Xbox Game Pass

Harsin

Yeah, the lad could’ve just said “it costs less than buying 2 games” and that’s a normal un-warzy statement to make.

I do have anxiety about what’s gonna happen in 2.5 years time when the GP runs out, I will either fail to pull my finger out and just pay a direct debit or MS will change the rules. Bloody Netflix is like £15! Swear it was a fiver when I first signed up.

There is no way on Earth that the conversion trick is still going in three years time. Hell, you won't be able to get 12mnth gold cards by then anyway.

And to be honest, at £11/mnth, unless MS start dropping first party stuff at a regular rate, is just not worth it. Love playing the indie games, and thats by far the biggest appeal to me, but I end up having to buy them when they leave (like Bloodstained). 

9 minutes ago, LaveDisco said:

There is no way on Earth that the conversion trick is still going in three years time. Hell, you won't be able to get 12mnth gold cards by then anyway.

And to be honest, at £11/mnth, unless MS start dropping first party stuff at a regular rate, is just not worth it. Love playing the indie games, and thats by far the biggest appeal to me, but I end up having to buy them when they leave (like Bloodstained). 

Gold will be dead within a couple of years.... I'm guessing it will be merged into a lower tier GamePass sub. Probably the £7.99 one no doubt.

Think £11 or £8 is still great value IMHO - even if you play a couple of indie titles a month that works out at £5.50 each. So depending where I'm at in a few years time I'll probably just keep it rolling. Like having the variety on there.

6 minutes ago, MattyP said:

Gold will be dead within a couple of years.... I'm guessing it will be merged into a lower tier GamePass sub. Probably the £7.99 one no doubt.

Think £11 or £8 is still great value IMHO - even if you play a couple of indie titles a month that works out at £5.50 each. So depending where I'm at in a few years time I'll probably just keep it rolling. Like having the variety on there.

Oh I totally agree. The issue is for me, that gamepass has made me realise that I take ages to play games - easily over a year each time, and that slight pressure of games leaving, can make leisure feel like a chore. What should I play can become, what might leave soon. And that's sucky.

So it's £5.50, but also the pressure to complete them within a year (as ridiculous as that sounds, thats hard for me), I would rather just buy them outright and not have to worry. 

But with all their acquisitions there is a chance that point MS are releasing first party stuff regularly by then. Stuff that I know won't leave will be enough to keep it me subbed.

15 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

What's that?

Its a points based system where you jump through various hoops MS setup to get points which you can then spend on MS stuff... one of which is a free month of GPU! :) 

8 minutes ago, LaveDisco said:

Oh I totally agree. The issue is for me, that gamepass has made me realise that I take ages to play games - easily over a year each time, and that slight pressure of games leaving, can make leisure feel like a chore. What should I play can become, what might leave soon. And that's sucky.

So it's £5.50, but also the pressure to complete them within a year (as ridiculous as that sounds, thats hard for me), I would rather just buy them outright and not have to worry. 

But with all their acquisitions there is a chance that point MS are releasing first party stuff regularly by then. Stuff that I know won't leave will be enough to keep it me subbed.

Indeed...  I'm a fairly slow player too and usually takes me a couple of weeks to complete the average indie puzzler based game or whatever. Have noticed though it does take a fair while for games to disappear from the service. Don't think there has been an instance yet where I've not finished playing something I enjoy before its gone. If it does I've usually I've lost interest in it anyway.

Good to have variety on how you want to pay for and consume games I guess. Sure MS will always offer the option to buy games outright. What does concern me a bit is they might use exclusivity periods on games to get people onto the service - especially with some indie titles. Anyhow who knows where they are going with this but we have always got options. More so than ever before which is great.

12 minutes ago, LaveDisco said:

There is a thread for it. The users of it swear by it, and are clearly getting gamepass and games for 'free', for 'ten minutes work a day'. 

But to me it seems like something that risks making your leisure a job. Basically you do searches on Bing, quizzes and play the recommended games to get reward points that you can trade in.

I've had it running (but changed none of my usual habits) and earned 1500 points since launch day. I think this is equivalent to about 1p of value. I find it distasteful but can't articulate why. (But then I hate store cards etc, so you know...)

:) MS are playing on the "something for nothing"* mentality of store cards. But hey if people want to jump through hoops to get freebies fine by me. Never used it personally and never even checked to see how many I have. Just notice get odd notifications on the Xbox about it that annoy me. Which reminds me need to tweak the settings next time I'm on so they no longer appear.

*Which we all know has a cost associated with it somewhere. Time. Keeping people on your ecosystem so they can target stuff at you etc etc. 

My apologies, I didn't mean to start anything with my comment, it certainly wasn't intended as a console wars post. My intention was that when you buy a new console you usually want to buy 1 or 2 games initially to play with it. So paying £121 up front is a similar outlay to a usual console purchase plus a couple of brand new games. It just happens that Sony has raised that initial outlay a little bit.

