Xbox Game Pass

11 minutes ago, MattyP said:

Surprised nobody has written a script to just do the browser stuff and just leave it running in the background. Zero time needed....

There's a Chrome/Firefox extension called ABS (Automated Bing Searches) that automates most of the browser tasks for you.

The other stuff (the Game Pass quests on the app, and the stuff on the console) I actually enjoy, in a strange kind of meta-game way. It's definitely encouraged me to try out a few games I would otherwise have ignored.

Just stumbled across the PC games list.. wtf is going on? How are they making money off it, incredible amount of stuff to just give away. Bit annoyed as I bought the Forza 4 Ultimate edition a few weeks back but its got half my wish list on there.

4 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

How are they making money off it, incredible amount of stuff to just give away.

They're not yet, like most subscription services they're playing the long game.

7 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

Just stumbled across the PC games list.. wtf is going on? How are they making money off it, incredible amount of stuff to just give away. Bit annoyed as I bought the Forza 4 Ultimate edition a few weeks back but its got half my wish list on there.

Ah don't worry the FH4 on there is only the standard version so you'll get all the ultimate extras...

1 minute ago, rgraves said:

Is this it? https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/abs/ipbgaooglppjombmbgebgmaehjkfabme

Is anyone on here using this - does it work OK?

I use this: https://github.com/tmxkn1/Microsoft-Reward-Chrome-Ext

Does all the searches with a click including the Edge browser ones. No issues. You still have to do the quizzes and check your horoscope when they come up

42 minutes ago, MattyP said:

Surprised nobody has written a script to just do the browser stuff and just leave it running in the background. Zero time needed....

They have. 

I do click a button and it's all done for me. Been using it about 9 months now. 

I wouldn't bother with rewards unless I used this. 

Just to warn, any extensions or scripts to do web browsing or quizzes might get you in bother. It's against their rules and they can lock you out of MS rewards. I don't think anyone here has been caught but there is stuff out there about it happening.

For web browsing rewards, I just put in "<name of any movie> cast" and then rattle through the links for all the actors. I only do that at the end of the day after legit use. Edge browser is pretty good now (it's chrome!) and bing works for most things so just make them default. 

The extensions seem to be crap for doing the reward links and quizzes on the site. It rarely worked first time for me, and I've found these days I only need to do the quizzes for Daily Sets... all the other ones just let me click it and bail. 

I'm actually finding it a bit quicker to do stuff without extensions. 

31 minutes ago, rgraves said:

Is this it? https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/abs/ipbgaooglppjombmbgebgmaehjkfabme

Is anyone on here using this - does it work OK?

I use that one. It'll let you set a time but very occasionally won't register the searches so just check your rewards page daily to make sure you don't lose a streak. Apart from that it's great.

The rewards program is great. I got 6000 points back for buying Mass Effect. Something I'd already gotten 10% off and an extra fiver off in points. Points I had for basically letting a plugin do some searches on bing every day.

I even find myself doing the challenges sometimes. I suspect it's driving sales of older games to a certain extent.

Personally, I tend to pay attention to the the Game Pass quests and the rewards app on console, because as with Garwoofoo I actually find it quite fun* - it gets me to try games I otherwise wouldn't, and has made me give things more of a go than I otherwise might. I won't go out of my way to play things I will dislike (the zombie-theme this month is a bit of a downer for me, as anything actually scary is basically unplayable for me), but for the most part I find it a fun excuse to try new games.

Other than that I get passive Bing searches (as I try to avoid using Google anyway where reasonably achievable), and if I have a quiet moment at work I might idle through the tasks on the Rewards website, but I don't force myself and rarely make it past a 3-day streak. Despite that I still ended up with around 5000 points a month, with the vast majority coming from console use, which is enough to auto-redeem the 5500 point £5 voucher most months. I could put it towards Gamepass instead, but I'm happy to gradually accumulate credit which I can occasionally use to mindlessly buy DLC/things on sale!

Edit: I will note that, while very generous in terms of giving out 'free' points, Microsoft's rewards scheme must go down as one of the least generous in existence for purchases; they give 1 point for every pound spent on physical purchases. Which, to put that in meaningful terms, means that for every £500 you spend on the Microsoft store, you get roughly 45p worth of points. Compelling! (This rises 20-fold for digital purchases, so is actually a bit more reasonable on that front, but it tickles me that you can buy the absolute top of the range Surface and still not have enough points for a £5 gift card)

*when it works and gives me the full set of punchcards, at least :angry:

28 minutes ago, Wiper said:

Personally, I tend to pay attention to the the Game Pass quests and the rewards app on console, because as with Garwoofoo I actually find it quite fun* - it gets me to try games I otherwise wouldn't, and has made me give things more of a go than I otherwise might. I won't go out of my way to play things I will dislike (the zombie-theme this month is a bit of a downer for me, as anything actually scary is basically unplayable for me), but for the most part I find it a fun excuse to try new games.

Other than that I get passive Bing searches (as I try to avoid using Google anyway where reasonably achievable), and if I have a quiet moment at work I might idle through the tasks on the Rewards website, but I don't force myself and rarely make it past a 3-day streak. Despite that I still ended up with around 5000 points a month, with the vast majority coming from console use, which is enough to auto-redeem the 5500 point £5 voucher most months. I could put it towards Gamepass instead, but I'm happy to gradually accumulate credit which I can occasionally use to mindlessly buy DLC/things on sale!

