Xbox Game Pass

9 minutes ago, Hitcher said:

But that cost is purely for 3 years of Xbox Live Gold, we're paying £1 for 3 years Game Pass.

Get that... but if you are on PC you don't pay to play online. So totally get it if you are an Xbox gamer who plays online. No brainier. Suppose if you look at it another way. If the game pass conversion didn't exist would you hand over MS three years money for Xbox Gold in advance? Probably not. So they aren't really loosing anything by letting you convert - in fact they are getting a nice chunk of money upfront where they wouldn't have had that before. Not disputing its a good value proposition from MS (at the moment). However it is a stroke of genius really to generate a whole bunch of money quickly while having customer retention for three years where they can upsell a multitude of things. Offer basic GamePass games and sell addons, micro transactions for the games etc etc. Who knows what might happen in future regarding GamePass. 

Look, you could offer some people all the evidence in the world that Game Pass is a deal that makes little or no detriment to their current gaming habits and in fact offers them a substantial saving in time, money and as a side benefit manages to feed an entire orphanage of hungry children for a month and they'll find Reasons to not do it.  Reasons which also give them Genuine Concern.

2 hours ago, MattyP said:

Agree. Its not a lot of money in the grand scheme of things. I like the service and I currently subscribe. Not sure if my gaming habits will change soon though... playing less and less these days and when I do its stuff I have already bought. So for me its probably not worth it. It is insane value for money though even if you just play 3-4 games every other month.

I appreciate where you're coming from. To a certain extent, it can feel like paying for yet another service so you can play those games and get your money's worth, rather than playing the games you've already bought and get that money's worth.

If I didn't bother with Game Pass I'd still have a mountain of games to enjoy, and the cost of it has to be considered in that light. That said, the pandemic has led to me playing a lot of Sea of Thieves, Astroneer and Halo with friends who I'd normally just meet up with for drinks and films, so I'm getting value from it that I never expected.

4 hours ago, footle said:

If you’re just on PC it’s a bit harder, but sea of thieves and flight sim are must tries, and you’re already most of the way to £120 of value there. Add three or four indies at launch and done.

I'm "just on PC" and there's more than enough value with what's on offer there.

Now that it's pulled me back into the MS system again I'm highly tempted to go X-Box next gen rather than PS5.

Everyone who has two hours to spare should at least try Tacoma in the next fortnight.

2 hours ago, StoooTube said:

Comanche? Ooh interesting!

I have fond memories of playing the original voxel engined Comanche on a 386 at a terrible frame rate :lol:

Indeed me too! 386 DX 33 with 4MB RAM! (note MEGABYTES not GIGABYTES!). PC did have so little RAM in those days. Machines in the UK seemed prohibitively expensive. Also remember buying Wing Commander III on release that would apparently run in SVGA (640 x 480). It did. At around 5-10fps on my then supposedly uber powerful 486 DX2 66 with 8MB of RAM a local bus video card...:D These were the days before Pentiums and PCI buses and all sorts of concoctions were used by PC manufacturers to bolster performance. Also no 3D acceleration either. Didn't have a hope in hell of running Strike Commander... :D

Videos with Mark Hamill in WCIII were pretty impressive at the time though. 

Things are so much easier these days... :D 

3 hours ago, Isaac said:

I presume these Double Fine old Lucasarts adventure game remasters are going to be permanent additions, right?

Given that they're first party.

Whilst Double Fine is First Party now, I don't believe MS own the old SCUMM games, rather Lucasarts/Disney still own them with a license for MS to publish these remasters on Xbox. 

23 minutes ago, Jg15 said:

Whilst Double Fine is First Party now, I dont believe MS own the old SCUMM games, rather Lucasarts/Disney still own them with a license for MS to publish these remasters on Xbox. 

Didn't Schaeffer buy back the rights for Full Throttle and Fandango? Did I imagine that:wacko:

30 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Didn't Schaeffer buy back the rights for Full Throttle and Fandango? Did I imagine that:wacko:

Don't think so. Sony actually paid for them to licence the rights for Grim Fandango.

2 hours ago, MattyP said:

Indeed me too! 386 DX 33 with 4MB RAM! (note MEGABYTES not GIGABYTES!). PC did have so little RAM in those days. Machines in the UK seemed prohibitively expensive. Also remember buying Wing Commander III on release that would apparently run in SVGA (640 x 480). It did. At around 5-10fps on my then supposedly uber powerful 486 DX2 66 with 8MB of RAM a local bus video card...:D These were the days before Pentiums and PCI buses and all sorts of concoctions were used by PC manufacturers to bolster performance. Also no 3D acceleration either. Didn't have a hope in hell of running Strike Commander... :D

Videos with Mark Hamill in WCIII were pretty impressive at the time though. 

Things are so much easier these days... :D 

Strike Commander was amazing at the time! I waited until I’d upgraded to a DX2 66mhz before buying it. Worth every penny to play it with a frame rate in double figures! 

It would be amazing to see a remaster of Strike / Wing Commander. 

Getting back on topic... Comanche looks pretty cool! 
https://comanchegame.com

1 hour ago, deerokus said:

Don't think so. Sony actually paid for them to licence the rights for Grim Fandango.

they did, but the ip, publishing rights etc, are double fines.

7 minutes ago, Hass said:

Is Halo Reach on this now? Keen to give that another go with all the visual enhancements.

Yes it is. I played though it a little while ago on my One X and it looks great!!

13 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

Wasn't this announced in edge a few months ago? They had it on the cover and everything.

I saw it on the cover, but I think the game pass announcement is new.

Just to confirm something I mentioned before about the code for 1 month gamepass I grabbed after doing that 10k for 10k quest last month by letting my previous sub lapse (you can't do this whilst it's active it's a currency conflict error you get) and then doing the CDKeys £29.99 for 12 months Brazil, VPN, apply code, switch back to UK then apply the free one month code for GamePass I've now renewed for 13 months for £29.99. Banging.

17 hours ago, Isaac said:

The Ascent is now coming to Xbox and PC Game Pass when it launches next year on day one. Series X 4k60fps.

Can't believe it's made by 11 people.

Shadowrun/Loaded.

I'm just old and jaded and always think I've seen everything before but, as wrong as I'm sure some will tell me I am, I bet I feel I was right when it comes out.

I need to snap out of it really. Hopefully the new consoles will help.

2 hours ago, gooner4life said:

Did it charge you a quid again @Yoshimax or was it a months sub?

It was a one month sub I used my MS rewards points to buy (it’s about 12,600) I used the quid option up when it originally started!