Xbox Game Pass

5 hours ago, mdn2 said:

I'm playing Greedfall at the minute - I've had the physical disc for ages but now it's on Gamepass and I don't have to physically get up and put the disc in I'm properly getting stuck into it. It's a typical Eurojank RPG, but I have a real soft spot for those and the world - although too brown - is actually quite pretty in places. 

The developers confirmed back in November that a next gen version was coming, don’t think we’ve heard anything about it since then ☹️ Been waiting for ages. 

1 hour ago, Giddas said:

I loved Carrion, even though it's quite easy, apart from getting lost.

I've been really enjoying it. But I think I'm at the fina” part as it’s suddenly become really combat intensive against large groups, which is a shame as that's by far the worst aspect of the game.

2 hours ago, Harsin said:

I've been really enjoying it. But I think I'm at the fina” part as it’s suddenly become really combat intensive against large groups, which is a shame as that's by far the worst aspect of the game.

It horrible when games double down on things that make them less entertaining as you progress.

I have been absolutely hammering Outriders the past few days & really enjoying doing so.  Totally impressed that MS managed a Day 1 GP release for it.:hat:

I loved Carrion too and I didn't find the lack of a map a problem but I did finish it in one sitting on a weekend afternoon, it's only about four hours long so easily doable.

I can see how if you didn't do it in one sitting the lack of a map would be frustrating.

2 hours ago, Hitcher said:

Yeah, I came back to it a week or so later and had no idea what I was doing so gave up.

Same, I didn't have a problem until I took a break from it for a few days and then when I came back I spent half an hour going round and round in circles before giving up.

This is a problem with so many games, they all assume that you're basically playing them 40 hours straight until you finish them and real life doesn't exist.

This is why I never complain about tutorial messages late on in games, sometimes I need them.  There's a couple of games who do "Previously on" recaps as well which is great.

21 minutes ago, Dudley said:

This is a problem with so many games, they all assume that you're basically playing them 40 hours straight until you finish them and real life doesn't exist.

This is why I never complain about tutorial messages late on in games, sometimes I need them.  There's a couple of games who do "Previously on" recaps as well which is great.

Arkham Knight is quite good for this, as that game kinda assumes you’ve played and built up muscle memory from the previous two games - so the game, through necessity, is constantly prompting you with on-screen direction about which of Batman’s array of actions can be used in any particular situation. 

It makes for quite a busy, borderline stressful experience though, it has to be said. 

The movement and control of Carrion is beautiful, it feels exactly like you'd imagine being that creature would feel. The way it slinks, flicks and oozes around is so satisfying and weird, then the way it murders people, shaking them and obliterating them, outrageously violent and shocking. I think they nailed that creature feel perfectly and the graphics just tell you enough.

My time's limited so I came at Carrion in short bursts of play, with often large gaps between. Towards the end, I somehow missed a door that I could enter and instead went flying around virtually the entire map in search of the exit. 

That was a particularly bad time. It really needed some form of map to make that less of a waste of time. Luckily, the controls were great and smashing the fuck out of screaming scientists never grew old.

The development team behind Carrion also did Butcher, they're clearly talented and while neither game has been perfect they're getting better each time. Looking forward to their next thing. 

9 hours ago, Dudley said:

I was asking for this when I worked in the industry. Tell people where they are and what they're doing. Make it an option if needed, but otherwise stick it on the loading screen. I've got a memory like a sieve. If I take a break of a week from a game chances are I'm clueless. Rather than telling me what the jump button is for the hundredth time (which I can work out by prodding buttons), maybe tell me something useful...

I’ve been playing Yakuza LaD this weekend, which is obviously very new, and it looks fab - I gave Prey a whirl last night and, is it just me, or does it look absolutely stonkingly gorgeous? The texture work in particular was head and shoulders above what the Dragon Engine is doing. Not bad for a game that’s 3 years the senior of Yakuza. 

Is there a similarly short and fun game like Rain on their Parade on Game Pass that you all would recommend? I need something short to bridge the time to NieR at the end of this week.

Already played Carrion fwiw :) edit: and the wonderful Donut County

1 minute ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Is there a similarly short and fun game like Rain on their Parade on Game Pass that you all would recommend? I need something short to bridge the time to NieR at the end of this week.

Already played Carrion fwiw :)

Donut County. 

1 minute ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Yes! Wonderful game and already finished. Dammit, imma going to edit that in. Thanks :)

Knights and Bikes is fantastic and utterly charming. Although it is about 10 hours or so to complete. 

17 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Already played Carrion fwiw :) edit: and the wonderful Donut County

Carto is pretty good, a gentle little puzzle game that doesn't outstay its welcome.

The Touryst is absolutely lovely too.

On the flip side, I really really didn't get on with the Touryst.

Isometric precision platforming is not something that should exist in a modern game.

I'm liking Rain On Your Parade a fair bit more than Donut County actually. And I did like the latter but it felt a bit one note at times. Rain On Your Parade has a lot more variety and feels a bit more gamey. I also just inherently enjoy causing chaos in Rain more. 

25 minutes ago, mdn2 said:

Knights and Bikes is fantastic and utterly charming. Although it is about 10 hours or so to complete. 

I looked it up and my first thought was wtf they really really ripped off that Double Fine art style! Looked closer and oh it *is* a Double Fine game!

How did I miss this? Never even heard of it. Thanks!

And thanks for all the other recommendations everyone, keep em coming I'm installing everything :)

1 minute ago, Harsin said:

Playing the universally loved Ori and the Blind Forest and not getting on with it all. am I a bad person?

The platforming and traversal gets quite good the further in you go, although the ‘boss’ sequences have to be endured I’m afraid. 

20 minutes ago, Timmo said:

I gave up because it wasn't as engaging as Hollow Knight. 

I much preferred it to Hollow Knight, which (for me) just consisted of repeatedly slogging from a save point to a boss, dying, then having to slog back to the boss again. Got really fucked off with that, just let me replay the boss FFS without the walk of shame.