Xbox Game Pass

12 hours ago, Garwoofoo said:

Games leaving GamePass "soon" (i.e. mid-month):

Witcher 3
Kona
Alvastia Chronicles
Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night

Astrologaster

Bloodstained's been on my list for ages, I really should have got around to that by now. Wonder if it's doable in a couple of weeks.

Astrologaster is nice and short and worth playing before it disappears.

Here's some of what I said back last year.

"This game from last year feels pretty contemporary despite being set in 1600's London. A simple branch narrative game it's the audio presentation and voice acting that really makes it. Playing as obvious conman Simon Forman you diagnose patients as a doctor by using star charts. A choral song is played before each patient visits and then you listen to an exchange between the doctor and his patient until he remarks "hmmm....let us see what the stars have to say about this?" You then make your choice using or ignoring said star charts and then sit back and listen as he justifies his diagnosis. Some patients react badly at times to hearing what they need to hear and getting the letters of recommendation can involve balancing the needs of your patients and their health and your interests. Simon is a really interesting character. A conman who has convinced himself on the con. Sometimes on the ball and empathic and sometimes completely unprofessional (he'll think nothing of sleeping with his patients if they're up for it during consultation!)"

There's a great article here https://www.vice.com/en/article/7kpmba/can-you-be-a-good-doctor-with-bad-medicine-astrologaster-thinks-so

that explores why his practice was so popular.

1597168649352-wellness.jpeg?crop=1xw:1xh

@Unofficial Who Yep, I enjoyed Atrologaster and its cast of characters, quite a well told story with lots of dark humor. I started it for the achievement challenge initially (as it is an easy completion) but would recommend playing it, not overly long either.

18 hours ago, Garwoofoo said:

Games leaving GamePass "soon" (i.e. mid-month):

Witcher 3
Kona
Alvastia Chronicles
Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night

Astrologaster

Bloodstained's been on my list for ages, I really should have got around to that by now. Wonder if it's doable in a couple of weeks.

Ah, now I see the flaw of gamepass. Got Kona, Bloodstained and Astrologaster installed on my new console, and only just started bloodstained (gave up on switch - it didn't run).  Thats rubbish.

How long do things stay up for usually?

6 minutes ago, LaveDisco said:

How long do things stay up for usually?

It varies, but a year is fairly typical. Some games seem to hang around for a lot longer and first-party games are effectively permanent.

You always get a couple of weeks' notice when something's going to disappear, and if you want to buy it while it's on GamePass then you get a discount.

Usually best to play things sooner rather than later when they land on the service, I guess.

If a game is leaving and you are enjoying it/mid way through it's always worth considering purchasing as a discount is applied to Gamepass games for members.

I'd expect it gets better the longer you're on the service. Enticed by what's new this week, you'll see what's worth playing and you'll have plenty of time to play it. But still feels like I'm in an early stage where I keep missing boats of games leaving. 

Yeh exactly. Just get the new games on launch week and see what you like then invest time in them. Generally find in a year youv done all you want on them or have played enough to know it's worth a buy anyway and by then it's much cheaper on trading, cex or cdkeys etc

I don't know if this is a Game Pass thing or an EA thing, but it doesn't install any free DLC when you chose to install a game from it.  

So it's annoying when I uninstalled Mass Effect Andromeda after finishing it to find I had a digital content thing and pre-order content available but unticked. 

Is this always worth checking first before playing anything?

22 hours ago, Hawklord said:

Also really enjoying Sniper 4 having never played any of the previous. I'm loving sneaking around, creating diversions then slowly (or quickly) wiping out all the nazi scum. Finished the 4th mission last night which took the longest for me (about 2.5 hours!)

Sniper Elite 4 is like a World War 2 "Hitman". It's great.

I read somewhere that you can complete each level in an hour and the whole game in 10-12 (or something along those lines). I think I'm currently spending at least 2 and probably 3+ hours in each level. I'm not trying to perfect them, but I'm getting all the main and optional objectives done. Superb stuff and seems a waste to rush it.

1 minute ago, routeburn said:

Sniper Elite 4 is like a World War 2 "Hitman". It's great.

I read somewhere that you can complete each level in an hour and the whole game in 10-12 (or something along those lines). I think I'm currently spending at least 2 and probably 3+ hours in each level. I'm not trying to perfect them, but I'm getting all the main and optional objectives done. Superb stuff and seems a waste to rush it.

I'm the opposite. Playing it on easiest settings and running about like a madman blowing people's balls off (literally). 

Does anyone use the streaming (cloud) much? Was wondering how you’re finding it,  I won’t have a use for it just yet until they add iOS support for iPhone and iPad but I’d be up for some of that in future. 

2 hours ago, Wahwah* said:

I think the best way to enjoy gamepass is to forget about trying to extract maxiumum value from it, just ask yourself what do you want to play at any given moment and then do that, even if a different game is leaving gamepass. Even if you've already completed a game but want to play it again, even  if there's a new critically acclaimed game just been added to gamepass,  even if the game you want to play isn't on gamepass and you have to pay for it. 

There's way too many games to get through all of them anyway, so just play the one you want to play on any given day. Stacking up lots of titles on a to-play list is just another pile of shame that you'll never get around to anyway, so best to not worry if a game you want to play is leaving,  no need to make something joyful a source of stress. If you really wanted to play it, you'd have played it.

Thats basically the process I had to go through when I realised I wanted to play Halo Wars 2 every day, despite there being lots of newer games I'd bought or were being added to gamepass.  

Personally the way I use Game Pass is to spend a while each week staring at games I'm interested in, carefully weighing up which ones will fit in my remaining storage. Then I go and play Destiny 2 again like every other night. 

1 hour ago, Stanley said:

Does anyone use the streaming (cloud) much? Was wondering how you’re finding it,  I won’t have a use for it just yet until they add iOS support for iPhone and iPad but I’d be up for some of that in future. 

Works really well. On the condition that your WiFi and device support a 5GHz connection.... 2.4Ghz connections will not cut it far too choppy from experience.

5 minutes ago, Pockets said:

Why am I suspicious that they’re doing something stupid like not including the next generation version? They’ve always kept them weirdly separate. 

Yeah I have a bad feeling we won’t be getting the next gen version either.

It's a shame if that's so as the only real reason I ever play those games is at the start of a generation to see how they've progressed. I've looked at buying it a few times but it's always so ludicrously priced. Surely mopping up a few extra sales for £20 would be worth it by now. Nope, £60+ (It's £55 at the moment).

Considering they'll all get replaced in Aug/Sept with 2022 versions that is a pretty good long while with the most recent versions of those sports games. 

Squadrons should be more exciting, but it was cheap on release and cheaper still since. 

Absolutely no interest in any of those sports games but I'll happily give Squadrons a spin.

Insanely quick turnaround times for all those games though, I think they are all less than six months old. I wonder if that'll start to translate to people being reluctant to buy EA games in particular at retail, if they're all hitting GamePass this quickly.