Xbox Game Pass

3 hours ago, Jamie John said:

What even is Fallout 76? Is it single-player, an MMO or what? I remember reading all the negative press about it when it first came out and I've just ignored it since then.

What Jamie doesn't mention is that he runs Bethesda. 

I'm looking forward to giving 76 a go. THe wastelanders update massively improved it, from what I've seen, especially from a single player perspective. As someone who has become completely obsessed with no man's sky, I am always open to being captivated by a game that has vastly improved since release.

2 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

Vastly is stretching it a a bit...

From where it started, I think vastly is fair. It was one of the worst games ever made, on release, in my opinion.

Is the version of Forza Horizon 4 on Game Pass still worth playing for single-player? I've read a couple of comments saying stuff along the lines of it's a mess without the DLC, which I'm assuming doesn't come with the GP version.

14 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Is the version of Forza Horizon 4 on Game Pass still worth playing for single-player? I've read a couple of comments saying stuff along the lines of it's a mess without the DLC, which I'm assuming doesn't come with the GP version.

It's fantastic, I'm not sure where you've heard that from.

• Upvote 8
53 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

The DLC stuff is in multiple parts. There are car packs and two new maps. I’ve been playing the core game for months and still have so much to do that the DLC is a way off for me yet. And of course the core game has so many different race modes, and with each weather season bringing big change it’s hard not to find plenty you will enjoy.

• Upvote 2
7 hours ago, Jamie John said:

It is 'spectacular' in that it's a literal spectacle, and the handling is great but there's zero tension as it has no bearing on your progress whether you come first or last (you even get exactly the same trophy icon on the map.) Might not bother some people but I lost all interest in playing after noticing that, I want to be encouraged to push myself and be rewarded for it in a racer.

• Upvote 2
8 hours ago, BeeJay said:

From where it started, I think vastly is fair. It was one of the worst games ever made, on release, in my opinion.

It's still got the same microtransaction bullshit (which is worse thanks to the premium subscription having shit that should be in the base game) and the game itself is still mired in the same turgid systems and weak as shit gunplay that Fallout 4 was. I guess if you  just want more Fallout then you'll dig it. I thought I wanted more Fallout and it turns out I didn't.

Edit: what this does mean is that Doom Eternal won't be coming to the Game Pass anytime soon as, looking historically, Bethesda only have one game at a time. Could be wrong, mind.

Wolfenstein Youngblood and Rage 2 are on Game Pass and it hasn't stopped them adding Fallout '76. I'm not sure that rule is a thing.

9 hours ago, Jamie John said:

The 2 DLC areas are both an actual magical fast travel from the main island and don't affect it at all so all you're missing is some cars.

And given the biggest failure of Forza Horizon is you can do about 90% of the standard events using just 2 cars anyway, possibly even 1 then that's minor at best.

2 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

It's still got the same microtransaction bullshit (which is worse thanks to the premium subscription having shit that should be in the base game) and the game itself is still mired in the same turgid systems and weak as shit gunplay that Fallout 4 was. I guess if you  just want more Fallout then you'll dig it. I thought I wanted more Fallout and it turns out I didn't.

I adored Fallout 3 and NV and I've attempted 4 three times now and ended up giving up, so I'm assuming 76 isn't for me.

2 hours ago, Jamie John said:

To appear on Game Pass? Yes, I think so.

Plus it had a huge Sony ad campaign behind it. Ironically there is still a bus stop near me with a faded PS4 Doom Eternal poster from when it launched back in March (or whenever it was) that still hasn't been taken down because of the Lockdown apocalypse.

• Upvote 2

Everything that I've seen and read about Doom Eternal suggests that it isn't for me, even though the 2016 predecessor is one of my favorite shooters of all time. Game Pass seems like the perfect way to give it a chance, and I'm perfectly happy to wait since I have zero hype for the game. Game Pass is perfect for this, sometimes it turns out I was wrong and I love it after all, sometimes I was right all along but no money wasted.

• Upvote 2

No you first buy three years of Gold and redeem that to your account, Then you go for the £1 offer and it all converts to three years of Game Pass Ultimate (3 years of Game Pass and 3 years of Games with Gold and Xbox Live)

7 hours ago, Jackson said:

It is 'spectacular' in that it's a literal spectacle, and the handling is great but there's zero tension as it has no bearing on your progress whether you come first or last (you even get exactly the same trophy icon on the map.) Might not bother some people but I lost all interest in playing after noticing that, I want to be encouraged to push myself and be rewarded for it in a racer.

That's true for some of it, but I found the game came alive when focusing almost entirely on the weekly seasonal content (unlocks at lvl20). That mode gives specific rewards for coming 1st in hand-picked championships at higher AI skill levels, as well as encouraging you to try out other things like PR stunts, skill-chaining etc, all for specific rewards. While doing that I've also found myself working towards other goals, such as buying properties (for more convenient garage access) and ticking off achievements for my daily MS Rewards points.

Ultimately I've found it to be an extremely rewarding loop that has taken me on a journey of different cars, classes, car tunes, and race/activity types, all the time enjoying the amazing handling and environment. Like you, I've struggled to get into racing games for years now due to the glut of content and lack of structure, but the 'Gaas' nature of FH4 just clicked with me. A limited number of hand-picked events each week really works in my opinion.

It takes a while to find the gold in amongst the sea of activities and map icons, but since I got into the groove it's gone on to become perhaps my favourite racer ever.

• Upvote 8