Xbox Game Pass

All the Dirts available on Xbox have been on GamePass at some point, I think. Dirt 5 is fine. The difficulty is all over the shant but it's a solid racer. It's the antithesis to FH4 in a way because the structure is way more rigid, so it was a good counterpart to that.

10 minutes ago, Yiggy said:

I pretty much hated the open world of Forza Horizon 4 so that sounds perfect for me. 

Indeed. Recently picked up a 360 (again!) to play some racers on that. Mainly PGR4 (again!) because there hasn't been anything that competes with that to be honest in terms of variety of events, tight street circuits, weather etc. Spend a very enjoyable number of hours on that over the past couple of days. Not getting rid of this 360 either! :) 

Also got Forza Horizon 2 with the 360 - never seen that version and feels a lot tighter than the One version because you can't go off road. In fact it feels like a different game to be honest. Oh and Sega Rally too. Which is actually a really good game. Deformable tracks etc. 

Why I'm looking forward to DIrt 5 I guess like circuit based racers I wouldn't normally buy off road racer but well its handy that its on GamePass. Although still dislike all the "bro dude" type shenanigans on modern racers... I know, I know... I'm getting old... :D Probably why I enjoy the non-nonsense clean approach of PGR4 and Sega Rally etc.

I like Dirt 5 - it's basically dead online on PS4/5 though (in part due to a lobby system I think). Also the PS5 drops frames like anything, so interested to see how the X performs.

Wreckfest is great, but hope it's got a 60fps enhancement. The PS version has had a few patches but last time I tried was still capped at 30. 

14 minutes ago, MattyP said:

Indeed. Recently picked up a 360 (again!) to play some racers on that. Mainly PGR4 (again!) because there hasn't been anything that competes with that to be honest in terms of variety of events, tight street circuits, weather etc. Spend a very enjoyable number of hours on that over the past couple of days. Not getting rid of this 360 either! :) 

Also got Forza Horizon 2 with the 360 - never seen that version and feels a lot tighter than the One version because you can't go off road. In fact it feels like a different game to be honest. Oh and Sega Rally too. Which is actually a really good game. Deformable tracks etc. 

Why I'm looking forward to DIrt 5 I guess like circuit based racers I wouldn't normally buy off road racer but well its handy that its on GamePass. Although still dislike all the "bro dude" type shenanigans on modern racers... I know, I know... I'm getting old... :D Probably why I enjoy the non-nonsense clean approach of PGR4 and Sega Rally etc.

if you have the 360 hooked up then Blur is always worth a go too.

SHame we don't have real "arcade" racers anymore. Dirt 5 lacks road racing I guess and whilst I loved Motorstorm so will be giving Dirt 5 a go I still need that arcade PGR/Blur itch scratching.

EDIT - yes I know not real arcade racers but arcadey handling and fairly strict structure behind it

6 minutes ago, Clipper said:

if you have the 360 hooked up then Blur is always worth a go too.

SHame we don't have real "arcade" racers anymore. Dirt 5 lacks road racing I guess and whilst I loved Motorstorm so will be giving Dirt 5 a go I still need that arcade PGR/Blur itch scratching.

EDIT - yes I know not real arcade racers but arcadey handling and fairly strict structure behind it

Good call on Blur. Really enjoyed this back in the day too.... They were planning on releasing an updated version with a new graphics engine. Then Activision shuttered the studio. Sigh. Sure there would be room for such a game - I mean its like a more grown up version on Mario Kart. And that continues to sell well for Nintendo. Guess its an established franchise though.

We needs some more arcade racers these days. Seems ridiculous that the only way to play one that scratched my itch is to buy an old console to play them on. Still having fun on it... not sure why people don't play these anymore. Or their is lack of interest from publishers etc. I guess there were too many at one point and money was lost.  

1 hour ago, Majora said:

Gamepass is the inevitable future for games like Dirt 5 and Wreckfest. There just isn't a big enough retail market for full-price arcade racers anymore outside of Forza Horizon, which is its own beast anyway.

I don’t think Wreckfest and Dirt 5 are that comparable, Wreckfest was a slow burner that gained a reputation as one of the best racers of the generation.

Dirt 5 is a 6/10 game that was over hyped, it’s good for a quick blast/race and looks nice on next gen consoles but will be quickly forgotten.

I expect many are looking forward to Wreckfest 2 but very few to Dirt 6.

