Xbox Game Pass

8 minutes ago, AK Bell said:

I think you can do the trick just with months too. It doesn't have to be a full year (but it's ideal as when I did it I got another free month per year for turning on autorenewal and switching it back off again). £15 for 3 months, £20 for 6 on cdkeys for gold. That might give you a few months reprieve to save up?

Also looking into using MS reward points to take the edge off? 

But I'm sure you're sick of hearing about it. I get it, it's the Terry Pratchett explaining expensive and cheap shoes.  

Honeslty I tried a little while back by getting a deal for 3 months GPU for £15 I think and like I stated, the 'extra' money I had went on other things that all of a sudden became super important. 

I have just started MS Rewards using the automation thing, see what that does for me. :) 

It’s like mobile phone contracts too. I never understood why people would go monthly, and not drop a G straight up, and get half your money back a year later when you flip it. But you wouldn’t berate someone for it, people just see the initial outlay and think it’s too much.

I have no idea on your personal circumstances, but mate there is a relatively huge saving to be had - and if things are that tight surely it's worth trying to figure it out?

Download some games with gold stuff to help get through the 3-4 months for example?

Have you considered rinsing MS Rewards - you could easily get enough credit there to cover the 3-4 months as well with a little focus and patience.

EDIT: See you did spot MS rewards - absolutely take a look at that, you can rack up the points needed for a month of GP in no time at all! Hope it helps mate!

2 minutes ago, rgraves said:

I have no idea on your personal circumstances, but mate there is a relatively huge saving to be had - and if things are that tight surely it's worth trying to figure it out?

Download some games with gold stuff to help get through the 3-4 months for example?

Have you considered rinsing MS Rewards - you could easily get enough credit there to cover the 3-4 months as well with a little focus and patience.

EDIT: See you did spot MS rewards - absolutely take a look at that, you can rack up the points needed for a month of GP in no time at all! Hope it helps mate!

As said, I have ADHD so it really isn't as simple as doing the obvious thing. Yes I could stop, but my brain would force me to find something else. That something would still cost money. 

I am obsessive by nature, so being obsessed by games is better for me than drink, drugs, gambling. Which is why I avoid all three pretty much. I do drink now and again, but that is done by strictly only ever buying 1-2 drinks  at a time and ONLY having the flat. It would be cheaper to buy a case of cider, but it wouldn't be good for me to have it. The temptation isn't there. It's hard to explain properly in a real time post, but hope that makes sense. 

4 minutes ago, Chooch said:

Jesus Christ - the guy has explained his situation far more than he already needs to, let it go.  These things aren't as easy as people without the same concerns think sometimes.

Nah it's cool. By discussing it, it helps :) Also hoipefully helps others understand too. 

I learned only in the last year or so, that a LOT of my depression was caused by not understanding or embracing my own ADHD, which is a major change I have made. 

6 minutes ago, Chooch said:

Jesus Christ - the guy has explained his situation far more than he already needs to, let it go.  These things aren't as easy as people without the same concerns think sometimes.

Or, you know, discuss and help - which hopefully the MS rewards thing will do. Is it so bad if the end result of this is that he find a way to use that to get GP for free? Would it have been better for him to have not known about that and just carry on paying money each month he perhaps didn't need to?

EDIT - that's cool @bradigor, honestly I can't begin to understand - I'm not trying to be difficult, I'm honestly trying to understand in even a tiny way and to help.

2 minutes ago, rgraves said:

Or, you know, discuss and help - which hopefully the MS rewards thing will do. Is it so bad if the end result of this is that he find a way to use that to get GP for free? Would it have been better for him to have not known about that and just carry on paying money each month he perhaps didn't need to?

EDIT - that's cool @bradigor, honestly I can't begin to understand - I'm not trying to be difficult, I'm honestly trying to understand in even a tiny way and to help.

Nol didn't take it in any other way. I've written before about lack of understanding on the site. But I've learned lots since then, such as the need to open up and be honest. If you have never been in the situation I have, then I shouldn't expect you to understand. So by talking about it, especially the mental health aspects, it can help others understand and empathise. You don't need to agree, it's not aboutforcing you to my opinion. Especially as I can see the logic of your point.  

Everyone is talking a cross purposes here, of course there is a bigger initial outlay if you subscribe to something for three years rather than pay monthly regardless of the savings in the long run. 

@bradigor Thank you. Honestly, it's good to be able to discuss - that's how we all learn new things right, by talking and communicating. It's nice to be able to go back and forth to resolution without either side feeling the need to start a petulant point-scoring match - which too many online conversations just disintegrate into.