5 minutes ago, reef said:

My apologies, I didn't mean to start anything with my comment, it certainly wasn't intended as a console wars post. My intention was that when you buy a new console you usually want to buy 1 or 2 games initially to play with it. So paying £121 up front is a similar outlay to a usual console purchase plus a couple of brand new games. It just happens that Sony has raised that initial outlay a little bit.

Suppose arguably Xbox didn't have a couple of new exclusive games you could have bought with a Series S/X at launch anyway... :) Besides CoD and a new FIFA - a few titles that people usually buy weren't on GamePass at the console launch so most would have had to buy them anyway.

Agree though for the price of a couple of AAA games you can have three years gaming... which does seem insane value. However you will spend more over those three years anyhow as there will be AAA content from third parties that won't be on GP that you will want.

I think we can all agree that Game Pass is a complete waste of money if it doesn't have any games you wish to play. If I look back at my previous purchases (pre Game Pass), there are plenty of Microsoft first party and Bethesda titles so I'm hopeful I will receive cracking value for money through the service.

MS Rewards are for purchasing titles for free which don't appear on Game Pass over the next three years ;)

I haven't bought any games for mine, just going to jump straight on with the GP trial Squigs gave me and take it from there. Doesn't seem that many worth playing  on disc :lol:

The thing is with Game Pass is that the chances are you're going to try something just because you can. Even if you never gave a fuck about it before, you'll see a game and go "Aye, why not." Sometimes it sucks, but more often than not it's a good experience. Plus the money has already gone so you've convinced yourself you tried it for 'free'.

10 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

I haven't bought any games for mine, just going to jump straight on with the GP trial Squigs gave me and take it from there. Doesn't seem that many worth playing  on disc :lol:

Not used the disk drive in mine since I got it last November! Well I think I put a DVD in it to see if it works but no games! :D I'd would have preferred a Series S sized box for £350 without the drive. Or just the same price sans drive with a 2TB SSD. Anyway...

1 hour ago, mikeyl said:

Saying that 2 ps5 games cost £120 is as factually correct as saying Gamepass costs £1 when it’s actually £10.99 a month tho

1 hour ago, mikeyl said:

“Ps5 games aren’t £70

2 PS5 games at £70 would be £140, not £120....

Surely nobody is going to die on the hill that 3 years of Gamepass (at £120 when using the conversion trick) doesn't offer better value than roughly a couple/a few PS5 titles?

1 hour ago, mikeyl said:

Yeah, the lad could’ve just said “it costs less than buying 2 games” and that’s a normal un-warzy statement to make.

I do have anxiety about what’s gonna happen in 2.5 years time when the GP runs out, I will either fail to pull my finger out and just pay a direct debit or MS will change the rules. Bloody Netflix is like £15! Swear it was a fiver when I first signed up.

I keep topping mine up so it's got 3 years still to run. Just added another 10 weeks for less than a tenner using this:

39 minutes ago, reef said:

Everybody understood perfectly fine what you were trying to say. Even that guy who pretended he didn't and jumped to the defense of his favourite megacorp. No need to apologize.

2 hours ago, MattyP said:

MS haven't really been throwing new AAA franchises or content onto GamePass really have they? Enjoyed The Medium but since that? Sure there is a raft of indie titles and older content but new AAA games? I know that probably isn't GamePass's remit but MS state that you will get new Xbox games day and date with retail release but if you aren't actually releasing AAA XBox content? I know the games will come eventually. Probably after most people's 3 yeas cheap subs are coming to an end....Hmmm... Anyway its still great value at £10.99 and gives you plenty to play.

Depends what you mean by AAA. Last month, both Outriders and The Show were day and date. If you were even casually interested in either, there’s your £11 of gaming for the month, before any other indie games/existing content etc.

it is heavily dependent on whether you want to play the titles on the sub though.

Just been going through this games list.. man there's so much stuff I'll be able to finish pretty quickly and not have to pay a fortune for. Almost bought that Falconeer game earlier but its already in there :blink:

To put the rewards stuff into context: it takes about 3 minutes max per day to do the browser ones. This equates to just over a Game Pass for PC sub's worth per month, for 1.5 hours donkey work total. So it's an easy calculation to determine if you feel it's worth your time.

2 minutes ago, Benny said:

To put the rewards stuff into context: it takes about 3 minutes max per day to do the browser ones. This equates to just over a Game Pass for PC sub's worth per month, for 1.5 hours donkey work total. So it's an easy calculation to determine if you feel it's worth your time.

Surprised nobody has written a script to just do the browser stuff and just leave it running in the background. Zero time needed....

2 minutes ago, rgraves said:

At home!?

No.... but not everyone works from home. :) Luckily I do but can't be bothered messing about jumping through MS's hoops to get some free access to their services. 

Can see why people would though... its free.... why not. I expect MS will at some point have a cull on it but guess they are happy at the moment to have people accessing their services.