Xbox Game Pass - GUIDE TO BEST DEAL IN FIRST POST

Harsin

1 minute ago, deerokus said:

It has. This is Lawn Mowing Simulator. I had no idea there was more than one.

The one that's already on Game Pass is called Lawn Mowing Simulator.

1 minute ago, moosegrinder said:

Yeah I thought this was a different one. It is not. So fuck knows.

It seems it's the Xbox one version or something. The series version was the one added last year. Or the other way round maybe 

I'm relieved to work this out and not feel like I have dementia.

Little things but pleasing to finally get the PC version of Alice as for some reason it was also never part of Origin Basic.

Although a quick Google suggests it’s locked to 30fps and a pretty ropey port so maybe I should just do another play through of the 360 version as it’s BC

3 hours ago, Varsity said:

The original Alice was verrrrrry ropey when I last played it as part of madness returns. 

An example of nostalgia but actually playing it made me realise how far we'd come haha. 

Its Madness Returns that’s been added to PC Gamepass  (although I think the original Alice is free DLC within the game).

Madness Returns was still fabulous when I last played the 360 version about 18 months ago but yeah the original Alice is probably safely left in the past.

I played through Madness Returns from start to finish on Xbox BC just last month! Still a wonderful little game. Was a breath of fresh air playing such a 360 era-feeling platformer with such a different look amidst all the cinematic sandbox experiences we have nowadays.

Had the same experience with the cel-shaded Prince of Persiaa few months earlier. Disliked it originally, but trying it again now it's just so refreshing. Unlike the two generations before it, most games from the 360 era look and play as great as they ever did, it's usually only the resolution holding them back - but you quickly get used to that if needs be. And often you don't if it's been enhanced.

Started playing The Good Life & IMO this is exactly the kind of game Game Pass is good for trying out & if it's not your cup of tea you can just drop it & move on to something else without feeling like you've wasted your money.

I'm going to stick with it as the core gameplay & story interests me enough to do so, but it is so rough & unpolished I'm sure I wouldn't have been happy had I got it for full price or even on sale.

And that's another Gamepass game finished! Unpacking......really enjoyed it, quite unique and a cool little idea, with some lovely graphics and nice sounds. Really relaxing and oddly compelling, especially considering I can't stand tidying stuff up in real life - 7/10.

Then I looked up how much the game costs to buy, (as I have been doing with every Gamepass game I've finished). £17!?!? Fucking hell!!! 

What's weird is.......essentially played for free - 7/10. If I'd bought it (I'd never have bought it) for £17, I'd have felt well ripped off and the game would have seemed more like a 4 maybe 5/10.  

In other news......Ori and the Blind Forest is quality. About half way through and absolutely loving it. I'm currently enjoying Gamepass, and its wide variety of games so much that, I've barely touched the PS5 in weeks.

Just now, CrichStand said:

And that's another Gamepass game finished! Unpacking......really enjoyed it, quite unique and a cool little idea, with some lovely graphics and nice sounds. Really relaxing and oddly compelling, especially considering I can't stand tidying stuff up in real life - 7/10.

Then I looked up how much the game costs to buy, (as I have been doing with every Gamepass game I've finished). £17!?!? Fucking hell!!! 

What's weird is.......essentially played for free - 7/10. If I'd bought it (I'd never have bought it) for £17, I'd have felt well ripped off and the game would have seemed more like a 4 maybe 5/10.  

In other news......Ori and the Blind Forest is quality. About half way through and absolutely loving it. I'm currently enjoying Gamepass, and its wide variety of games so much that, I've barely touched the PS5 in weeks.

Ori is mint.

And I agree that, despite really enjoying Unpacking last year, I'd have felt short-changed if I had paid £17 for it. I like to think that a game's value doesn't equate to its cost, but often that isn't borne out by my actual experience.

32 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Ori is mint.

And I agree that, despite really enjoying Unpacking last year, I'd have felt short-changed if I had paid £17 for it. I like to think that a game's value doesn't equate to its cost, but often that isn't borne out by my actual experience.

Yeah, it’s proper awesome. One of the best Platformers I’ve ever played. Love how old school it feels and the Risk/Reward mechanic that opens up because of the save system. Just unlocked some new moves too which are really clever and implemented well. 

Definitely shows how cool Gamepass is. Would never have played Unpacking without it and as odd as it sounds, there’s no doubt that by playing it through Gamepass for “free” it somehow makes it feel more enjoyable. Not sure that’s the right way of putting it.

Actually, it is in some respects........I’ve noticed that when I’ve paid for a game, sometimes I’ll make it last as long as possible to get my money’s worth or I might be that focused on whether it’s coming to an end, I don’t just sit back and enjoy it as much as I should. With Gamepass that all evaporates. I can just blast through a game, enjoy doing that and then move onto the next one I want to play. Fells good!

Its been a massive eye opener being back on Xbox and using Gamepass these past few weeks. The Series S is such a great console and combined with Gamepass it’s really fired up my passion for gaming again. There’s an amazing amount of variety on offer, and new stuff to try out, which counts for a lot. 

What's great about gamepass is that it's properly curated by people who clearly love games themselves. They don't just put any old rubbish on to be able to claim there's thousands of games. Anything on there is at least worth a try. Hats off to Microsoft for getting this right :hat:

Gorogoa is a trip. I put it down for the night because I got stuck but I'm sure it's one of those things I come back to fresh and figure out straight away.

Every few minutes I felt like my brain was melting at how things fit together even if half of it felt more like luck or happy accident than brainpower.

54 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

CrossfireX_cover_art.jpg.274f2a046209bdc0627212e1a03b1d99.jpg

It's a rather weird one, the Multiplayer that everyone is ragging on for this game is actually free to play so not Gamepass. I don't think the Campaign (the first part of which is on Gamepass) is actually that bad, if a little generic.

Whole Crossfire situation is straight up bizarre though (How Remedy came to be involved etc).