Xbox Game Pass

Harsin

5 minutes ago, rgraves said:

Who is it *not* for - I mean , there's a pretty wide variety of content on there - there is pretty much something for everyone - especially including the EA stuff, and especially considering everything from MS and Bethesda will be there Day 1 from now on. For even the most (ugh) 'casual' of gamer who buys nothing but FIFA each year, they get that, for the same outlay as buying it each year, and they get loads of other stuff too.

Under what circumstances does it *not* make sense for an Xbox owner to not have gamepass (for either 1, 2, or 3 years - let's not forget you could buy in for 12 months at about £40 if you wanted, £120 is the *maximum* cost, not the minimum bar for entry) given the current discount pricing option? I really struggle to think of any.

They want to buy and own their games and are not interested in an “all you can eat” service? 
They want to buy and own a smaller number of specific games and that has more value to them than this service. 

I don’t understand why it’s so hard to see that some user’s have priorities like this? And that is the best opinion for them. I have GPU and enjoy the variety but everyone is different. A huge number of people will buy an Xbox to play absolutely nothing but Fornite, FIFA or COD. 

6 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

They want to buy and own their games and are not interested in an “all you can eat” service? 
They want to buy and own a smaller number of specific games and that has more value to them than this service. 

I don’t understand why it’s so hard to see that some user’s have priorities like this? And that is the best opinion for them. I have GPU and enjoy the variety but everyone is different. A huge number of people will buy an Xbox to play absolutely nothing but Fornite, FIFA or COD. 

1) GP does not stop this - it actually allows you try them first, before purchase, and then buy, at a discounted rate, if you like it and want to proceed. Or save yourself the cash if you don't like it.

2) I guess, but you're talking about buying only a single game each year - for the price of 1 single title, they can have access to hundreds.

It's not hard to understand - I just think the idea that those two cases above are anything other than niche is curious - for the *vast majority* it makes obvious, perfect sense. And I already said, if a huge number of people want to play FIFA, GP makes sense there as well now that EA are on-board.

25 minutes ago, xtremeboat said:

Wow Psychonauts is ugly

Well it is an Xbox game... The actual graphics in game aren't too bad but the pre-rendered FMV cutscene footage is encoded at a low res - guessing 640x480 and they won't re-render all those! 

11 minutes ago, MattyP said:

Well it is an Xbox game... The actual graphics in game aren't too bad but the pre-rendered FMV cutscene footage is encoded at a low res - guessing 640x480 and they won't re-render all those! 

I have no issues with OG Xbox games but it's the style they went for - it looks like a 90's Nickelodeon cartoon vibe, but it doesn't look good in early Xbox 3D

the Remnant patch is a little odd, auto hdr is turned on in settings but doesn't seem to work anymore and it doesn't quick resume. It used to! 

60fps is nice but not that sharp.

1 hour ago, Kevvy Metal said:

Yeah, I'm with Kevvy on this one. I have Gamepass, really like it, recommend it to others - but it's still not for everyone. It's a reasonable outlay at base cost, the discounted approach is incredible value but requires a big initial outlay, and it isn't going to be all that great for people with specific tastes or who only ever want to play the latest games. And that's fine! Nothing is for everyone, and it seems odd to want to jump to the defence of Gamepass as though it should be treated as the perfect solution for everyone.

25 minutes ago, Wiper said:

incredible value but requires a big initial outlay

You can buy-in for an initial outlay of just £11 if you want....or £40 for a year.....

If folks are going to huff about people saying PS5 games are £70, don't start making out that the only option for GP is a full three years in return.

4 minutes ago, rgraves said:

You can buy-in for an initial outlay of just £11 if you want....or £40 for a year.....

If folks are going to huff about people saying PS5 games are £70, don't start making out that the only option for GP is a full three years in return.

Don't think anyone was... someone mentioned that three years gaming for a pound... which isn't true.... More like three years gaming for a pound if you already subscribe to Gold every year. Still a £121 upfront cost if you go for this.

Yeah, but the initial outlay is whatever you want really, you’d certainly get a good amount out of it for the price of just one PS5 game, so it all depends what you’re after, but the PS5 is potentially a much bigger outlay. 

19 minutes ago, MattyP said:

Don't think anyone was... 

Well...

47 minutes ago, Wiper said:

requires a big initial outlay

19 minutes ago, MattyP said:

Still a £121 upfront cost if you go for this.

And my response was, no it doesn't - the outlay required depends on the length of time you want to buy in at - could be anything from 7 days to 3 years. If people really don't think GP is for them, they could spend a tiny amount to give it a try for a week and find out either way. And if they like it, they can then turn that to 3 years for £130 (or about £50 for one year etc) (it'll cost £10:99 to upgrade at that point rather than £1).