Edit: I will note that, while very generous in terms of giving out 'free' points, Microsoft's rewards scheme must go down as one of the least generous in existence for purchases; they give 1 point for every pound spent on physical purchases. Which, to put that in meaningful terms, means that for every £500 you spend on the Microsoft store, you get roughly 45p worth of points. Compelling! (This rises 20-fold for digital purchases, so is actually a bit more reasonable on that front, but it tickles me that you can buy the absolute top of the range Surface and still not have enough points for a £5 gift card)

*when it works and gives me the full set of punchcards, at least :angry:

The gift cards have an expiry date on them (90 days?) so unless there is something you want its safer to leave them as points.

That's true enough - I just like the minor discount, and can be relied upon to buy /something/ every few months. For anyone who'd rather save up for a big purchase/doesn't make regular small impulse purchases, it's better to hold onto the points and face the slight markup rather than having auto-redeem on!

I lost my streak again. :( I had about 45 days. I logged and did the mobile searches but didn't do the daily set as I was busy. I guess you have to do the daily set as well for it to count, not just go to the page. Lesson learned.

On 11/05/2021 at 19:41, Kevvy Metal said:

Maybe he, you know... just doesn't want Gamepass?

14 hours ago, scoobysi said:

It’s just like being back in the playground.

13 hours ago, mikeyl said:

“Ps5 games aren’t £70 only some are and then if you load up on cheap credit or shop around it brings the price down etc etczzz”

let’s play fair!

12 hours ago, rgraves said:

Surely nobody is going to die on the hill that 3 years of Gamepass (at £120 when using the conversion trick) doesn't offer better value than roughly a couple/a few PS5 titles?

You can bet these three will.   Everytime.

25 minutes ago, rafaqat said:

wait, what??

also, I agree, Gamepass is better value than two full priced 3rd party Assassins Creed games

57 minutes ago, rafaqat said:

@reef explained the point made and intention of it, which is fair enough, I just think it could’ve been made equally about buying XBOX games, which imo would’ve been more relevant to this thread and someone considering buying GamePass. Unfortunately reef was basically on the receiving end of my grumpy oh ffs this morning.

However, your post does kind of lend credence to mine. I’d actually just rather read about people’s experiences with GamePass in here.

I’ll just revert to quietly observing again, unless of course someone insults my favourite megacorp ;).

8 hours ago, scoobysi said:

@reef explained the point made and intention of it, which is fair enough, I just think it could’ve been made equally about buying XBOX games, which imo would’ve been more relevant to this thread and someone considering buying GamePass. Unfortunately reef was basically on the receiving end of my grumpy oh ffs this morning.

However, your post does kind of lend credence to mine. I’d actually just rather read about people’s experiences with GamePass in here.

I’ll just revert to quietly observing again, unless of course someone insults my favourite megacorp ;).

ah it's all (mostly) good. 

I guess my take on it was that since the forum thing at the moment is "£70 Ps5 games, oh noes" it was an ok metric to use since it sounds more impressive to say 2 PS5 games than 3 Xbox games or 15 GBA games or whatever as a comparison.  

I'd be gobsmacked if this £1 conversion trick is still around in 3 years.   

Yeah, you have to choose. Either PS5 games are £70 and Gamepass is about a tenner a month or PS5 games are £58 or so and Gamepass is as low as three quid.

I think the point is, it doesn't matter - it's about £120 for three years of gamepass - that's incredible value against single game purchases. It's not a close race - so why people are arguing about £70, or £60, or £58 is odd - even at £40 it would be 3 games or 3-years of Gamepass.

Psychonaughts is up today... Never finished this back on the PS2 so will be nice to have another play. Hopefully its been tidied up a bit for newer hardware.

1 hour ago, rgraves said:

It's not a close race - so why people are arguing about £70, or £60, or £58 is odd

It's because games are only £70 on one system, disapproving of that price can be interpreted as disapproving of that one system, means people get upset.

7 minutes ago, Wahwah* said:

It's because games are only £70 on one system, disapproving of that price can be interpreted as disapproving of that one system, means people get upset.

Yeah, but there are no games on the other system. They better have a storming E3 or I might have to get a PS5 sooner than I wanted.

8 minutes ago, JPL said:

Yeah, but there are no games on the other system. They better have a storming E3 or I might have to get a PS5 sooner than I wanted.

Well now everyone's going to get upset. 

Of course GamePass with the gold trick is fantastic value.

Not as good value as PC gaming though where there's actually competition amongst stores.

12 hours ago, rafaqat said:

Not only did you quote 4 rather than 3, but as I’ve mentioned many times I own a series X with 3 years of GPU. 

Gamepass isn’t for everyone, but even when people say they’re not interested in it and any question it’s met with “get Gamepass”, followed by wild inaccuracies on how much it actually costs. 

8 minutes ago, JPL said:

It costs £121. 3x annual Live codes plus £1 conversion. Has someone said different?

That is the correct discount cost, yes. Which isn’t “it’s just £1!” As in the post that I was originally replying too. 

1 hour ago, Kevvy Metal said:

Gamepass isn’t for everyone

Who is it *not* for - I mean , there's a pretty wide variety of content on there - there is pretty much something for everyone - especially including the EA stuff, and especially considering everything from MS and Bethesda will be there Day 1 from now on. For even the most (ugh) 'casual' of gamer who buys nothing but FIFA each year, they get that, for the same outlay as buying it each year, and they get loads of other stuff too.

Under what circumstances does it *not* make sense for an Xbox owner to have gamepass (for either 1, 2, or 3 years - let's not forget you could buy in 13 months at about £40 if you wanted, £120 is the *maximum* cost, not the minimum bar for entry) given the current discount pricing option? I really struggle to think of any.