Good luck with rewards!

I’ve just finished Quantum Break and I fucking loved it, will put some impressions in the thread for it later, but don’t pass on it, it’s really, really good. 

@bradigor - understand the whole saving thing, just wanted to make sure you saw this which was posted earlier, 7-day GP Ultimate codes:

https://www.eneba.com/gb/xbox-xbox-game-pass-ultimate-7-days-subscription-xbox-one-windows-10-xbox-live-key-global

If you buy 4 of these at once, you get 4 weeks of GP Ultimate for £3.10 (scroll down to select the cheapest price). Each code will just extend your subscription a week, so you don't need to let your membership lapse or save for an initial outlay. I used them earlier today, and can confirm the codes work on UK accounts.

2 hours ago, Stanley said:

I’ve just finished Quantum Break and I fucking loved it, will put some impressions in the thread for it later, but don’t pass on it, it’s really, really good. 

Agreed, I really enjoyed it, it was short and well-paced. I even enjoyed the TV show! 

2 minutes ago, Gabe said:

Agreed, I really enjoyed it, it was short and well-paced. I even enjoyed the TV show! 

Yeah I did, I always got up and made myself a cup of tea to drink watching it, like a little treat. I loved the story too especially if you take the time to read everything, and there is a lot! 

44 minutes ago, wavey said:

@bradigor - understand the whole saving thing, just wanted to make sure you saw this which was posted earlier, 7-day GP Ultimate codes:

https://www.eneba.com/gb/xbox-xbox-game-pass-ultimate-7-days-subscription-xbox-one-windows-10-xbox-live-key-global

If you buy 4 of these at once, you get 4 weeks of GP Ultimate for £3.10 (scroll down to select the cheapest price). Each code will just extend your subscription a week, so you don't need to let your membership lapse or save for an initial outlay. I used them earlier today, and can confirm the codes work on UK accounts.

Oh cool. that might work for a bit, thanks 

1 hour ago, wavey said:

Is there a limit on how many you can stack? I think I read somewhere there is (may be hotukdeals) but I'm not sure. 

I'm looking to extend my GP by 6 months so I'm near the 3 year limit and I'm tempted to buy a whole bunch. Seems the cheapest method. 

2 minutes ago, Ry said:

Is there a limit on how many you can stack? I think I read somewhere there is (may be hotukdeals) but I'm not sure. 

Not sure, sorry - I can tell you I bought 12 codes a few weeks ago, and 4 today, they all worked ok. 

18 minutes ago, wavey said:

Not sure, sorry - I can tell you I bought 12 codes a few weeks ago, and 4 today, they all worked ok. 

Cheers! 

3 hours ago, Stanley said:

I started it a few years back (on my base XB1) and only got so far but stopped for whatever reason.

I remember enjoying what I played and love Alan Wake and Control so I will go back to it at some point, just so much to play!

Been at this all night, downloaded piles and piles of games. It's a gold mine, god knows when I'll get to play it all :lol: Finally going to play the Halo Master collection, worth it for that alone.

2 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

Been at this all night, downloaded piles and piles of games. It's a gold mine, god knows when I'll get to play it all :lol: Finally going to play the Halo Master collection, worth it for that alone.

My gamepassing this week has been FIFA (which I don’t care enough about to buy at full price) and slay the spire (which I’ve bought everywhere and play all the time: there’s no need to use game pass for it).

44 minutes ago, Ry said:

I'm looking to extend my GP by 6 months so I'm near the 3 year limit and I'm tempted to buy a whole bunch. Seems the cheapest method. 

I put 6 months worth on, over the weekend and it worked fine. Just going to keep topping up every couple of months until they stop it. 

4 hours ago, bradigor said:

Honeslty I tried a little while back by getting a deal for 3 months GPU for £15 I think and like I stated, the 'extra' money I had went on other things that all of a sudden became super important. 

I have just started MS Rewards using the automation thing, see what that does for me. :) 

I was going to say are you not doing rewards?

My Gamepass sub has literally cost me the £1 when I converted my existing Live sub - I've currently got 18 months worth and you can easily earn points faster than you need to spend them to extend the sub (don't forget that every live account in the household can earn Microsoft points)

37 minutes ago, shirubagan said:

I gave up on QB at the second or third level. Might go back before I dive into Control properly. Can I skip the TV show?

Yeah and and you can skip all the cutscenes too, it’s not actually that long, so quite a nice palette cleanser. I did enjoy all the extra bits and bobs, I’m a sucker for all that stuff Remedy adds in.