Xbox Game Pass

I've played quite a bit of Deep Rock Galactic and saw nothing that justifies a 16 rating. It's great! I'd say they would have a ball. Even the waiting/staging area has so many lovely features that I won't spoil!

I watched a brief bit of footage and the frequent death seemed to spidery things that just emit green goo when you shoot them.

I have to be a bit careful as he plays online with his friends and if he plays it and tells his friends? Well they pester their parents to play the new cool game that they heard about. And the parents aren't all as videogame savvy as me and often just go with ratings so I get known as the parent who lets my son play 16 rated games and their kids give them grief :D

One downside of Gamepass and all the games being "free".

12 minutes ago, carlospie said:

I let my son play it and he loved it. No idea what he was doing he just likes digging the walls.

There's another game that centres around that activity but the name escapes me...

Edit - I remembered, it's Wall Digger 5000

13 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

I didn’t realise, but Fallen Order has had a patch released on Series S|X to bump the framerate up to 60fps and improve performance. Brilliant! I’ve been thinking about returning to that.

It's not rock solid 60 but it's close enough!

1 hour ago, HarryBizzle said:

I didn’t realise, but Fallen Order has had a patch released on Series S|X to bump the framerate up to 60fps and improve performance. Brilliant! I’ve been thinking about returning to that.

Recently? Gonna give that a go sweet!

6 minutes ago, JPL said:

I’ve just had half an hour on it and, to be honest, didn’t think it felt any different from the last time I played it.

Make sure you turned on the performance mode. 

I’ve now played it and won’t be playing it with my son because I thought it was awful. I must be missing something though based on all the feedback. It’s just so joyless, and why are most of the deposits you need high up walls you can’t reach. The area after the tutorial took me 35 mins to do by which time I was almost terminally bored.

Is it much better in a group?

59 minutes ago, deerokus said:

Make sure you turned on the performance mode. 

Ah right. I’m sure the performance mode said something about prioritising frame rate though, which confused me a bit as I already thought it was ~60fps. If it ups the shinies I’ll give it a go.

1 hour ago, metallicfrodo said:

I’ve now played it and won’t be playing it with my son because I thought it was awful. I must be missing something though based on all the feedback. It’s just so joyless, and why are most of the deposits you need high up walls you can’t reach. The area after the tutorial took me 35 mins to do by which time I was almost terminally bored.

Is it much better in a group?

Those high up deposits are reached with the equipment that all the characters have.

One of you can grapple hook, one can make platforms, one can make zip lines and I can't remember the other one.

16 hours ago, Benny said:

But actually less than the UK at the moment probably.

That's lucky, if the Tories had full reign on their policy to feeding children the minimum age in the UK would also be 16.

17 minutes ago, carlospie said:

My only critiscm, it has three pieces of music on repeat endlessly

Yeah, apart from the music this is pretty much an old school JRPG tailored for the modern gamer. It’s disguised as a PS1/PS2 era game of its ilk but it’s paced like much more recent games. The story is fantastic, a lot of the places are interesting to explore and most of the characters has, erm, well; character.

2 hours ago, James Lyon said:

Better than VIII? I haven't played any of the others but DQ8 on PS2 was amazing.

Yes!!! Oh my god play it, it's amazing and I love it to bits 

And after Dragon Quest XI, I really REALLY recommend playing Yakuza Like a Dragon next. Yes, really. It's perfect - the main character is a fan of Dragon Quest, so he sees and imagines the modern Japanese city setting around him to be a Dragon Quest RPG. A bum with a hoodie and an umbrella is a black mage with a wizard staff for example. And it's a bloody fantastic JRPG too, arguably even better than DQXI. 

What a time for JRPGs :wub:

• gospvg pinned this topic
  • gospvg unpinned this topic