IGNORED

Xbox Game Pass - GUIDE TO BEST DEAL IN FIRST POST

Harsin

1 minute ago, Azrael said:

The recommendations for It Takes Two were great, hilarious fun playing that with my brother. So many betrayals and I'm currently undefeated in the Tug of War minigame. 

I've never played a Yakuza game and see there's quite a few on Gamepass, where should I start? 

0 tbh but its left GP unfortunately. I wouldn't start on 3 the earliest there atm.

So probably Like a Dragon even though its completely different to all the others.

Confusing sorry but ask in the big Yakuza thread here. Lots of helpful fans there.

11 hours ago, Azrael said:

The recommendations for It Takes Two were great, hilarious fun playing that with my brother. So many betrayals and I'm currently undefeated in the Tug of War minigame. 

I've never played a Yakuza game and see there's quite a few on Gamepass, where should I start? 

Yakuza 0, Judgment, and Yakuza Like A Dragon are all excellent starting points. Like A Dragon afaik is the only one on game pass. It's turn based, all the others are real time brawlers. Other than the combat system they're the exact same kind of wonderful game and of course all part of this brilliant series.

Frustratingly, it doesn't seem that the conversion page is working properly this afternoon. My Ultimate ran out today, so I bought and loaded up 3 years' worth of Xbox Live Gold codes from CD Keys, and then selected the upgrade to Game Pass Ultimate option. The page to do this is hanging on my PC and then returning to the 'continue' prompt, and on my Xbox dashboard it gets to the £10.99 payment screen and then says there's a problem. Aaaaargh.

EDIT: working now, hooray!

46 minutes ago, Eighthours said:

Frustratingly, it doesn't seem that the conversion page is working properly this afternoon. My Ultimate ran out today, so I bought and loaded up 3 years' worth of Xbox Live Gold codes from CD Keys, and then selected the upgrade to Game Pass Ultimate option. The page to do this is hanging on my PC and then returning to the 'continue' prompt, and on my Xbox dashboard it gets to the £10.99 payment screen and then says there's a problem. Aaaaargh.

I think you should have waited a day.

Nothing is really appealing on GP at the moment, was getting a bit worried there was nothing to play then I vageuly recalled playing a few levels of Hitman but not getting very far. Fired it up today and been playing non stop, must have clocked up 6 hours.  Couldn't believe just how much content they've packed in for free, seems to have all of the DLC that was released and I'll be in the world of Agent47 for weeks at this rate.

I have had my XBox Series X for a couple month now, and have played and completed Lake, the brilliant Edith Finch, Halo Infinite.  I have a few on the go at the moment, but the game which gets most of my time for the last month or so is the original 1993 classic Doom.   I have played it many times of course, my plan is to work through every Doom game on Game Pass on Ultra-Violence difficulty.  I completed the original game and the first listed expansion, and have started the second Doom addon, Arrival, and am now onto map 6.   Holy shit this one can be difficult at times, its brilliant though and there is nothing like Doom.

I completed LIS True Colors, which I thought was magnificent, the two central characters Alex and Steph are just so strong and the way the game conveys the facial emotion is astounding to me.

I started also Visage which, as someone who loves horror movies and games, was going to be right up my alley, but I reached a point where I literally have no idea what to do (other than cheat the answer) and got frustrated with it.  I imagine I will return to it at some point.

is anybody else having problems claiming hydro thunder? every time i try it takes me to the store page and tries to make me buy it. But the others are fine??

1 hour ago, 5R7 said:

is anybody else having problems claiming hydro thunder? every time i try it takes me to the store page and tries to make me buy it. But the others are fine??

This has happened before, it'll be some fuckery on the back end they'll sort out at some point.

Some big hitters leaving in the middle of this month:

GTA San Andreas

Steep

The Wild at Heart

The Catch

Enter the Gungeon

I've had The Wild at Heart on my "must check that out" list for ages without it ever quite reaching the top of the pile - shame. Doesn't feel like it's been on there long.

15 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

I thought Streets of Rage 4 was leaving? Have they changed their mind on that?

I think that was in the last batch that left, at the end of April.

That's really frustrating as it was still on Game Pass on the first. I thought they'd changed their mind as it's happened before. It also obliterates my theory of shit being on sale before it disappears from Game Pass.

1 hour ago, Garwoofoo said:

Some big hitters leaving in the middle of this month:

GTA San Andreas

Steep

The Wild at Heart

The Catch

Enter the Gungeon

I've had The Wild at Heart on my "must check that out" list for ages without it ever quite reaching the top of the pile - shame. Doesn't feel like it's been on there long.

