PC to recognise my arcade control panel as two X360 controllers. I have it set up so the lower left and right buttons are the toms, while the top left and right buttons are rim shots. Had a wee two player game with my eldest and it was amazing fun! If you don’t have a drum controller, an arcade stick is definitely the way to go for big clicky buttons!

As a Playstation gamer since the Original Playstation I thought the world of Xbox would always be closed to me as I have quite a PSN library built up.  When it was announced that the PS4 & Xbox One would be ditching Backwards Compatibility for preceding generations I did think of switching to Xbox but then all the Xbox One DRM stuff killed that thought stone dead.  I’ve now built up quite a library of PS4 stuff & thought the next step would be a PS5 (when I can eventually get one) but I think Gamepass may now have flipped all that on it's head.  I've been looking through the Gamepass Library & there's loads of stuff I would like to try but haven't as I didn't know whether I would like it as well as all the stuff I missed out on from never having an Xbox.

I’ve been considering getting a cheap Xbox One X & Gamepass so I can experience all that stuff but I'm wondering if I should do that or wait & see if Sony come up with anything similar?

32 minutes ago, Jarik said:

I've been considering getting a cheap Xbox One X & Gamepass so I can experience all that stuff but I'm wondering if I should do that or wait & see if Sony come up with anything similar?

I mean, there's also the option of playing a lot of that on stuff on PC. Might be worth looking at that way first if you have a pc that can stuff before investing in an xbox if you're a bit on the fence. 

Just now, Varsity said:

I mean, there's also the option of playing a lot of that on stuff on PC. Might be worth looking at that way first if you have a pc that can stuff before investing in an xbox if you're a bit on the fence. 

My PC is an older Laptop used only for work so that's out, but I have a spare power point, input on my TV & space under it that an Xbox One would fit neatly into.

I have a load of CEX Credit that I could use to get one of their Xbox One X's & £10 for month for lowest tier of Gamepass seems like a ridiculously good deal.

There's only 2 things that are holding me back really.  Can you download the games to play locally (My Internet is great at downloads & streaming, but flaky at Online Play & Cloud Play) & how difficult/easy easy is it to stop/restart your Game Pass sub should it be necessary?

All games are downloadable locally.

You can’t ‘pause’ your gamepass sub, but if it expires you can just resub at a later date. If you are paying on a monthly basis then you just stop the recurring payment. It should be noted however that this is by far and away the most expensive way to pay for GP.

You can cancel Gamepass whenever you want if you're just paying month to month.

Unless you really want the disc drive, I think a Series S is probably a better value proposition if you want the machine for Gamepass primarily. A brand new one isn't that much more expensive than a second hand One X is and you'll be able to play all current gen games on it whereas a One X will see new releases slowly dry up over the next couple of years.

The only downside is that if you're using it a lot for backwards compatibility, the versions you'd be playing on Series S are often not as enhanced as they would be on One X. So it's kind of a choice between a disc drive and some better enhanced backwards compatibility games on the One X versus being future-proofed for the current gen with the Series S (albeit at more like 1080p resolutions).

Thought I'd give Ori and the Blind Forest a go.

Lovely looking game but fucking hell it's tough in places!!  I think by the time I'm done with it, I'll have died more than I've ever died in any game before.

24 minutes ago, Jarik said:

My PC is an older Laptop used only for work so that's out, but I have a spare power point, input on my TV & space under it that an Xbox One would fit neatly into.

I have a load of CEX Credit that I could use to get one of their Xbox One X's & £10 for month for lowest tier of Gamepass seems like a ridiculously good deal.

There's only 2 things that are holding me back really.  Can you download the games to play locally (My Internet is great at downloads & streaming, but flaky at Online Play & Cloud Play) & how difficult/easy easy is it to stop/restart your Game Pass sub should it be necessary?

Persoanlly I'd recommend a Series S, just for the speed alone, but if you do want a One X, I've got one sat here doing nothing that you could have for a good price. Let me know where you land and we can sort something out if you want.

S is great value for money regardless imo. I'm not exactly flush with cash but my OG xbox one died back in October. 

Bought an S on Amazon and paid £50 a month till a week ago. The difference between that and an earlier model is night and day, quicker load times being a godsend. 

I thought the limited space might be an issue but I still have an external drive for games that aren't optimised and having limited space internally pushes me more towards actually completing games before getting distracted by sommat else as I can't actually install new stuff unless I delete what I have. Finally started to carve through my backlog because of it.

Still plan to get an X at some point in the future but the S was well worth the investment and it's so compact and quiet too. 

1 hour ago, CrichStand said:

I was sort of in a similar boat to yourself, although I loved my og Xbox and 360. I bought a Series S last week to give it a go and try out Gamepass, plus I also had some digital games from back in the 360 days I wanted to replay. I’m pretty wary of digital only and sub services but I can safely say that the Series S, Gamepass and the backwards compatibility have been absolutely brilliant so far......in fact a bit of a revelation!  I’ve been playing FH5, Halo Infinite, Daytona, Banjo Nuts and Bolts, Art of Rally, Hexic, Lake and have also downloaded Dragon Quest Builders 2, Firewatch and Microsoft Flight Sim, which I’ve yet to try plus there are loads of others i now want to give a go. So yeah, I’ve gone from being very wary to absolutely loving it, at least in the short term. How these services pan out in the long run is a different story.

That said, I’ve had a PS5 since launch. The first party Sony stuff is currently a whole level above the Xbox stuff in terms of quality and being “next gen”, and I can’t see that changing anytime soon. My PS5 will now be used to mainly play Sony first party and exclusive games, much like I buy Nintendo consoles for Zelda and Mario etc. I’ll use the Series S to play any other stuff that comes to Gamepass. That may change depending on Sony’s upcoming new subscription service.

My advice would be to wait it out for now and see what Sony’s Gamepass alternative entails, unless you really want to play the Microsoft exclusives........in which case I’d say just get a Series S. 

Glad you’re enjoying it, DQB2 is one of my favourite games - I wish more people here were into it. 

What do you think of Infinite btw? 

55 minutes ago, Varsity said:

S is great value for money regardless imo. I'm not exactly flush with cash but my OG xbox one died back in October. 

Bought an S on Amazon and paid £50 a month till a week ago. The difference between that and an earlier model is night and day, quicker load times being a godsend. 

I thought the limited space might be an issue but I still have an external drive for games that aren't optimised and having limited space internally pushes me more towards actually completing games before getting distracted by sommat else as I can't actually install new stuff unless I delete what I have. Finally started to carve through my backlog because of it.

Still plan to get an X at some point in the future but the S was well worth the investment and it's so compact and quiet too. 

Yeah, I can’t get over the price to performance with the S, it’s phenomenal value for money. They dropped to £210 on Amazon the other day too but are back up now, so for anyone considering one it’s worth keeping an eye out on there. 

I initially thought the limited space would be a big problem as it’s something that bugs me on PS5 but I’ve currently got 10 games on the S with room for a couple more small to mid sized games, so it’s pretty much spot on.

Can see me possibly getting an X in the future if the S starts to struggle but going on stuff like FH5 Microsoft have done an amazing job and I think they’ve played a blinder with the S. Fantastic console, that could easily go on to be one of my all time favs!