Xbox Game Pass

Harsin

I got a big truck, filled it with wood, then apparently I needed metal first. Spent 15 minutes failing to resolve that then gave up.

Think I'll start again and see if I can do better

Even once I got past the "no don't even try taking the lorry down that road, come back another time" thing I still reasonably often found myself spending bloody ages getting a mission done by faffing to and fro across the map, only to later discover there's a trailer already loaded with everything it needs, right there nearby. Really must get back into the game, I still have a few maps to get to.

edit - and remember to engage the AWD! It doesn't default to on, which is crazy.

4 hours ago, spanx said:

Going to give it another try as it's something I know I'll like, possibly love, if I can get past the initial pain, but in thirty minutes I struggled to wring any fun out of it.

Sounds like my attempts to convince the other half to try anal....

So I've been messing around on the PC with GamePass tonight. It's a while since I have. Improved a fair bit since I last used it!

Installed EA Play. Seamless integration with that. Surprised how many more games are in the EA play app itself! Managed to spot Nex Machina in there which I've been meaning to try for ages...really impressed. Souped up version of Roboton. It's great. I really should have played this earlier! :) Another GamePass win for me.

Also lots of older PC games I didn't try back in the day so looking forward to giving some of them a go at some point. GP really keeps giving insane....

Fuck me, Snowrunner doesn't want you to like it does it? It's definitely more (and I use this term very loosely) accessible but the alien physics, obtuse and difficult to read UI and bizarre structure are unwelcoming as shit.

Like I got through the tutorial, unlocked the garage, started the first quests and dropped off at the farm. Fine. Then the first quest is to pick up 3 things. Got the first of the 3 things, took it to the destination, couldn't unload it. No idea why not. It doesn't tell you except that there's either no room on your trailer or no room on the loading bay.

It took me ages to find the things I had to pick up in the first place because the UI is so unfriendly (I wanted to say hostile because it seems like everything is actively fighting against you). Urrrrrrrrrgh.

I'll start the mission again and see if it's something I missed but after other people's posts in here I made an actual effort to pay attention to what it was telling me so I didn't miss anything. 

Started up Snowrunner on Tuesday night, and played through to building the first bridge. I can see where some of the frustrations can come from, although some of mine were self inflicted! A detour sign that I probably should have listened to as managed to get stuck in the mud, I then proceeded to pull down about 15 trees before I finally winched myself out.

I imagine it could be good fun in the multiplayer side, so if anyone fancies seeing what that is like, add my gamertag (in sig)!

Snow Runner seems like a strange game, it’s so difficult and slow driving anywhere I kept wishing I could just get out and walk. I had this narrative running through my mind about the town I was in being evacuated owing to a natural disaster which had left it covered in mud and uninhabitable, this was my explanation for why there are no people or other vehicles, or basically any signs of life. Not only that but all comms and power have been lost meaning there’s no sat nav and I don’t have a map - the only way to find out where I am is to locate watch towers which must have been erected in the first place should a natural disaster of this magnitude ever occur. At least then I’ll be able to scan the environment and download it to the local hard drive in my truck, somehow. Also the town must be run by robots because although no one else lives here all the timber yards and supply depots appear functional. I still haven’t worked out who I am or why I’m there. 

Seems like there's a chance my Xbox order will be delivered next week, more than a week earlier than anticipated. 

Any hidden gems I should be aware of on Game Pass? I'm going to need a couple of good co-op games (looking forward to The Ascent when it arrives) and a couple of good singleplayer games to get me started. At least one of them should show off the powers of the Series X just so I can flex while my kids watch me play. 

Games I've planned to try out so far: 
State of Decay 2

Doom Eternal

Snowrunner

Ah, the Gears series. Forgotten about them. I haven't played them since 1 & 2 back on the X360, maybe I should try and play through the entire series on the new console. Same goes for the Halo Master Chief Collection. Damn, I've got so many games to play I'm going to struggle to find the time. 

14 minutes ago, Rayn said:

Ah, the Gears series. Forgotten about them. I haven't played them since 1 & 2 back on the X360, maybe I should try and play through the entire series on the new console. Same goes for the Halo Master Chief Collection. Damn, I've got so many games to play I'm going to struggle to find the time. 

MCC alone is worth buying a series X for, I’d start with that tbh. 

SnowRunner tip that’ll make your first few hours a hundred times easier and more enjoyable:

once you have access to the garage and have penetrated the weird UI you should have two additional trucks in there available to you. Sell the expensive one and then buy the first available off-road truck (think it’s about $80k). Stick some wheels on it that have a ‘good’ off-road rating and you’ll have a vehicle that can navigate the first areas in Michigan with relative ease and won’t get stuck in every little ditch and patch of mud you come across. It has All-Wheel-Drive and a differential lock on it too which when activated in low gear will get you out of just about any jam and I haven’t got stuck once since I got it.

Turned the experience from “Ultimate Fucking Hassle: The Game” into something far more enjoyable and chilled for me. 

If ever there was a game that makes you question just what the fuck you’re doing with your life then it’s this one but there’s a weirdly compelling and unique loop to it that I found quite addictive once I was up and trucking.

28 minutes ago, carlospie said:

Just think if snowrunner was on ps5 it would cost 70 pounds 

Yeah and no one would buy it because it’s crap. 

p.s. it’s £32.99 on PlayStation

27 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

It's pure marmite gaming. There's definitely a pull of something there bit it's hard work to get to it.

Yeah that’s all I got from my brief time with it. 

45 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

It's pure marmite gaming. There's definitely a pull of something there bit it's hard work to get to it.

If you're after some chilled crawling, Pure Rock Crawling on Steam is absolutely brilliant. It gets straight to the point.

Has anyone played Narita boy? Despite pixel art indie games being a massive turn off, I gave it a go and I really like the blurry CRT aesthetic. I like the bits about the creator’s memories too, but the combat is massively one note and there’s a bit of pointless backtracking.