rllmuk
Harsin

Xbox Game Pass

5 hours ago, monkeydog said:

I played the intro section of the  Observation on GP.  Love the idea (you're the AI that controls the systems aboard a failing space station).  Totally forgot to check it out last year.  I've a feeling it might be a little too stressful for me as it progresses.  I've no idea yet if the more scifi stuff that's incoming will float my boat either.  The station so far feels really quite authentic.  Graphically it's really helped by lots of camera artifacts.  Shame that the performance capture is not as good as a bigger budget would have allowed.  It lets down the performance and  mood a little. 

I just finished it today (second session with it). Really loved it. Interesting story. Some nice puzzles. Doesn’t outstay it’s welcome. Some of it is a little confusing as to what you’re supposed to do and I got a bit lost a few times but had a blast.

• Upvote 1

On 03/07/2020 at 09:51, sir stiff_one said:

I’m surprised you can’t stream from Spotify in any of these games.

I often wondered why indie developers didn't do this - let you log into Spotify, and then use it for in-game music like GTA's radio stations, with a huge library to choose from but with none of the licensing costs.

Well I looked it up, and it looks like it's against their developer Ts & Cs:

Games and trivia quizzes. Unless you receive Spotify’s written approval, you shall not use the Spotify Platform to incorporate Spotify Content into any game functionality (including trivia quizzes).

Synchronization. You may not synchronize any sound recordings accessed through the Spotify Platform with any visual media, including any advertising, film, television program, slideshow, video, or similar content.

Not too surprising. Another reason is that few indie developers are going to spend time working on functionality that's already right there on your desktop or phone. STS allowing internet radio in Euro Truck was a pleasant exception, of course, but an exception it's likely to remain.

I was thinking more like using specific music at certain points - the game could trigger e.g. a particular Beatles song as a soundtrack to a cutscene for instance, or even have levels designed around / synchronized to songs they wouldn't be able to otherwise license.

Yes, I’m sure the music publishers would have had a thing or two to say about it, hence the restrictions. Still, would’ve been cool to see what game developers could have come up with. 

Think it's pretty clear the best use of Spotify integration would be to have music sound like it's coming from the ship's speakers in Elite. More immersive space trucking, please.

18 hours ago, wavey said:

I was thinking more like using specific music at certain points - the game could trigger e.g. a particular Beatles song as a soundtrack to a cutscene for instance, or even have levels designed around / synchronized to songs they wouldn't be able to otherwise license.

Aside from licensing, another issue with this is it leaves the game at the mercy of Spotify's music deals and API. Is the game still going to play that song in a year? In five?

If you're going to use a streaming service in a game, your best bet (licensing notwithstanding) is as a sort if in-game radio where it's only the fact it's playing music at all that you're after, rather than specific track. Certainly, a lot of sports games could benefit from not playing the same 20-30 songs in the menus.

The Xbox Game Bar on PC advertises how you can connect it to Spotify while playing, so MS must have some sort of deal, just not on console.

38 minutes ago, Fry Crayola said:

Aside from licensing, another issue with this is it leaves the game at the mercy of Spotify's music deals and API. Is the game still going to play that song in a year? In five?

Sure, plus you can't really have a £10/month extra subscription as a prerequisite for playing a game. I still think there could've been some fun and interesting things indie/hobbyist devs could've done with the music, even something basic like integrating user-selected tracks into AudioShield or similar, but obviously not legally possible absent written permission.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

The Xbox Game Bar on PC advertises how you can connect it to Spotify while playing, so MS must have some sort of deal, just not on console.

Imo there's a huge difference between Spotify playing while the game is running, blasting music through everything without taking anything into account - and the game pulling in music from Spotify at certain points, starting it at points that make sense, muting or lowering when needs be. 

• Upvote 3

I don't see why you couldn't specify a playlist or 8 and have Forza Horizon treat them as radio stations.

Hell, it'd be simplicity itself to also be able to choose to "make it" Pulse and get the presenter.  Only Hospital might be a problem with that since Chris and Tony own the label.

The reason that'd work is it'd mean the game can turn the music on and off at the right time.

You could do it in an early Forza Horizon via Groove Music by loading in the MP3s I think.

• Upvote 1

On 01/07/2020 at 10:13, Skull Commander said:

I really don't think a lot of it. I used to love the series but this particular version feels clunky, tired and doesn't play as well as most of the games that came before. Also the loading times are atrocious. 

Downloaded this (Soul Calibur 6) off Gamepass to give it a second chance and although I stand by some of my original criticisms, the character creator is great fun. There is a good game hiding in here but it's pretty much ruined with the triple attack of too much dlc, crazy amounts of loading and screeds of sub fan fiction story which is beyond dull. Some nice ideas in the game but you really have to wade through a lot of crap first. 

On the loading criticism, I went back to Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown which shows how it should be done. Less than 10 seconds from the end of each fight to the start of the next and it's no slouch in the graphics department either, despite knocking on a bit now. 

13 minutes ago, Plissken said:

You could do it in an early Forza Horizon via Groove Music by loading in the MP3s I think.