I would kill for PGR 2,3 or 4 to be backwards compatible. 

The best racing games of all time imo. 

I loved that it didnt have any tuning stuff. It was all down to skill and you knew it was an even playing field. Also the matchmaking and lobbies were perfect and never beaten since. The community was amazing as well. 

19 minutes ago, MattKB said:

Also the PS5 drops frames like anything, so interested to see how the X performs.

A typical shoddy initial release by Codies, much improved if played with bonnet or bumper cam.

10 minutes ago, scoobysi said:

I don’t think Wreckfest and Dirt 5 are that comparable, Wreckfest was a slow burner that gained a reputation as one of the best racers of the generation.

Dirt 5 is a 6/10 game that was over hyped, it’s good for a quick blast/race and looks nice on next gen consoles but will be quickly forgotten.

A Wreckfest 2 would still be a niche proposition that would barely trouble the charts. The market isn't there for £50 arcade racing games anymore. If you're not a sim racer or an open world racer then good luck.

Bearing in mind Wreckfest was Next Car Game for a very long time and spent 4YEARS in early access. If a second one happens Christ only knows how they'll afford to do it. Have the Devs said what they're working on since it came out fully?

1 hour ago, moosegrinder said:

All the Dirts available on Xbox have been on GamePass at some point, I think. Dirt 5 is fine. The difficulty is all over the shant but it's a solid racer. It's the antithesis to FH4 in a way because the structure is way more rigid, so it was a good counterpart to that.

I would say, play WRC 9. It is the Collin McRally equivalent of the 2020s. It is rock solid at 60fps, looks and plays great, has a very nice set of modes and daily challenges and no open-world. Dirt 5 to me is like a McDonalds meal... I instantly regret spending any time on it.  I personally also find WRC 9 a better game versus Dirt Rally 2.0 (only WRC 9, not WRC 8). And god knows what EA is going to do to the already mediocre quality of anything Codemaster's has been putting out lately. Not on Game Pass yet but available for cheap regularly.

28 minutes ago, scoobysi said:

A typical shoddy initial release by Codies, much improved if played with bonnet or bumper cam.

It performs as terrible. I downloaded this game at launch, waited for the first patch but it barely was an improvement and I then deleted it. WRC 9 is my fix right now, which is also a X/S optimized game with a service element but very subdued and easy to ignore. 

30 minutes ago, Ry said:

Race games on Dreamcast and early Xbox were heaven. That whole era was full of great arcade racers. You just won't find that anymore. Even something like Mario Kart has become very bloated for my liking with too many gimmicks versus earlier games. 

29 minutes ago, Ry said:

I loved that it didnt have any tuning stuff. It was all down to skill and you knew it was an even playing field. Also the matchmaking and lobbies were perfect and never beaten since. The community was amazing as well. 

The biggest disappointment about Forza Horizon doing so well is that they don’t feel the need to revisit PGR as it doesn’t scratch there same itch.

Part of me has long wondered whether the Xbox having Forza means there would be a bigger potential audience for it, not less, but we’ll probably never find out.

1 hour ago, Ry said:

Indeed. This is what I loved about these too. No complexities of tuning tweaking etc. Just you and the track with the added element of kudos. Also the tracks were great too. St Petersberg on 4 for example have places to get some air time which adds an extra dimension. Of course also snow, fog, ice and puddles on the track too. They just hit the mid ground between sim and arcade and nailed it.

PGR2 was the first game I played on MS's Live! system. And probably one of the first games I played online thinking back. Had some amazingly fun nights back in the day. Cat and Mouse on the 'Ring etc. 

Anyhow perhaps rose-tinted glasses element tainting this a bit but well PGR4 still has it for me. I intended to have a five minute blast on it the other day and well over an hour I was still playing it hooked as always and it was engaging and entertaining. So worth every penny to get the kit to play it again.

Anyhow look forward to trying Dirt 5 although to be fair never really got on with any of the CodeMasters racing games for some reason. Think its the American feel to the games - you feel like you are being shouted at all the time and being spoon fed everything. The presentation style grates on me. They'll be right at home with EA because their output feels like EA products. This is what spoils Forza Horizon for me a bit too... They are great games technically but damn the whole Horizon Festival thing... I mean you win clothes on wheelspins etc. :( OK you ignore it (and I need too!). But wow..... Give me a PGR style of game anyday. 

