Xbox Game Pass - GUIDE TO BEST DEAL IN FIRST POST

Harsin

Looking for recommendations for arcade, quick ten minute blast type games on GP? Thinking something in a twin-stick or vertical scrolling shooter vein?

Been playing a lot of Sniper Elite 5 of late and fancy something a bit less involved and a bit less gritty and realistic 

11 hours ago, Mortis said:

Just completed Beacon Pines, a wholly charming few hours with an entertaining story and likeable cast. 
 It’s basically a visual novel and never taxing but well worth a play through.  

I'm about an hour in and loving it too.  Music is very good as well. 

There’s only a couple of mild swears - no idea why they felt the need as it’s entirely unnecessary.

It’s no worse than what you’d find in any marvel movie though (from what I recall)

5 hours ago, ScouserInExile said:

Looking for recommendations for arcade, quick ten minute blast type games on GP? Thinking something in a twin-stick or vertical scrolling shooter vein?

Been playing a lot of Sniper Elite 5 of late and fancy something a bit less involved and a bit less gritty and realistic 

Not shooting, but Disc Room.

1 hour ago, Fletch said:

Started Beacon Pines last night and really enjoyed what I played, thought it would be good for my son until the Shit charm turned up. 

Same here! Seemed really pointless. 

Yeah it’s brill. Been looking forward to it coming to consoles for a while and was perfect Friday night gaming last night. 

Feels really chunky and love the aesthetic. Reminds me of Alien Resurrection or something on PS1. (But good) 

On 21/09/2022 at 12:30, Graham S said:

The Procession to Calvary Is leaving a week on Friday. It’s 2.5 hours long. Worth a look?

I played through it last night. Calling something a perfect for GamePass game is a bit of a backhanded compliment now but I feel like it fits here. Its a short game but being able to  shelve the idea of "value" helps it as you can just enjoy it for what it is. 

Another upvote for Beacon Pines.  Fore some reason I was expecting a rogue lite kinda game (I've no clue why) and was a bit surprised to find out it's a fairly straight forward visual novel. At first I didn't find it all very engaging but as soon as the story kicks off I was hooked. 

I'm really loving the visual style and the sense of place is really well done. The city layout actually looks like a city and it's just a joy walking around having short conversations with the people (read: animals) populating the streets. 

It all kinda reminds me of the Richard Scarry books I used to read to my kids but this is set in a Stranger Things kinda mystery and it really works. 

So far it seems a bit more linear than expected from a "choose your own adventure" game but that might change as I progress. 

Top stuff. 

53 minutes ago, DC said:

Anyone played Moonscars? I’ve just downloaded it.

Played the demo a few months back. It was proper nails then (and I doubt they've changed that) but felt pretty good to play. I've also just downloaded it but my kids are monopolising the Xbox for Disney Dreamlight Valley at the moment :( Will have to put it on PC instead.

Thought I'd give Immortals a go and its bloody great, isn't it? So much Zelda love sprinkled with a bit of charm and Assassins Creed Odyssey. 

All this is good with me. As is the fact that it's a fuckton easier than Elden Ring...

Do games ever come back on GamePass? I started playing Hades but got sidetracked for a bit and now I've gone back to play it and realised it was taken off last month. I'll probably buy it if it's not likely to come back on for a few months.

18 minutes ago, Rockboy said:

Do games ever come back on GamePass? I started playing Hades but got sidetracked for a bit and now I've gone back to play it and realised it was taken off last month. I'll probably buy it if it's not likely to come back on for a few months.

No reason they cannot but no one can say if they will unless MS have said they will in public.

Logically I think it's unlikely something that has just left will come back in general. It leaving suggests that either a) MS and the dev/publisher could come to new terms that suited both or b) MS didn't see it as being valuable enough to the service in terms of retention or attracting new subscribers (against its cost to them).

34 minutes ago, Rockboy said:

Yes, some have returned but it isn't common. I can't see Hades returning any time soon.

4 hours ago, Boothjan said:

Thought I'd give Immortals a go and its bloody great, isn't it? So much Zelda love sprinkled with a bit of charm and Assassins Creed Odyssey. 

Until it turns into the usual Assassins Creed map.