I mean, you're being a tiny bit selective with my quote there, given the full one is

It's a reasonable outlay at base cost, the discounted approach is incredible value but requires a big initial outlay

!

(which is really ugly copy and I'm distressed to have to bring attention to it. Using 'outlay' at all, never mind twice in one sentence - yuck!)

Even at base cost it’s cheaper than to buy a console with one new game, and then there’s All Access and not forgetting Xcloud, and PC! 

I think there will be very few people buying new Xbox’s now who don’t also subscribe to Game Pass, as their whole eco system is now quite firmly bedded in with it, it’d be like having a PC without Windows, sure you can do it, but would you want to? 

I am paying £10.99 a month* for mine. As despite the upgrade offer being excellent valued, I can't afford an outlay like that. So it will end up costing me more. It does bug that some will promote this service on here as 'Just £1 for 3 years'. I know you aren't saying it is only £1 and you know there is an additional cost, but you make it sound way easier than it is.

*Technically £21.98 as MS still haven't done anything about family accounts. Before anyone starts, we make use of PC and Cloud and not just the Xbox consoles themselves.

7 minutes ago, Wiper said:

I mean, you're being a tiny bit selective with my quote there, given the full one is

"It's a reasonable outlay at base cost, the discounted approach is incredible value but requires a big initial outlay"

That changes nothing about my point though - the discounted approach does *not* rely on a big initial outlay - you can upgrade 1 year, 2 years, or 3 years. 1 year would be about £40 - absolutely not a 'big' initial outlay at all. It's less than one game to gain access to hundreds for a year.

Just now, bradigor said:

I am paying £10.99 a month* for mine. As despite the upgrade offer being excellent valued, I can't afford an outlay like that.

So why not just upgrade 1 year? Upgrade at the cost you can, and then hope there is still an offer on when that runs out?

It's not £120 or nothing - it's £120 *maximum*

3 minutes ago, rgraves said:

That changes nothing about my point though - the discounted approach does *not* rely on a big initial outlay - you can upgrade 1 year, 2 years, or 3 years. 1 year would be about £40 - absolutely not a 'big' initial outlay at all. It's less than one game to gain access to hundreds for a year.

Yes it is a big outlay. I don't see how you're not getting this? £40-£120 to you may be small change, but to some that is huge. We have a budget we stick to and cut out a lot of services to allow for GPU. Sharing Netflix, Amazon, etc with other family members also cutting out TV itself to balance things. 

4 minutes ago, bradigor said:

It does bug that some will promote this service on here as 'Just £1 for 3 years'. I know you aren't saying it is only £1 and you know there is an additional cost, but you make it sound way easier than it is.

Indeed! Think that was the initial point... it's not. Sure you can buy different sub durations up front but its not £1 for three years as someone stated upthread. :)

Anyway quite enjoying Psychonauts... :D 

6 minutes ago, bradigor said:

Yes it is a big outlay. I don't see how you're not getting this? £40-£120 to you may be small change, but to some that is huge. We have a budget we stick to and cut out a lot of services to allow for GPU. Sharing Netflix, Amazon, etc with other family members also cutting out TV itself to balance things. 

If you're paying £10:99 a month for a gaming subscription, £40 is not a big outlay. Just stop it for 3-4 months and then upgrade for a year - saved you about 50% right there (1 year would be about £50 versus the £130 you're currently playing).

I think you can do the trick just with months too. It doesn't have to be a full year (but it's ideal as when I did it I got another free month per year for turning on autorenewal and switching it back off again). £15 for 3 months, £20 for 6 on cdkeys for gold. That might give you a few months reprieve to save up?

Also looking into using MS reward points to take the edge off? 

But I'm sure you're sick of hearing about it. I get it, it's the Terry Pratchett explaining expensive and cheap shoes.  

Maybe it's just me, but if things were that tight I'd look at that £80 saving and be happy - not upset at the person who pointed it out. I'd tell my teenage son to play whatever he already owned for 3-4 months (or borrow from friends etc) and then he'd have GP for a year after that - and I'd have another £80 in the budget.

5 minutes ago, rgraves said:

Maybe it's just me, but if things were that tight I'd look at that £80 saving and be happy - not upset at the person who pointed it out. I'd tell my teenage son to play whatever he already owned for 3-4 months (or borrow from friends etc) and then he'd have GP for a year after that - and I'd have another £80 in the budget.

:lol:

1. Not upset, just discussing.

2. I have a teenage son with ADHD and autism who looks to gaming as a safety crutch. I too have ADHD and saving £80 would wreck me and still not be saved. 

It isn't as simple as you'd think. 

Edit: Thank you though, I've just written down a note for a new article on the site!

Edit 2: Sorry that sounds insincere, it isn't meant to. I genuinely thought about doing a piece about ADHD, money, gaming, servies, etc off the back of this