Jump to content

Xbox Game Pass


Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Is that Neon game balls hard? It looks balls hard. I don't want to play any more balls hard games. They break my non-hard balls.

 

From the demo it seemed challenging but not insurmountable. It seems to be a case of "learn what the enemies do and avoid accordingly", if you get me. Need more time with the full game to say, really.

 

Also there are difficulty levels.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Hitcher said:

Ah, it's a rogue like, uninstalling.

 

I was interested in playing it until I saw this. Someone needs to put a pillow over  the face of this mechanic now. It's completely killed my interest in so many games.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

Well, no. Because people still enjoy rogue likes. There's a million other games for you to enjoy. It's like me saying "Another FIFA, who wants that shit. I hate football, stop making them!"

 

FIFA has a single yearly release. There are at least half a dozen games released each year that look right up my street but that I am immediately turned off by because they're rogue lites. Moreover, FIFA is a game within a specific genre while games with a rogue like mechanic span multiple genres. It's a choice that the developers make and I'd rather they stopped deciding to make their games in this way. I get that for a lot of indie developers it's an option that saves them money - they can introduce a rogue lite structure and make the game difficult so that the player is booted back to the start when they die and the devs don't have to worry about making lots of late game levels - but each time I play one and have to restart, the prospect of doing it all again just to get back to where I was is enough to make me stop playing.

 

Dead Cells, Gungeon, FTL, Isaac - I've started all of these and enjoyed them but ultimately abandoned them when they forced me to replay the same 30 minutes+ of gameplay once I'd died. I get that it's slightly different each time, and that's the point, but at least give us the option first to play with checkpoints  and then to turn on rogue mode if we want to. You could play the game in checkpoint mode first to get a feel for it and then go back for rogue mode as a challenge run.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

 

Dead Cells, Gungeon, FTL, Isaac - I've started all of these and enjoyed them but ultimately abandoned them when they forced me to replay the same 30 minutes+ of gameplay once I'd died. I get that it's slightly different each time, and that's the point, but at least give us the option first to play with checkpoints  and then to turn on rogue mode if we want to. You could play the game in checkpoint mode first to get a feel for it and then go back for rogue mode as a challenge run.

 

I'd like to see this more. They patched it in to Below recently and I think Bad North added checkpoints in an update too.

 

I like roguelikes a lot but I find the modern ones with the tighter play loops too compulsive. When I die I just want to start over immediately and then it's 2 in the morning... So I don't play them very often. At least with something like Angband back in the day I knew that I'd play a single run over a week, then when I'd die and lose everything I'd walk away dejected and not want to play it for a couple of months.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've really enjoyed playing this. It is obviously hugely inspired by dead cells, which is no bad thing. The pets system is really cool and the difficulty is pitched nicely. I've made decent progress with more experience.

 

EDIT: I have had a weird bug where the screen went black and I had to hard close the game and lost that entire run.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, now I'm much more time poor than money poor (The last 4 months of furlough not withstanding) if there's one thing I detest it's games that make me continually repeat stuff, which is basically the definition of a rouge lite.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Neon Abyss reviews are around the 80% mark which i'd agree with. Definitely worth playing if you like the genre but I don't think it will convert anyone. It does also have its flaws though. Too many of the items do basically the same thing and a few are game breakingly good.

 

5 minutes ago, Dudley said:

Yeah, now I'm much more time poor than money poor (The last 4 months of furlough not withstanding) if there's one thing I detest it's games that make me continually repeat stuff, which is basically the definition of a rouge lite.

 

I've played about 10 runs now and haven't felt at all like it is repeating things. The levels are proceedurally generated and the loot is random. It's roguelike, in the way that dead cells and the binding of isaac are.

 

About an hour or so of my stream for those who want to see a bit of gameplay:

 

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/679320087

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Dudley said:

if there's one thing I detest it's games that make me continually repeat stuff, which is basically the definition of a rouge lite.

 

Sex addict? 

 

red_light_district_adam.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Jamie John said:

 

I was interested in playing it until I saw this. Someone needs to put a pillow over  the face of this mechanic now. It's completely killed my interest in so many games.


I just do not get the appeal of this genre at all. Just playing the same section over and over to try to perfect your run is the definition of tedium to me. I need constant progression, maaan.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Fierce Poodle said:


I just do not get the appeal of this genre at all. Just playing the same section over and over to try to perfect your run is the definition of tedium to me. I need constant progression, maaan.

 

The progression is abstracted. You progress by learning the systems and how they interact, all the edge cases, equipment combinations etc.

 

A good roguelike shouldn't be giving you the same experience in the same section over and over, the underlying systems should be deep enough to throw up new situations each time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Fierce Poodle said:


I just do not get the appeal of this genre at all. Just playing the same section over and over to try to perfect your run is the definition of tedium to me. I need constant progression, maaan.

 

Err, that's exactly the point. It's different every time and whether you succeed or not, you will see progression and more stuff will unlock. 

 

It's actually impossible to play the same section again and again to perfect a run unless you're using the same seed to get the exact same rooms and drops and I've never ever heard of anyone doing that because you can't unlock new stuff in a seeded run. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember the days where we played the same 30+ minutes of gameplay over and over after we died with no changes at all between each run.

 

I did it yesterday in fact. it is pretty much every arcade style videogame ever made :D

 

More seriously I do treat roguelikes as being like an arcade game where the levels change each time I play - it is a nice variant in some cases/games.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Clipper said:

I remember the days where we played the same 30+ minutes of gameplay over and over after we died with no changes at all between each run.

 

I did it yesterday in fact. it is pretty much every arcade style videogame ever made :D

 

More seriously I do treat roguelikes as being like an arcade game where the levels change each time I play - it is a nice variant in some cases/games.

Oh you mean the first level of Ghosts n Goblins?  It was always such a surprise to get past the first bit I died almost immediately.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Gamepass is amazing isn't it. Can just play whatever genre you feel like and if you enjoy it can stick with it. Iv been playing no man's sky this morning and seems really fun, then dipped onto devil may cry (which is far too hard). 

 

I'm so impressed I'm going to hold off on getting a series x at launch as I struggle to see how it can look much better than the series x within that first year 

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, carlospie said:

getting a series x at launch as I struggle to see how it can look much better than the series x within that first year 

It won't be able to outperform itself, that much is true. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, carlospie said:

Gamepass is amazing isn't it. Can just play whatever genre you feel like and if you enjoy it can stick with it. Iv been playing no man's sky this morning and seems really fun, then dipped onto devil may cry (which is far too hard). 

 

I'm so impressed I'm going to hold off on getting a series x at launch as I struggle to see how it can look much better than the series x within that first year 

 

Surely If you we're that impressed you'd trust in the team and reward them by supporting the new hardware?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Revival said:

 

Surely If you we're that impressed you'd trust in the team and reward them by supporting the new hardware?

I'm getting one for sure, only bought the one x last week though and it seems more than adequate for what I'm playing at this time. There's so much on there itl take months to run out of content. 

 

I think the new xbox will be incredible the one x is such a fantastic console everything on it just works so well. I previously have had a ps4, ps4 slim and a pro and the one x is miles ahead of those. I imagine the gulf next gen will be furthered even more. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Revival said:

 

Surely If you we're that impressed you'd trust in the team and reward them by supporting the new hardware?

reward them? reward a multinational corporation?

 

they aren't a charity!

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Clipper said:

reward them? reward a multinational corporation?

 

they aren't a charity!

 

Maybe reward was the wrong choice of word, But the point still stands if something is good and you appreciate it then support it. Irrespective of if it's a multinational or a bloke in a shed.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.