Think I'm just getting to be  a cranky old gamer these days and the market has obviously moved on as have the games developers/designers themselves. Bling seems to be king these days as with all the detailed customisation things and DLC this and that. I just lust for simplicity these days I think - things I can pick and play at will and don't have to remember complex controls and navigate maps full of events and have things connected online all the time. Sometimes I think I will stop playing new games, stop buying the new consoles and just play what I love. But then the lure of the new is always there. But somehow always come away slightly unsatisfied. 

It might take a while but I think arcade style racers will eventually roll back into fashion or the demand will be met by indie developers.

Forgotten or unsung genres have a habit of coming back around. Immersive sims, tactics games, metroidvanias, roguelikes, there's a new version of Flight Simulator etc. 

1 hour ago, womblingfree said:

Let’s have a new proper Ridge Racer and F-Zero, then we’ll see how dead sales are for racers.

When they're only released for ps5 and switch respectively it'll be kind of irrelevant how many they sell. They could both sell millions on single format and it means fuck all for the genre.

I don't know why arcade racers have fallen out of favour with the masses. Someone with better social insight might be able to tell us. I'd love them to make a come back but we're a very long way from the days of Blur and Split Second being released almost together, for example.

1 hour ago, moosegrinder said:

Bearing in mind Wreckfest was Next Car Game for a very long time and spent 4YEARS in early access. If a second one happens Christ only knows how they'll afford to do it.

Let’s hope that PS Plus and GP help with that. They have a solid foundation now so hopefully WF2 can be an evolution of that at a lower cost.

A quick search suggests Wreckfest did quite well, with a big Steam Early Access launch and good revenue in 2019. They also continued to support with patches and dlc so hopefully that means it continues to generate income.

Tried Dayz, its a silky smooth 60fps on series x. I remember trying it on XB1X about 6 months ago and i uninstalled it after 5 mins as it was running about 15-20 fps. 

Still, no fucking clue what to do in the game. Wandered about for 30 mins, didnt find a single item and then was killed by some zombies. 

Completed Desperados 3 today. Really worth a play if you like the RTS genre or fancy playing an isometric Hitman. Here's hoping that Blades of the Shogun appears on GPU or on sale sometime soon.

On 17/02/2021 at 15:24, deerokus said:

One of the problems is there's a very vocal type of player who thinks arcade =bad. The steam reviews for Dirt 5 are full of this type of arse. 

True but For me, Dirt 5 simply isn’t a great and tight game. It’s mediocre at best. 

7 hours ago, BossSaru said:

Completed Desperados 3 today. Really worth a play if you like the RTS genre or fancy playing an isometric Hitman. Here's hoping that Blades of the Shogun appears on GPU or on sale sometime soon.

I’ve been enjoying that, but it is long. I’m up to the level in New Orleans and running out of steam with it. 

Only discovered last night that Pillars of Eternity 2 has a turn based mode! I'm quite excited to try it now as I never thought Baldur's Gate's psuedo real-time gameplay really worked.

I've been playing Pillars of Eternity 1 lately, by default it's not too far off turn-based anyway - it pauses as soon as you enter combat so you can assign actions to everyone, then you can unpause it and pause it at will every time you want to do anything different. I'm playing on Easy (don't judge me) so that kind of micro-management is only really necessary for tougher enemies anyway (so far). It's slightly clunky with a controller but it's all very enjoyable.

8 hours ago, BossSaru said:

I'm desperate to love this but those controls are proving a heck of a stumbling block for me.

31 minutes ago, friedgold said:

I'm desperate to love this but those controls are proving a heck of a stumbling block for me.

There’s a good bit of customisation to be had in the options. One that might help is locking the camera to the current character, so you only move it when you want to look elsewhere. 

On 17/02/2021 at 12:15, scoobysi said:

I kind of agree here. Dirt 5 is not a bad game, I have enjoyed playing it but it just doesn't feel like a proper racing game. It's just too easy most of the time and it's just so inconsistent. Some tracks are amazing, others are dull. There is also no sense of progression in the single player either. Don't want to put off anyone playing though, as I said still enjoyed it. 

Wreckfest though is superb though. The pure carnage in every race means I don't think I could ever get bored of it. It definitely is one of the best racers of the generation and on series x with a smooth framerate and fast loading it's just a joy to play. 

• gospvg pinned this topic
  • gospvg unpinned this topic