IGNORED

Xbox Game Pass - GUIDE TO BEST DEAL IN FIRST POST

Harsin

4 hours ago, bradigor said:

Not at all. It's all about choice. MS and Valve are changing the gaming landscape right now. 

I can play an obscene amount of games in so many ways.

Indeed. I was just saying that we won't need Xbox consoles to play Xbox games soon or a PC....

13 minutes ago, MattyP said:

Indeed. I was just saying that we won't need Xbox consoles to play Xbox games soon or a PC....

Smart way of trying to appeal to part of the audience who'd never buy an Xbox: hey you want to play Elder Scrolls 6 but only have a playstation? You can pay £1 for a 1 month trial to play it directly on your television with your dualsense!

I mean... If you're an ES fan without an Xbox or capable pc, wouldn't you be tempted?

5 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Smart way of trying to appeal to part of the audience who'd never buy an Xbox: hey you want to play Elder Scrolls 6 but only have a playstation? You can pay £1 for a 1 month trial to play it directly on your television with your dualsense!

I mean... If you're an ES fan without an Xbox or capable pc, wouldn't you be tempted?

As a bonus it will have exactly the same mod support as the PS version.

11 minutes ago, layten said:

As a bonus it will have exactly the same mod support as the PS version.

Ha, indeed! So exactly the same experience as playing it on an actual playstation except it doesn't cost £70 

6 minutes ago, James Lyon said:

I'm all for a cloud-based, no hardware Xbox. But only if all games stick around indefinitely rather than vanishing after a year or so.

I'm not sure this really matters so much for a subscription service does it? I expect first party stuff to stick around indefinitely other than licencing issues. Like the loss of say older Forza Horizon games is annoying to a select few but most will just play what is available now.

For third party I fully expect games to come and go as they do now. And that seems better to me than a constantly expanding library that introduces more pressure on increasing the subscription price. If I've not played it in maybe there year it was on the service then maybe it'll be back before I get to it. If I started and it's leaving then I guess I can buy it. Although I'd appreciate a good heads up (say a month in advance clear statements, including personalised notifications to say something I played is leaving).

Of course for digital titles one buys then yes. They need to remain available but that's a different thing.

This is all on the assumption of no change from the current status. XCloud is just an alternative way to play Xbox games (be they Game Pass or digital games you own).

15 minutes ago, James Lyon said:

I'm all for a cloud-based, no hardware Xbox. But only if all games stick around indefinitely rather than vanishing after a year or so.

They just announced yesterday that they're adding the ability to stream games you bought digitally without them being on game pass

1 hour ago, thesnwmn said:

I'm not sure this really matters so much for a subscription service does it? I expect first party stuff to stick around indefinitely other than licencing issues. Like the loss of say older Forza Horizon games is annoying to a select few but most will just play what is available now.

Sure, there'll always be stuff to play. I'm just talking about the pipe dream of paying a monthly fee and getting anything you want at any time. That's probably unsustainable, though. 

1 hour ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

They just announced yesterday that they're adding the ability to stream games you bought digitally without them being on game pass

This is more like it. As long as the prices are decent.

15 minutes ago, James Lyon said:

This is more like it. As long as the prices are decent.

Almost constant sales, a game you want will crop up eventually.

This "from your library" stuff feels like it might get more traction, honestly.

7 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Absolutely. MS are removing any barriers to entry to their content. Play it on whatever. Just subscribe to our service. It's a good strategy. It is certainly going to shake things up a bit. I know game streaming has been around for a while but think MS have the money and knowledge to make it work. Also broadband speeds and latency is improving all the time. Not that you can ever remove latency issues completely.

2 hours ago, Keir said:

I literally just did it 2 minutes ago.

My top tip for the day - buy the 3 month codes from CDKeys, currently on offer for £7.99.

Add them one at a time, and turn on automatic billing, as bizarrely it will give you the month free for a 3 month code too.  Each time you redeem a code, turn back off the automatic billing, to get 4 months for each code.  Rinse and repeat 9 times (it takes a while, as CDKeys will only sell you 2 at a time, but it's worth it!)

I just stacked 3 years for £72 (slightly less actually, as you can use the code PAYPAL5 on one of the transactions, and I cashed in my "CD coins" on another), then upgrade the whole lot for £10.99 - so around £83 total and I am sorted until June 2025!