Also Final Fantasy X/X2 and Remnant From The Ashes.

15 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

It also obliterates my theory of shit being on sale before it disappears from Game Pass.

11 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

Also Final Fantasy X/X2 and Remnant From The Ashes.

Fwiw FFX/X2 *is* on sale atm as part of the golden week sale

I think you get always a 20% discount on Game Pass titles if you want to buy them, too - that's probably as good a "sale" as some titles get, in the run-up to disappearing from the service.

11 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

I think you get always a 20% discount on Game Pass titles if you want to buy them, too - that's probably as good a "sale" as some titles get, in the run-up to disappearing from the service.

Yes, that's probably what @moosegrinder was thinking of because there's never an additional sale on top of that for titles that are leaving - it's just that with so many sales going on all the time, titles are often coincidentally part of some sale at that time. Like FFX currently.

IF it's any consolation moosey, SoR4 pops up in sales fairly frequently - you won't have to wait long.

I wonder how many sales they get from people halfway through a game before it gets cancelled. This is why I'm reticent to try anything 'big' if it isn't Microsoft owned and has been on more than a few months. I'm happy to usually stick to stuff I can finish in a week or two.

1 hour ago, moosegrinder said:

Yeah I'd just noticed shit that was leaving tends to be in the weekly Gold sale, like Enter The Gungeon went on sale today. Probably just up to the publisher or whatever and not a trend.

It would make sense that some publishers actually do take advantage of the timing. Probably nets them a nice bunch of extra sales. But it's not an official Microsoft policy.

48 minutes ago, James Lyon said:

I wonder how many sales they get from people halfway through a game before it gets cancelled. This is why I'm reticent to try anything 'big' if it isn't Microsoft owned and has been on more than a few months. I'm happy to usually stick to stuff I can finish in a week or two.

By my logic you're taking the completely wrong approach here. Let me explain:

Suppose I start a big game and I'm halfway through when it leaves GP. There's two possible scenarios:

1) I like it enough to want to continue playing and because it's now been a year or so since it came to GP, it'll probably pop up in a sale at 50% or more off. Money saved: not only did I avoid buying at full price, I'm absolutely sure that it's a game I enjoy enough to play until the end or at least fairly close to it.

2) I've decided I've had my fill. Either it didn't click, or it became samey, or I just drifted off. Whatever the case, I'm not bothering with a purchase even at 50 or even 80%. Result: more money saved! Money that I can put towards a different game.

With the way you're doing it, you'll never be able to take advantage of scenario 2. Even at 80% off you're still taking a risk.

Might need to buy SoR4 now, was quite enjoying that as a quick pick up and play. Also my niece was liking it too,  though now sure how suitable that is considering she's 4. 

I'm sure I have had instances of buying a game in a sale, only for it to be announced for Gamepass weeks later. Luck of the draw with these things I suppose.

1 hour ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

It would make sense that some publishers actually do take advantage of the timing. Probably nets them a nice bunch of extra sales. But it's not an official Microsoft policy.

By my logic you're taking the completely wrong approach here. Let me explain:

Suppose I start a big game and I'm halfway through when it leaves GP. There's two possible scenarios:

1) I like it enough to want to continue playing and because it's now been a year or so since it came to GP, it'll probably pop up in a sale at 50% or more off. Money saved: not only did I avoid buying at full price, I'm absolutely sure that it's a game I enjoy enough to play until the end or at least fairly close to it.

2) I've decided I've had my fill. Either it didn't click, or it became samey, or I just drifted off. Whatever the case, I'm not bothering with a purchase even at 50 or even 80%. Result: more money saved! Money that I can put towards a different game.

With the way you're doing it, you'll never be able to take advantage of scenario 2. Even at 80% off you're still taking a risk.

That does make sense. Although I play on PC and cloud so sometimes it's just the case that I'd rather buy it on Steam due to usually being cheaper - I might also get it in a Humble Choice bundle sometimes, too. I think you're able to transfer some saves from PC Game Pass to Steam but it's harder / impossible to do with console or cloud, so I'd have to start again or pay more than I want to.

It would be nice if, instead of failing with a cryptic license error, games which have left Game Pass and are subsequently opened tell you why you can't play and take you to the game's store page. I keep having to explain the error to my kids.

I really don't keep track of these things, but some titles "feel" like they've been on for ages and others seem to come and go in a blink. I mean, it's all good, but I think the games we're into now I will at the very least keep on my wish list and half keep an eye out in regular sales.