Xbox Game Pass

I'm not sure what else they can do.  The app notifies, they tweet it, it's in the right section on the console.

The only thing I can think of is popping up every time you launch the game but even then people leave it running.

If it’s been on the service for several months and you haven’t gotten around to playing it in that time then did you really want to play it anyway? :blah:

Edit - It was added in September ‘19! Come on! More than a year to play it!

8 minutes ago, Bojangle said:

If it’s been on the service for several months and you haven’t gotten around to playing it in that time then did you really want to play it anyway? :blah:

Edit - It was added in September ‘19! Come on! More than a year to play it!

The problem is that we have loads of new players and subscribers. It's been more than a year for you, but a few weeks for others.

I think the problem is that some third party games seem to be on forever whilst others are a matter of months.

RDR2 didn't seem to last long for example, it was on for all of 3-6 months from memory. Meanwhile games like Subnautica and Hollow Knight have seemingly been on for ages (I appreciate there is a difference between Indie and AAA deals and timeframes).

7 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

The problem is that we have loads of new players and subscribers. It's been more than a year for you, but a few weeks for others.

I get that but there’s always going to be new people subscribing and games leaving. They’re pretty upfront about stuff leaving the service, any more upfront and people would be complaining about getting too many notifications. :p

I get Microsoft not necessarily being able to give a huge amount of notice depending on how their contracts might roll, but the current 'Leaving Soon' page is rubbish. For one, when is "soon"? It doesn't give a date on the mobile app or Xbox; it does on PC, but the game selection is different. To rub it in the 'Coming Soon' section just above it has arrival dates written under each game. Further, there doesn't seem to be anywhere to even find the leaving date on the console or app, so even if you know a game is leaving you then have to go look up a press release to find out how long you have left.

Ideally there would be a custom banner on a game's tile saying, "X days left" or whatever, a bit like how demos are clearly labelled as such. If Game Pass is Microsoft's focus going forward I don't think asking for that level of integration is unreasonable.

11 minutes ago, deerokus said:

Apparently the new insider system update has a 'leaving soon' bit in the gamepass area of my games and apps.

Bloodstained is regularly dirt cheap anyway. 

That's been in for ages hasn't it?

I've seen on the XBox PC app, it has a specific leaving soon section and the dates are on the box art.

image.png.a2c70844f3d69d94590a4f36ae7df45d.png

But yeah, I do agree that maybe it should send an automated notification that a game you have is going to be out of rotation soon. they might as well do something instead of blasting nonsense about what's new on XBox a good day after they announced that shit on Twitter.

BTW, that Become As Gods version of Nier on the PC was produced with the help of QLOC (MK11 PC, the Yakuza PC ports, THPS1&2 PC ports and Dragon's Dogma on PC/PS4/XB1), so it's definitely a new port. I'm downloading it now, because Nier is good.

3 hours ago, Mogster said:

The EA Play games are now available on the PC desktop app. :D

Hrm, not there for me. The app updated yesterday

Maybe its rolling out slowly

4 minutes ago, spanx said:

Hrm, not there for me. The app updated yesterday

Maybe its rolling out slowly

Maybe, but it's meant to be live for everyone now. There should be a great big EA Play banner.

image.thumb.png.01afa5f84296c5df60c4e0f345b46a40.png

It's there for me - installed the EA Desktop thing as instructed, but when I try to install a game after that something pops up for a split second (looks like the EA Desktop thing) and then disappears, and then the X-Box App throws up an error.

I've tried without logging in and logging in to the EA Desktop app before attempting to download a game, and checked both of my apparently logged e-mail addresses on EA's website, including the e-mail account my Xbox account is linked to - neither have an Xbox Account linked.

So.. fuck knows, tbh. Although system fuckery seems to be the order of the day - Tried the new port of Nier (which seems very good btw), and even when the game was logging achievements with the usual pop-up, they wasn't showing up in my Xbox profile.

The EA Play stuff took a while to turn up in my app as well.

Oddly, the Xbox app doesn't show all the available games you can get - in the EA Desktop app, it shows 132 games included on the EA Play tier. The Xbox app seems to be mostly missing the fairly decent (if old-ish) collection of indie games on there.

I'm getting errors downloading EA games on the Xbox app. When you use the EA Desktop app are you supposed to use your origin password or your Xbox Games Pass password?

Happy to see that my installation can be pointed at my existing folder for Origin, so I can safely cancel that now and not lose my save games. Pleasantly surprised about that,  I thought the games might've been locked into the Game Pass protected folders.

7 hours ago, deerokus said:

Empire of Pish. Glad I never bought it. 

I'd say 'give it time' but with it on GamePass there's no reason to. :(

When it gets going - you have your rackets working together and the money's rolling in - it's good fun.

Just a couple more levels to get through on Sniper Elite 4 - I'm really enjoying it.  It's good to be made to approach a shooting game in an entirely different way and there's definitely replay value - I'd love to go back to the earlier with my improved skillz and enhanced scope.  Now I know the layout, I think I'd be able to accomplish a lot more.

Yet another Game Pass title that I'd never have gone near otherwise.

Spoiler

Oh yeah, and I managed to snipe the driver and gunner of a tank which was IMMENSELY satisfying.

I think it's the sights the gunner uses - not the gun barrel.  I didn't realise you could do that - I thought you just had to lay mines down for them (which is also fucking good fun) but that clip was the first time I worked out that you can kill the driver and the gunner!  (Big red blobs on the thing should have been a clue, really.....)

Downloading Star wars Squadrons on pc game pass now, can`t wait to try it on my quest 2 :D

Also saw on Resetera that Evil within on PC Game Pass has been updated alot from the steam version with higher frame rates, first person, fov options and more.  Might have to give it another go.

20 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

I didn't realise the EA Play thing was for regular Game Pass, I thought it was for Ultimate only.

Linked my accounts and now downloading Star Wars squadrons.

It's only for Ultimate on consoles, but it comes with Game Pass for PC regardless.

34 minutes ago, Hodge said:

Also saw on Resetera that Evil within on PC Game Pass has been updated alot from the steam version with higher frame rates, first person, fov options and more.  Might have to give it another go.

That's interesting! Nier was also updated to a better version on GP. Is this their additional pitch tactic, not only offer good value but also better versions of the games?

15 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

That's interesting! Nier was also updated to a better version on GP. Is this their additional pitch tactic, not only offer good value but also better versions of the games?

It's a big turn around given the windows store/locked versions always used to be more restrictive and worse than the other PC platforms

6 minutes ago, Uzi said:

It's a big turn around given the windows store/locked versions always used to be more restrictive and worse than the other PC platforms

Indeed, but it's more inline with all the awesome (and pr friendly) QOL stuff they're doing on the Xbox. Rolling out auto HDR on Windows also fits that pattern. That's a good thing, I remember when Microsoft itself was the worst thing that could happen to gaming on Microsoft Windows - remember Games for Windows Live? Uurrgh