Do I have to wait for mine to expire for this to work when entering the codes do you know? It's due to expire in about 2 weeks, so was going to stock up anyway - my preference would be to start loading up the codes now if I can though

1 minute ago, weezer9957 said:

Do I have to wait for mine to expire for this to work when entering the codes do you know? It's due to expire in about 2 weeks, so was going to stock up anyway - my preference would be to start loading up the codes now if I can though

If you enter gold codes while your ultimate sub is still active they'll get converted at a terrible conversion rate. Like 12 months gold is 2 months game pass Ultimate.

Let it expire. Follow the first post to the letter, don't try to improvise. First you add gold. Then you convert that entire gold period to the same amount of time for game pass ultimate.

20 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

If you enter gold codes while your ultimate sub is still active they'll get converted at a terrible conversion rate. Like 12 months gold is 2 months game pass Ultimate.

Let it expire. Follow the first post to the letter, don't try to improvise. First you add gold. Then you convert that entire gold period to the same amount of time for game pass ultimate.

noted, i've bought the codes so just got to sit on them for a few weeks

1 hour ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

3 months Gold = 50 Days Ultimate

15 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Only if you are subscribed to Game Pass Ultimate though. 

17 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

So would this mean that games I bought on the 360 would be available? Say something like OutRun 2 Coast to Coast for example?

9 minutes ago, Fletch said:

So would this mean that games I bought on the 360 would be available? Say something like OutRun 2 Coast to Coast for example?

That would need to be BC first... If they aren't even allowed to put it on BC due to licensing issues, there's simply no way they could possibly offer it through Xcloud.

Sadly :(

So my $1 GPU finally expired. I waited another day for the quests to stop working in the Game Pass app and for Solitaire to start showing me ads (good grief... I subscribed to it for so long prior to this being a perk that I had forgotten how bad the ads are) before I started the process.

Spent 200k rewards points on 10x 3 month Gold codes through MS. Interestingly, codes redeemed through points are not subject to a free month for renewal, it's not even an option. Then because I was 40k points short, I grabbed a 6 month code for $39 from Amazon, as there doesn't seem to be many folks doing cheap codes. This did have the option for auto renew, but that would have taken me to 37 months, so wouldn't work. Ah well - had I thought about it, perhaps I should have got this first and then inched closer to 36 months 1 month at a time. Whatever.

Once Gold was stacked through June 2025, I did the "upgrade to GPU" thing through the account management website, under subscriptions. Man, this screen really looks like it's going to bill you the full $14.99 a month for GPU. I even checked my order history and credit card to make sure, but no, single charge of $14.99 (I guess this is the 10.99 for you?) and now I'm GPU through 2025. Awesome.

SSD expansion next on the rewards agenda.

5 minutes ago, TehStu said:

So my $1 GPU finally expired. I waited another day for the quests to stop working in the Game Pass app and for Solitaire to start showing me ads (good grief... I subscribed to it for so long prior to this being a perk that I had forgotten how bad the ads are) before I started the process.

Spent 200k rewards points on 10x 3 month Gold codes through MS. Interestingly, codes redeemed through points are not subject to a free month for renewal, it's not even an option. Then because I was 40k points short, I grabbed a 6 month code for $39 from Amazon, as there doesn't seem to be many folks doing cheap codes. This did have the option for auto renew, but that would have taken me to 37 months, so wouldn't work. Ah well - had I thought about it, perhaps I should have got this first and then inched closer to 36 months 1 month at a time. Whatever.

Once Gold was stacked through June 2025, I did the "upgrade to GPU" thing through the account management website, under subscriptions. Man, this screen really looks like it's going to bill you the full $14.99 a month for GPU. I even checked my order history and credit card to make sure, but no, single charge of $14.99 (I guess this is the 10.99 for you?) and now I'm GPU through 2025. Awesome.

SSD expansion next on the rewards agenda.

This is such a boring post. There’s no twist!

9 minutes ago, TehStu said:

Man, this screen really looks like it's going to bill you the full $14.99 a month for GPU. I even checked my order history and credit card to make sure, but no, single charge of $14.99

This worried me when I did it too, it’s why I specifically mentioned it in the instructions, you just have to have faith in the process!