I can't remember it was Forza as such but certainly Microsoft did some fannying with their proprietary shit certainly.

Test Drive Unlimited had an old school form where it would construct a radio station off files on a usb stick.

47 minutes ago, Dudley said:

I don't see why you couldn't specify a playlist or 8 and have Forza Horizon treat them as radio stations.

Hell, it'd be simplicity itself to also be able to choose to "make it" Pulse and get the presenter.  Only Hospital might be a problem with that since Chris and Tony own the label.

The reason that'd work is it'd mean the game can turn the music on and off at the right time.

But would turning it on/off or even just down the volume count as synchronisation under Spotify’s licensing terms quoted above?

• Upvote 1

TDU let you make up to 4 playlists and use the dpad to switch between them and skip tracks whilst driving. 

Forza 7 was supposed to feature your own soundtracks playing via the race track tannoy system but it never made it to launch and Groove wad dropped before they could implement it.

14 hours ago, Skull Commander said:

On the loading criticism, I went back to Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown which shows how it should be done. Less than 10 seconds from the end of each fight to the start of the next and it's no slouch in the graphics department either, despite knocking on a bit now. 

I was briefly addicted to Tekken Tag Tournment 2's ghost mode last year because if you play it on an Xbox One it's under 5 seconds wait time between matches. It might sound daft but it was a revelation, like going back to the days of SF2 on SNES. I wanted to move on to VF5 Final Showdown but the equivalent mode sadly requires you to buy two hefty chunks of undiscounted costume DLC.

A combination of the loading and matchmaking time is what turned me off Tekken 7 as well when it showed up on Gamepass sadly.

14 hours ago, Dudley said:

I can't remember it was Forza as such but certainly Microsoft did some fannying with their proprietary shit certainly.

Test Drive Unlimited had an old school form where it would construct a radio station off files on a usb stick.

I have fond memories of playing GTA3 on the original Xbox, blasting such hits as  GLC'S "Half man, half machine" from the in car radio.

• Upvote 1

It's a shame the Microsoft game store locks down games so much, to the extent of hiding them entirely from Explorer.

Because plenty of games it's an "MP3 in the music folder" job.

2 hours ago, matt0 said:

I was briefly addicted to Tekken Tag Tournment 2's ghost mode last year because if you play it on an Xbox One it's under 5 seconds wait time between matches. It might sound daft but it was a revelation, like going back to the days of SF2 on SNES. I wanted to move on to VF5 Final Showdown but the equivalent mode sadly requires you to buy two hefty chunks of undiscounted costume DLC.

A combination of the loading and matchmaking time is what turned me off Tekken 7 as well when it showed up on Gamepass sadly.

Exactly the same here - really wanted to like Tekken 7 but the long loading times and all the characters locked behind DLC really put me off. Then I found TTT2 mostly looked and played the same, had three times as many characters and loaded games in seconds, so I played that for ages instead. 8-)

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

Exactly the same here - really wanted to like Tekken 7 but the long loading times and all the characters locked behind DLC really put me off. Then I found TTT2 mostly looked and played the same, had three times as many characters and loaded games in seconds, so I played that for ages instead. 8-)

I've got my fingers crossed for a next gen TTT3 based on the Tekken 7 visuals and fighting system, keeping the overall design philosophy and match pacing of TTT2 and leveraging those custom SSD set ups in the new machines. That might be a bit of a moon-on-a-stick request, but it's one of a handful of dream games that would sell me on a new console.

• Upvote 1

NFL 2k5 made good use of the original xbox custom soundtrack feature where you could rip stuff from CD to have playing in the arena during breaks in play. It had the echo and everything, you could set one song for scoring and another for half time etc. 

I know why that level of custom soundtrack functionality and integration has never resurfaced, but it's a shame. 

• Upvote 1

MS abandoned it to try and sell you music subs then abandoned selling music subs basically.

• Upvote 1

Does the buying brazil Xbox gold and redeeming codes on vpn still work?

I just tried the shortcut of buying an xbox gamepass utimate code and that didn't seem to work.   Possibly down to my nephew logging on from home while I was pretending to be in brazil on his account to redeem the codes.

1 hour ago, rafaqat said:

Yes, my son did it yesterday.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, rafaqat said:

I just tried the shortcut of buying an xbox gamepass utimate code and that didn't seem to work.   Possibly down to my nephew logging on from home while I was pretending to be in brazil on his account to redeem the codes.

1 hour ago, carlospie said:

He's ruined EVERYTHING 

Might have been the xbox security kicking in.   I just got emails asking if that was me logging in from Brazil.   :)

56 minutes ago, Hitcher said:

Yes, my son did it yesterday.

So he bought a Game Pass Ultimate Code (Not just normal Xbox Gold) for Brazil from CDKeys and applied to a normal account?

I'll try again in a bit now that I have verified the "unusual" activity.

Edit: Tried again and no luck.

2 hours ago, rafaqat said:

I bought a 6 month code ultimate from CDKeys for about £25 a while back. 

Just had to change my region to Brazil and redeem. Then changed back to UK and it's been fine. 

• Upvote 1